    seems to be a generic problem with Windows 7 64bit as many different laptops
    and desktops show the same symptoms.

    Does anybody know how to solve it?
    Lorne, Aug 11, 2010

  2. Lorne

    Carlos Guest

    Lorne,
    Just a hunch but won't hurt to try.
    Audio chipsets embedded in motherboards usually have 3 options in BIOS:
    Auto, Enabled, Disabled.
    Reboot, enter BIOS setup and set it to "Enabled" because the default is
    usually "Automatic".
    Post back your results.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Aug 12, 2010

  3. Lorne

    Lorne Guest

    Just checked and it was already set to Enabled.

    Lorne, Aug 12, 2010
  4. Lorne

    Rob Guest

    "Lorne" <> wrote in message

    > Whenever I put my computer into sleep mode it restarts with no sound. I
    > have the latest drivers installed and all Windows updates. If I start
    > Media Player and click on a music track I get an error message saying
    > there is an error with my sound device, there might not be one, it might
    > be in use by another program or it is not functioning properly. A reboot
    > solves the issue.
    >
    > I have searched on Google and found hundreds of others with the same
    > problem (nearly all with HD audio like I have) but I can't find a
    > solution. It seems to be a generic problem with Windows 7 64bit as many
    > different laptops and desktops show the same symptoms.
    >
    > Does anybody know how to solve it?

    What make and model laptop? Does yours use the same hardware sound device
    as the others? If so the chances are that the power saving features of the
    sound
    hardware driver are not working properly. Only a driver fix from the sound
    hardware
    manufacturer is likely to resolve it.
    I noticed on several desktops that the HD sound hardware does not have any
    power features tab available in Device Manager, so presumably the sound chip
    in these is never put into low power mode during sleep; The sound still
    works
    after waking up these machines.
    If your sound hardware does have an 'Allow windows to turn off this device
    to save
    power' checkbox, try disabling it. If sound now works after sleep mode, the
    soundcard drivers probably need fixing.
    Rob, Aug 12, 2010