    system needs to have a wireless card installed too? The only thing located
    in my device manager/network adapters is the ethernet card. I am using
    symatico dsl. Thank you for any help
    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=, Aug 28, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=

    Lem Guest

    julie wrote:
    > I have a belkin wirless g router connected to my windows xp system and
    > belkin wireless g desktop card installed in my windows98 se pc. The card is
    > not picking up any signal from the router. I am wondering if the windows xp
    > system needs to have a wireless card installed too? The only thing located
    > in my device manager/network adapters is the ethernet card. I am using
    > symatico dsl. Thank you for any help

    If I understand you correctly, your XP system is connected to the router
    by ethernet cable. If that's so, then you do not need a wireless card
    in that system (unless, of course, you want to move it farther away from
    the router than the cable will go).

    Your connections should be:

    DSL line --> DSL Modem --> "Internet" port on Belkin router

    (some routers have built-in DSL modems; in that case the DSL line
    connects directly to the router)

    XP System (ethernet card) --> "Lan" port on Belkin router.

    There can be any number of reasons why the Belkin wireless card
    installed in your 98se system isn't picking up a signal:

    Card defective or not installed properly (includes both hardware and
    software installation).
    Card turned off in power-saving options
    Router wireless system turned off
    System too far from router or signal being blocked.
    Lem, Aug 28, 2006

  3. Thank you Lem for replying. Yes it is connected to the router by ethernet
    cable(blue) and it is hooked up properly, line..modem...router..In network
    adapter properties it says that the belkin is working properly, the card is
    not turned off, I don't believe the router is turned off (all lights are on
    and green) and I have moved the 98se system into the same small room as the
    xp computer(distance can not be a problem) Any other suggestions?
    Thank you

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=, Aug 29, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=

    Malke Guest

    julie wrote:

    > Thank you Lem for replying. Yes it is connected to the router by
    > ethernet
    > cable(blue) and it is hooked up properly, line..modem...router..In
    > network adapter properties it says that the belkin is working
    > properly, the card is not turned off, I don't believe the router is
    > turned off (all lights are on and green) and I have moved the 98se
    > system into the same small room as the
    > xp computer(distance can not be a problem) Any other suggestions?
    > Thank you
    >>
    >> Card defective or not installed properly (includes both hardware and
    >> software installation).
    >> Card turned off in power-saving options
    >> Router wireless system turned off
    >> System too far from router or signal being blocked.

    Did you configure the wireless aspect of the router? You can test if the
    wireless part of the router is working by having a friend with a
    wireless-enabled laptop come over (or use your own laptop if you have
    one). The laptop's wireless should see your wireless network.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Aug 29, 2006
  5. =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=

    Lem Guest

    julie wrote:
    > Thank you Lem for replying. Yes it is connected to the router by ethernet
    > cable(blue) and it is hooked up properly, line..modem...router..In network
    > adapter properties it says that the belkin is working properly, the card is
    > not turned off, I don't believe the router is turned off (all lights are on
    > and green) and I have moved the 98se system into the same small room as the
    > xp computer(distance can not be a problem) Any other suggestions?
    > Thank you
    >> Card defective or not installed properly (includes both hardware and
    >> software installation).
    >> Card turned off in power-saving options
    >> Router wireless system turned off
    >> System too far from router or signal being blocked.

    I suppose the first question I should have asked is, has your wireless
    network ever worked correctly? If it did once work, what happened just
    before it stopped working? I'm going to assume that you have never had
    a successful wifi connection, but that you can successfully get to the
    Internet from the XP computer.

    Odds are that the wireless section of the router is turned on, because
    that's the usual factory default. Although you're probably exaggerating
    a bit in saying _all_ of the lights are on and green(probably only one
    of the LAN lights is on), the critical one is the one labeled WLAN. If
    that light is on, the router's wifi radio is running. While you're
    think of lights, you might also look at the back of your 98se box check
    the lights on your wifi adapter. As I understand it, Belkin adapaters
    have 2 lights: a power light, which should be solidly on, and a Link
    light, which is either solidly on (connected) or slowly flashing (radio
    active, but not linked to a network). What do you see?

