    Thanks,

    DT
    , May 20, 2005

  2. Scooby Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > My access points 1230 have IOS 12.2(11)JA1, and they do not understand
    > the command "show ip route".
    >
    > Does the command change to something else on the AP or do I have to
    > upgrade the IOS ?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > DT

    An access point is a layer 2 device - therefore, it does not understand
    routing. What in particular are you trying to accomplish?
    Scooby, May 20, 2005

  3. Joe Matuscak Guest

    [This followup was posted to comp.dcom.sys.cisco and a copy was sent to
    the cited author.]

    In article <>,
    says...
    > My access points 1230 have IOS 12.2(11)JA1, and they do not understand
    > the command "show ip route".
    >
    > Does the command change to something else on the AP or do I have to
    > upgrade the IOS ?

    They aren't routers, they just point to a default gateway.

    --
    Joe Matuscak
    Rohrer Corporation
    Joe Matuscak, May 20, 2005
  4. Guest

    Scooby wrote:
    > <> wrote in message
    > > My access points 1230 have IOS 12.2(11)JA1, and they do not

    understand
    > > the command "show ip route".
    > >
    > > Does the command change to something else on the AP or do I have to
    > > upgrade the IOS ?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > DT
    > >

    > An access point is a layer 2 device - therefore, it does not

    understand
    > routing. What in particular are you trying to accomplish?

    I could not access the remote tftp server ( the problem in fact was the
    firewall on the tftp server ) and tried to look for the settings of
    default gateway in the route table. So I tried "show ip route" and uh
    oh :)

    Thanks for the explanation.

    DT
    , May 20, 2005
  5. Scooby Guest

    <> wrote in message

    > Scooby wrote:
    > > <> wrote in message
    > > > My access points 1230 have IOS 12.2(11)JA1, and they do not

    > understand
    > > > the command "show ip route".
    > > >
    > > > Does the command change to something else on the AP or do I have to
    > > > upgrade the IOS ?
    > > >
    > > > Thanks,
    > > >
    > > > DT
    > > >

    > > An access point is a layer 2 device - therefore, it does not

    > understand
    > > routing. What in particular are you trying to accomplish?

    > I could not access the remote tftp server ( the problem in fact was the
    > firewall on the tftp server ) and tried to look for the settings of
    > default gateway in the route table. So I tried "show ip route" and uh
    > oh :)
    >
    > Thanks for the explanation.
    >
    > DT

    Ah, then you'd use the 'ip default-gateway' command to specify your gateway.
    At this point, the device is more like a network client, not a router.

    Jim
    Scooby, May 20, 2005
  6. On 20 May 2005 10:37:11 -0700, "" <> wrote:

    ~
    ~ Scooby wrote:
    ~ > <> wrote in message
    ~ > news:...
    ~ > > My access points 1230 have IOS 12.2(11)JA1, and they do not
    ~ understand
    ~ > > the command "show ip route".
    ~ > >
    ~ > > Does the command change to something else on the AP or do I have to
    ~ > > upgrade the IOS ?
    ~ > >
    ~ > > Thanks,
    ~ > >
    ~ > > DT
    ~ > >
    ~ >
    ~ > An access point is a layer 2 device - therefore, it does not
    ~ understand
    ~ > routing. What in particular are you trying to accomplish?
    ~
    ~ I could not access the remote tftp server ( the problem in fact was the
    ~ firewall on the tftp server ) and tried to look for the settings of
    ~ default gateway in the route table. So I tried "show ip route" and uh
    ~ oh :)
    ~
    ~ Thanks for the explanation.
    ~
    ~ DT

    The specific command to set your default route in a non-routing
    IOS device such as an AP is "ip default-gateway w.x.y.z". So
    to see this, you could use:

    ap#show run | include default-gateway
    ip default-gateway 192.168.5.1

    If you don't have a default-gateway defined, then the device will
    rely on proxy-arp.

    Aaron
    Aaron Leonard, May 20, 2005