    adapter to let me use an ethernet port to configure a router that has not
    previously been configured so it has no IP address yet?

    Thanks
    Boe, Mar 30, 2006

  2. Hi!

    Boe wrote:
    > I'm thinking about buying a new laptop without a serial port. Is there an
    > adapter to let me use an ethernet port to configure a router that has not
    > previously been configured so it has no IP address yet?

    use an USB to serial adapter.

    Greets,
    Thomas
    Thomas Jessen, Mar 30, 2006

  3. Boe

    Dophi Guest

    There are so many USB to RS-232 converters and they are so cheap.
    You can use it to connect console cable.
    Dophi, Mar 30, 2006
  4. Boe

    NETADMIN Guest

    USB to Serial Converter is easily available in market.
    Use that for this.
    NETADMIN, Mar 30, 2006
  5. Boe

    Boe Guest

    Thanks!

    Boe, Mar 30, 2006
  6. Boe

    Boe Guest

    Thank you

    Boe, Mar 30, 2006
  7. Boe

    Boe Guest

    Thank you

    Boe, Mar 30, 2006
  8. Boe

    BG Guest

    then hope it works.

    I have tried a couple of different USB-Serial adapters and have not found
    any that work reliably with all my network gear (HP, Cisco..etc). Any
    models that you guys can recommend?

    -Barry

    BG, Apr 3, 2006