No restore points?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by XS11E, Jul 6, 2008.

  1. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    Vista Ultimate 64 SP1 on ASUS M2A-VM with Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2 GB
    memory (was 4 GB but finally had to remove 2 GB to prevent constant
    weird failures.)

    I inadvertently hit the "Sleep" button on my keyboard (I *K*N*O*W* I
    should have disabled it!) and had the usual problems getting the PC to
    awake, it did wake up but failed to install a USB Printer and also
    failed to install my mouse software so.....

    I rebooted and... had a bunch of grief, the machine just refused to
    boot. I got the little green indicator which would freeze, the screen
    went black and only power off worked.

    OK, BTDT before, I know how to fix it, boot into safe mode, open Device
    Manager and delete Hauppauge WINTV 1600, reboot and all is well
    except.... oops.... can't re-install Hauppauge card, different errors
    so...

    Why not just do a system restore? Because "System Restore is turned
    off" and all restore points are gone! WTF?

    BTW, USP printer and USB mouse install properly on first reboot.

    I'll somehow get the Hauppauge card to install or I'll restore an
    Acronis Image but... WTF turned off System Restore and lost all my
    restore points? I don't dual boot, only one OS is installed.

    XS11E, Jul 6, 2008

  2. "XS11E" <> wrote in message

    > Vista Ultimate 64 SP1 on ASUS M2A-VM with Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2 GB
    > memory (was 4 GB but finally had to remove 2 GB to prevent constant
    > weird failures.)
    >
    > I inadvertently hit the "Sleep" button on my keyboard (I *K*N*O*W* I
    > should have disabled it!) and had the usual problems getting the PC to
    > awake, it did wake up but failed to install a USB Printer and also
    > failed to install my mouse software so.....
    >
    > I rebooted and... had a bunch of grief, the machine just refused to
    > boot. I got the little green indicator which would freeze, the screen
    > went black and only power off worked.
    >
    > OK, BTDT before, I know how to fix it, boot into safe mode, open Device
    > Manager and delete Hauppauge WINTV 1600, reboot and all is well
    > except.... oops.... can't re-install Hauppauge card, different errors
    > so...
    >
    > Why not just do a system restore? Because "System Restore is turned
    > off" and all restore points are gone! WTF?
    >
    > BTW, USP printer and USB mouse install properly on first reboot.
    >
    > I'll somehow get the Hauppauge card to install or I'll restore an
    > Acronis Image but... WTF turned off System Restore and lost all my
    > restore points? I don't dual boot, only one OS is installed.

    Are you dual booting with XP? If so XP is destroying your restore points
    every time you boot into XP. See:

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 7, 2008

  3. "XS11E" <> wrote in message

    > Vista Ultimate 64 SP1 on ASUS M2A-VM with Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2 GB
    > memory (was 4 GB but finally had to remove 2 GB to prevent constant
    > weird failures.)
    >
    > I inadvertently hit the "Sleep" button on my keyboard (I *K*N*O*W* I
    > should have disabled it!) and had the usual problems getting the PC to
    > awake, it did wake up but failed to install a USB Printer and also
    > failed to install my mouse software so.....
    >
    > I rebooted and... had a bunch of grief, the machine just refused to
    > boot. I got the little green indicator which would freeze, the screen
    > went black and only power off worked.
    >
    > OK, BTDT before, I know how to fix it, boot into safe mode, open Device
    > Manager and delete Hauppauge WINTV 1600, reboot and all is well
    > except.... oops.... can't re-install Hauppauge card, different errors
    > so...
    >
    > Why not just do a system restore? Because "System Restore is turned
    > off" and all restore points are gone! WTF?
    >
    > BTW, USP printer and USB mouse install properly on first reboot.
    >
    > I'll somehow get the Hauppauge card to install or I'll restore an
    > Acronis Image but... WTF turned off System Restore and lost all my
    > restore points? I don't dual boot, only one OS is installed.

    Sorry, here is the link:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/926185

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 7, 2008
  4. XS11E

    Mick Murphy Guest

    Colin, he said he is not dual-booting.
    Last line in his post.
    --
    Mick Murphy - Qld - Australia

    Mick Murphy, Jul 7, 2008
  5. "XS11E" <> wrote in message

    > Vista Ultimate 64 SP1 on ASUS M2A-VM with Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2 GB
    > memory (was 4 GB but finally had to remove 2 GB to prevent constant
    > weird failures.)
    >
    > I inadvertently hit the "Sleep" button on my keyboard (I *K*N*O*W* I
    > should have disabled it!) and had the usual problems getting the PC to
    > awake, it did wake up but failed to install a USB Printer and also
    > failed to install my mouse software so.....
    >
    > I rebooted and... had a bunch of grief, the machine just refused to
    > boot. I got the little green indicator which would freeze, the screen
    > went black and only power off worked.
    >
    > OK, BTDT before, I know how to fix it, boot into safe mode, open Device
    > Manager and delete Hauppauge WINTV 1600, reboot and all is well
    > except.... oops.... can't re-install Hauppauge card, different errors
    > so...
    >
    > Why not just do a system restore? Because "System Restore is turned
    > off" and all restore points are gone! WTF?
    >
    > BTW, USP printer and USB mouse install properly on first reboot.
    >
    > I'll somehow get the Hauppauge card to install or I'll restore an
    > Acronis Image but... WTF turned off System Restore and lost all my
    > restore points? I don't dual boot, only one OS is installed.