    Malke's suggestion to have a friend bring over a wifi-enabled laptop
    will help determine if your router is working properly. If you can't do
    this, or if the laptop also can't see your network,one possibility is
    that the person who initially setup your router may have disabled SSID
    broadcast. Many wifi router manufacturers suggest doing this as a
    security measure, although in fact it provides virtually no added
    security, and can lead to various problems -- mainly that without the
    SSID broadcast, the router is invisible to your wifi adapter.

    From your XP box, open a browser window and enter the address of your
    router. You will have to check in your router's User Guide, but the
    address probably is 192.168.2.1. If this doesn't work and you don't
    have your manual, you can download the correct manual from
    www.belkin.com. You should see a "Status" page. One of the things
    shown is the SSID. This should be a name that is unique to your network.

    Click the "Login" button and enter the router's password (the default is
    to leave the password window blank). Click on the "Wireless" button and
    then on the "Channel and SSID" link. Make sure there is something
    entered in the box for SSID. If what is there is the default (belkin54
    g or similar), change it to something unique to you. Make certain that
    there is a check mark next to "Broadcast SSID." If you have a
    "Protected mode" option, set it to "off". "Wireless mode" can either be
    "54G-auto" or "G-only". Be sure to click "Apply changes" when you are
    done. Logout of the router's configuration utility.

    Now try your 98se box. Do you see the network name you assigned? If
    so, good. Now you'll have to go back into the router's utility and set
    the proper encryption, but that's the next installment.

    ..
    Lem, Aug 29, 2006
  6. I don't know if I configured the wireless. I followed the directions to
    install it. I even did it over a couple of times with the support line of
    Belkin. I have spent many hours talking to them (phone) and their final
    answer was to upgrade to newer windows. That is not possible for me to do.
    I do have a gf who has a wireless laptop but I won't be able to see her till
    the weekend. Any other way of checking? Thank you

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=, Aug 29, 2006
  7. It has never worked at all, and yes I can get online from the xp computer.
    One out of the 4 lan lights is on and the others (power,wirless, internet,
    modem) are all on too. I don't see anything labeled WLAN. I have never seen
    either of the lights on the adapter light up. I am the installer of the
    router (again with Belkins help) I went to the status page the only thing I
    had to change was the wireless mode. I changed it to G-only. Everything else
    was as u said. I am in the 98se box and I don't see the network name I
    assigned. Perhaps Im not looking in the right place? Thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=, Aug 29, 2006
  8. =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=

    Malke Guest

    julie wrote:

    > I don't know if I configured the wireless. I followed the directions
    > install it. I even did it over a couple of times with the support
    > line of
    > Belkin. I have spent many hours talking to them (phone) and their
    > final
    > answer was to upgrade to newer windows. That is not possible for me
    > to do. I do have a gf who has a wireless laptop but I won't be able to
    > see her till
    > the weekend. Any other way of checking? Thank you

    Briefly, the way you configure the wireless part of a router is to first
    be connected to the router via an ethernet cable. Then open a browser
    and type the router's IP address in the addressbar like:

    http://192.168.2.1 [enter] (I think this is the right address for
    Belkins, but you can check in your manual or on their website).

    This should take you to the router's login screen. Put in the username
    and password you used when setting it up, or if you didn't change this
    from the default put in the default (check manual).

    Now you should see a link or tab to Wireless. Make sure it is enabled,
    that you changed the SSID to something other than the default and
    something memorable (I don't like people to use their names; choose
    something else). Enable the security - you need to choose a security
    method that is supported by your hardware. IOW, if you have a newer
    wireless adapter it will support WPA2-PSK. Older adapters will need to
    use WEP. Naturally, you will have checked to make sure whatever
    wireless hardware you put on your Win98 box supports Win98. All the
    wireless adapters I've seen do support Win98SE but not the original
    Win98, so that's another thing for you to check. To see what version of
    Win98 you have, right-click on My Computer and choose Properties. This
    will bring up the System applet and on the General tab you'll see
    "Windows 98 Second Edition" if that's what you have.

