    retired TV repair man?

    Help really appreciated. Cheers.

    ---
    archierob, May 29, 2004

  2. archierob

    colinco Guest

    In article <c99id6$fep$>,
    says...
    > Its not high end stuff and the motherboard is a PC Chips MLR
    > 810 which is fully integrated.

    Quickest cure might be a cheap video card in the AGP slot.

    PS time you updated yr anti virus defs
    colinco, May 29, 2004

  3. archierob

    steve Guest

    archierob wrote:
    > Woke up this morning to find that no signal or something or other has
    > appeared on the screen. This is my spare comp and the monitor on this is not
    > working on main comp either which leads me to think that the problem lies in
    > the computer/motherboard. The connection to the back of main comp does seem
    > very 'floppy'. Its not high end stuff and the motherboard is a PC Chips MLR
    > 810 which is fully integrated. Can the video just pack up or can wires
    > connections just come loose? Is it a job I can fix myself or my pal who is a
    > retired TV repair man?
    >
    > Help really appreciated. Cheers.

    A mate had the same problem yesterday......and I suggested he check the
    pins on the connector at the end of the cable coming FROM the monitor to
    see if all 15 pins were upright and intact.

    Sure enough.....he counted 14 pins. His daughter had - two years ago -
    reconnected the monitor to the PC and bent one of the pins. I
    straightened with pliers.....but warned him it would be weak and would
    likely snap off if the screen was disconnected more than just a very few
    more times.

    If you have all the pins, then it may be that the wires in the cable
    have somehow become detached or deteriorated.

    It would not normally be the PC....but some electrical fault might have
    shorted the video circuitry out....but then you might find the system
    won't boot, either.
    steve, May 29, 2004
  4. In article <40b9036f$>, steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz
    says...
    > archierob wrote:
    > > Woke up this morning to find that no signal or something or other has
    > > appeared on the screen. This is my spare comp and the monitor on this is not
    > > working on main comp either which leads me to think that the problem lies in
    > > the computer/motherboard. The connection to the back of main comp does seem
    > > very 'floppy'. Its not high end stuff and the motherboard is a PC Chips MLR
    > > 810 which is fully integrated. Can the video just pack up or can wires
    > > connections just come loose? Is it a job I can fix myself or my pal who is a
    > > retired TV repair man?
    > >
    > > Help really appreciated. Cheers.

    > A mate had the same problem yesterday......and I suggested he check the
    > pins on the connector at the end of the cable coming FROM the monitor to
    > see if all 15 pins were upright and intact.
    >
    > Sure enough.....he counted 14 pins. His daughter had - two years ago -
    > reconnected the monitor to the PC and bent one of the pins. I
    > straightened with pliers.....but warned him it would be weak and would
    > likely snap off if the screen was disconnected more than just a very few
    > more times.

    Some displays actually have less than 15 pins, I have seen as few as 12
    in a plug. The actual video data only needs about 10 and the rest are
    extra grounds and used to detect the capabilities of the monitor plus at
    least one spare.
    Patrick Dunford, May 30, 2004
  5. archierob

    steve Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <40b9036f$>, steve@mozilla-tbird0.6.org.nz
    > says...

    >>Sure enough.....he counted 14 pins. His daughter had - two years ago -
    >>reconnected the monitor to the PC and bent one of the pins. I
    >>straightened with pliers.....but warned him it would be weak and would
    >>likely snap off if the screen was disconnected more than just a very few
    >>more times.

    > Some displays actually have less than 15 pins, I have seen as few as 12
    > in a plug. The actual video data only needs about 10 and the rest are
    > extra grounds and used to detect the capabilities of the monitor plus at
    > least one spare.

    In that case, one can only hope the manual describing the monitor (paer,
    CD or on the Net) is clear as to the wiring in the cable.
    steve, May 30, 2004