No Signal Detected

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Tappy Lappy, Jun 13, 2005.

  1. Tappy Lappy

    Tappy Lappy Guest

    Windows XP home (SP2)
    Athlon 2.6
    ASROCK K7S8X
    ATI Radeon 9800SE
    Sony CD rewriter
    Benq DVD rewriter
    Maxtor and Seagate HDs
    Soundblaster Live card

    PC shuts down and I get the "No Signal detected" message then the system
    reloads windows
    but the power light on the front panel doesn't flicker..

    I have tried various combinations of the above drives/writers and in fact
    the Seagate is a new
    drive with a completely new OS installed at the weekend, but the problem
    existed even before that.

    I notice that the CPU can run at 99% usage with EASYCD7 (creator7.exe)
    before some crashes
    and in fact it happens often when I am using this application, but don't
    think it is this, as
    it can work ok for days and also the machine rebooted three times yesterday
    when running a full scan with Kaspersky AV.

    Thought it might be a temperature problem as the CPU is running at 50 -52C
    and the motherboard 33C, but
    I believe this is normal.

    Any ideas please.

    Tappy Lappy, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Tappy Lappy

    Paul Kersey Guest

    "Tappy Lappy" <Tappy > wrote in message
    > Windows XP home (SP2)
    > Athlon 2.6
    > ASROCK K7S8X
    > ATI Radeon 9800SE
    > Sony CD rewriter
    > Benq DVD rewriter
    > Maxtor and Seagate HDs
    > Soundblaster Live card

    +My first thought was that it might be the power supply is failing. Make
    sure the PS fan is running. Use air can to clean out the fan.
    You are asking a lot of the PS, if you have upgraded the machine with any of
    the above, it may be that it requires more power. Have any idea what your PS
    is rated at? With all the above running, you probably need a 500 watt ps.

    > PC shuts down and I get the "No Signal detected" message then the system
    > reloads windows
    > but the power light on the front panel doesn't flicker..
    >
    > I have tried various combinations of the above drives/writers and in fact
    > the Seagate is a new
    > drive with a completely new OS installed at the weekend, but the problem
    > existed even before that.

    +What do you mean by "various combinations"?

    > I notice that the CPU can run at 99% usage with EASYCD7 (creator7.exe)
    > before some crashes
    > and in fact it happens often when I am using this application, but don't
    > think it is this, as
    > it can work ok for days and also the machine rebooted three times

    yesterday
    > when running a full scan with Kaspersky AV.
    >

    > Thought it might be a temperature problem as the CPU is running at 50 -52C
    > and the motherboard 33C, but
    > I believe this is normal.
    >
    > Any ideas please.

    +Might eliminate some possible suspects by running the following
    maintainance:
    Disc Cleanup.
    Defrag.
    Windows update.
    Anti-virus/firewall suite update and scan.
    Adware/Spyware updates and scans.

    Paul Kersey, Jun 22, 2005