    Save your settings and now any wireless-enabled machine in your near
    vicinity will see your wireless network. When they try to connect, they
    will need to enter the encryption key you set. Because Win98 doesn't
    have a built-in wireless network function like XP does, you'll need to
    use whatever software came with the wireless adapter.

    Other than that, AFAIK the only way to check if the wireless is
    transmitting is to have another computer (like your friend's laptop) on
    so you can see if your network shows up.

    HTH,

    Malke
    Malke, Aug 29, 2006
  9. =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=

    Lem Guest

    julie wrote:

    > It has never worked at all, and yes I can get online from the xp computer.
    > One out of the 4 lan lights is on and the others (power,wirless, internet,
    > modem) are all on too. I don't see anything labeled WLAN. I have never seen
    > either of the lights on the adapter light up. I am the installer of the
    > router (again with Belkins help) I went to the status page the only thing I
    > had to change was the wireless mode. I changed it to G-only. Everything else
    > was as u said. I am in the 98se box and I don't see the network name I
    > assigned. Perhaps Im not looking in the right place? Thanks
    >> ..

    What model router and wifi adapter do you have?

    I'm looking at the manual for Belkin's "High Speed Mode Wireless G
    Router" model F5D7231-4. It's probably similar, but not identical to,
    the model you have. The "wireless" light is probably the same as the
    "WLAN" light I referred to, and the fact that it's on confirms my guess
    that the router's radio is on.

    The fact that the lights on the adapter are off indicates that's where
    the problem is. Looking at Belkin's site, I'm guessing that you have
    some version of the F5D7000 "54G Wireless Desktop Network Card."

    Did you install this card? Did you install the software BEFORE you
    installed the card? Does the icon for the Belkin configuration utility
    show in your system tray (next to the clock)? Is there a red X over it?

    Where are you looking to see if your network is there?

    Don't give up. We're pretty close to resolving this.
    Lem, Aug 29, 2006
  10. Wireless G router model F5D7230-4 Wireless G Desktop Card version 3000tt .
    After reading your last reply I checked the wireless light on the router and
    it is now off. (before it was lit) That must have happened after I changed
    to the (G-only) I did install the software before the card. The icon does
    show in the system tray. It is red but there is no X over it. I am looking
    in the belkin wireless configuration utility, under the wireless network tab.
    (on the 98 se) The avaliable network box is empty,i refreshed it many times
    and still empty.
    Thank you

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=, Aug 29, 2006
  11. Just after sending the last post the wireless light lit up green and stayed
    on again......

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=, Aug 29, 2006
  12. =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=

    Lem Guest

    julie wrote:
    > Just after sending the last post the wireless light lit up green and stayed
    > on again......
    >
    > "julie" wrote:
    >
    >> Wireless G router model F5D7230-4 Wireless G Desktop Card version 3000tt .
    >> After reading your last reply I checked the wireless light on the router and
    >> it is now off. (before it was lit) That must have happened after I changed
    >> to the (G-only) I did install the software before the card. The icon does
    >> show in the system tray. It is red but there is no X over it. I am looking
    >> in the belkin wireless configuration utility, under the wireless network tab.
    >> (on the 98 se) The avaliable network box is empty,i refreshed it many times
    >> and still empty.
    >> Thank you

    I can't find anything on the Belkin site about a model 3000tt. A Google
    search suggests that it may be the same as the F5D7000tt. I didn't see
    anything about a "tt" model either, but all of the F5D7000 wireless
    cards have the same manual. If you have the manual that came with your
    card, refer to it if some of the following doesn't match what you see.

    Open the Belkin utility to the page that should list the available
    networks. Click on the "Advanced" button.

    You should get to a dialog that has several tabs. Click on the
    "wireless networks" tab. There should be a box with the label "Enable
    radio." Make sure that there is a check in this box. Click "Apply" (if
    you just put the check mark there). If there already was a check mark,
    clear it, click Apply, then put the check back and click Apply again.

    Click on the "Refresh" button. Does your network show up in the list now?

    Click on the "Advanced" button (not the same as the one you clicked
    before). Select "Any available network (access point preferred)".

    Click on the "Link Status" tab and "Site Survey" tabs. Each of these
    should show your router. You will be able to recognize that it is your
    router because you changed the SSID from belkin54g to julie (or
    something else you will recognize).

    If the "Enable radio" box was already checked, and nothing shows up in
    site survey, then either the card is not properly seated in the slot in
    the computer, or it is defective. You can try the "Diagnostics" tab and
    see if it suggests anything, but I would think the most likely thing is
    that the card is not seated fully.

    Turn off the 98se box and unplug it. Open the case and using proper
    static precautions (touch a ground point first, and don't do this in a
    carpeted room) carefully remove the card from the computer and then
    firmly re-insert it into the slot. Power up and see if the lights come
    on. If not, you can try picking another slot, but at that point, you
    may well have a defective card.
    Lem, Aug 30, 2006
  13. "the part number on the box is F5D7000tt I did as you said and still the
    box is empty.(no networks) I have a link status tab but not a site survey
    tab. On the link status the SSID is blank....I did a diagnostic check.
    Interrup, loopback and LED passed. Memory test failed...microcode memory
    failed, sprom failed....may be corrupted-checksum is not correct and control
    registers failed. I'll wait your reply before reinstalling the card again
    thanks

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=, Aug 30, 2006
  14. that is the correct http...and it does support WPA2-PSK I am using win98SE
    How do I enter the encryption key using the software that came with the
    adapter?
    Thanks

    HTH,

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=, Aug 30, 2006
  15. =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=

    Malke Guest

    julie wrote:

    > that is the correct http...and it does support WPA2-PSK I am using
    > win98SE How do I enter the encryption key using the software that came
    > with the adapter?
    > Thanks

    When the computer's wireless adapter software senses a wireless network
    to which you can connect, it will ask you to enter the key. Then you
    enter the same key you did on the router. I can't give you more
    specific help because I don't use that particular wireless adapter.
    Maybe it would be better for you to have a knowledgeable friend or
    professional set you up and show you how to connect. I'm not saying
    this to hurt your feelings; just being practical.

    Malke
    Malke, Aug 30, 2006
  16. =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=

    Lem Guest

    julie wrote:

    > "the part number on the box is F5D7000tt I did as you said and still the
    > box is empty.(no networks) I have a link status tab but not a site survey
    > tab. On the link status the SSID is blank....I did a diagnostic check.
    > Interrup, loopback and LED passed. Memory test failed...microcode memory
    > failed, sprom failed....may be corrupted-checksum is not correct and control
    > registers failed. I'll wait your reply before reinstalling the card again
    > thanks
    >> If the "Enable radio" box was already checked, and nothing shows up in
    >> site survey, then either the card is not properly seated in the slot in
    >> the computer, or it is defective. You can try the "Diagnostics" tab and
    >> see if it suggests anything, but I would think the most likely thing is
    >> that the card is not seated fully.
    >>
    >> Turn off the 98se box and unplug it. Open the case and using proper
    >> static precautions (touch a ground point first, and don't do this in a
    >> carpeted room) carefully remove the card from the computer and then
    >> firmly re-insert it into the slot. Power up and see if the lights come
    >> on. If not, you can try picking another slot, but at that point, you
    >> may well have a defective card.

    Sounds like the card is bad or fully seated. You have nothing to lose
    by trying to re-seat the card. You might also try a different slot, if
    one is available. I suspect, however, that the card is defective.
    Lem, Aug 30, 2006
  17. =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=

    Lem Guest

    Lem wrote:
    > julie wrote:
    >>
    >> "the part number on the box is F5D7000tt I did as you said and still
    >> the box is empty.(no networks) I have a link status tab but not a
    >> site survey tab. On the link status the SSID is blank....I did a
    >> diagnostic check. Interrup, loopback and LED passed. Memory test
    >> failed...microcode memory failed, sprom failed....may be
    >> corrupted-checksum is not correct and control registers failed. I'll
    >> wait your reply before reinstalling the card again
    >> thanks
    >>> If the "Enable radio" box was already checked, and nothing shows up
    >>> in site survey, then either the card is not properly seated in the
    >>> slot in the computer, or it is defective. You can try the
    >>> "Diagnostics" tab and see if it suggests anything, but I would think
    >>> the most likely thing is that the card is not seated fully.
    >>>
    >>> Turn off the 98se box and unplug it. Open the case and using proper
    >>> static precautions (touch a ground point first, and don't do this in
    >>> a carpeted room) carefully remove the card from the computer and then
    >>> firmly re-insert it into the slot. Power up and see if the lights
    >>> come on. If not, you can try picking another slot, but at that
    >>> point, you may well have a defective card.
    >>>

    > Sounds like the card is bad or fully seated. You have nothing to lose
    > by trying to re-seat the card. You might also try a different slot, if
    > one is available. I suspect, however, that the card is defective.

    That should be ...NOT fully seated ...
    Lem, Aug 30, 2006
  18. The card is working, I borrowed another xp computer and installed it. The
    signal is excellent. Guess I'll have to update the win98se to Xp. Thank you
    very much Lem and Malke for all of your help. I appreciated it very much! :)

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=, Sep 1, 2006
  19. =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=

    Lem Guest

    julie wrote:
    > The card is working, I borrowed another xp computer and installed it. The
    > signal is excellent. Guess I'll have to update the win98se to Xp. Thank you
    > very much Lem and Malke for all of your help. I appreciated it very much! :)
    > "Lem" wrote:

    >>> Sounds like the card is bad or fully seated. You have nothing to lose
    >>> by trying to re-seat the card. You might also try a different slot, if
    >>> one is available. I suspect, however, that the card is defective.

    >> That should be ...NOT fully seated ...

    Well, I'm glad you got it working. In general, if the hardware of your
    98se box will support XP, you'll probably be better off upgrading. With
    respect to wifi, at least, you'll be able to use more secure encryption.

    Be careful before you decide to upgrade however. In addition to XP's
    requirements for processor speed, RAM (you should have at least 256mb,
    and preferably 512mb, regardless of MS's official 64 MB !! "minimum"),
    and hard drive size, you may have hardware for which no XP-compliant
    driver is available.

    Which brings me to the next point. If the card is OK, but it didn't
    work in your 98se box, there are two likely reasons: (1) you didn't
    install the proper 98se driver or (2) the PCI slot into which you had
    inserted the card is bad. If it's just a driver problem, then if you
    upgrade and install using the WinXP driver, things should work. But if
    there's a hardware problem on your motherboard, an upgrade won't help.

    Before you go to the trouble and expense of upgrading, I suggest the
    following:

    1. With the card out of the machine, uninstall all traces of the Belkin
    software from your 98se box. Use add/remove software or any "uninstall"
    entry in the "All Programs" list and also "remove" or "uninstall" the
    adapter from Device Manager.

    2. Find the serial number of your card and email or telephone Belkin
    support and ask them which version of the Win98se driver you should use.
    (there's a version 2.4.5 from 2003/4 and a version 4 from 2005). Then go
    http://www.belkin.com/support/download.asp?download=F5D7000&lang=1&mode
    and download it. Install that driver.

    3. Physically install the card in a different PCI slot.
    Lem, Sep 1, 2006
  20. Im gong away for a week and will do as you have said before doing anything
    else. I'll keep you informed. Thanks again

    =?Utf-8?B?anVsaWU=?=, Sep 2, 2006