    How much free space is on the hard drive?

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 7, 2008
  6. XS11E

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    Those constant weird failures when 4 GB are present can be patched by
    reducing memory speed from 800 MHz to 667 MHz.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Jul 7, 2008
  7. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    "Colin Barnhorst" <> wrote:

    > "XS11E" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> Vista Ultimate 64 SP1 on ASUS M2A-VM with Athlon 64 X2 5200+, 2
    >> GB memory (was 4 GB but finally had to remove 2 GB to prevent
    >> constant weird failures.)
    >>
    >> I inadvertently hit the "Sleep" button on my keyboard (I
    >> *K*N*O*W* I should have disabled it!) and had the usual problems
    >> getting the PC to awake, it did wake up but failed to install a
    >> USB Printer and also failed to install my mouse software so.....
    >>
    >> I rebooted and... had a bunch of grief, the machine just refused
    >> to boot. I got the little green indicator which would freeze,
    >> the screen went black and only power off worked.
    >>
    >> OK, BTDT before, I know how to fix it, boot into safe mode, open
    >> Device Manager and delete Hauppauge WINTV 1600, reboot and all is
    >> well except.... oops.... can't re-install Hauppauge card,
    >> different errors so...
    >>
    >> Why not just do a system restore? Because "System Restore is
    >> turned off" and all restore points are gone! WTF?
    >>
    >> BTW, USP printer and USB mouse install properly on first reboot.
    >>
    >> I'll somehow get the Hauppauge card to install or I'll restore an
    >> Acronis Image but... WTF turned off System Restore and lost all
    >> my restore points? I don't dual boot, only one OS is installed.
    >>

    > How much free space is on the hard drive?

    Around 60 G.

    XS11E, Jul 7, 2008
  8. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    Carlos <> wrote:

    > Those constant weird failures when 4 GB are present can be patched
    > by reducing memory speed from 800 MHz to 667 MHz.

    Much easier to pull 2 GB, I don't need more than that and I can use the
    other 2GB elsewhere.

    The Usenet Improvement Project:
    http://improve-usenet.org

    XS11E, Jul 7, 2008
  9. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    New problem, was: No restore points?

    XS11E <> wrote:

    > I rebooted and... had a bunch of grief, the machine just refused
    > to boot. I got the little green indicator which would freeze, the
    > screen went black and only power off worked.
    >
    > OK, BTDT before, I know how to fix it, boot into safe mode, open
    > Device Manager and delete Hauppauge WINTV 1600, reboot and all is
    > well except.... oops.... can't re-install Hauppauge card,
    > different errors so...

    The Hauppauge card defied re-installation of the drivers. I decided to
    drop back and punt so... re-installed the original HP motherboard, did
    a system restore to the original Vista Home 32 bit, Hauppauge card
    installed perfectly!

    Then, Windows Update installed a bunch of updates, PC wouldn't boot,
    finally did, the card had NO drivers installed and even the latest
    drivers from Hauppauge won't install, screen goes black or computer
    locks up.

    So. It doesn't matter if I'm running 32 or 64 bit, doesn't matter
    which MB (the HP uses an nVidia chip set, the ASUS uses an ATI chipset)
    Microsoft has an update that just kills the Hauppauge card!

    Any ideas before I have to remove each update one by one to see which
    it is?

    XS11E, Jul 7, 2008
  10. Re: New problem, was: No restore points?

    "XS11E" <> wrote in message

    > The Hauppauge card defied re-installation of the drivers. I decided to
    > drop back and punt so... re-installed the original HP motherboard, did
    > a system restore to the original Vista Home 32 bit, Hauppauge card
    > installed perfectly!
    >
    > Then, Windows Update installed a bunch of updates, PC wouldn't boot,
    > finally did, the card had NO drivers installed and even the latest
    > drivers from Hauppauge won't install, screen goes black or computer
    > locks up.
    >
    > So. It doesn't matter if I'm running 32 or 64 bit, doesn't matter
    > which MB (the HP uses an nVidia chip set, the ASUS uses an ATI chipset)
    > Microsoft has an update that just kills the Hauppauge card!
    >
    > Any ideas before I have to remove each update one by one to see which
    > it is?

    > The Usenet Improvement Project:
    > http://improve-usenet.org

    What a PITA!

    Colin Barnhorst, Jul 7, 2008
  11. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    Fixed, was No restore points?

    XS11E <> wrote:

    > Why not just do a system restore? Because "System Restore is
    > turned off" and all restore points are gone! WTF?

    OK, it's fixed. After swapping the MB back to the original HP board
    and doing a recovery I had failures of the Hauppauge card in Vista 32
    as well so... I put the good ASUS MB back in and restored Vista 64
    Ultimate from an Acronis Image. I checked restore points and found
    that apparently Acronis doesn't turn on system restore? It's on now
    but that explains why my restore points were gone, they were never
    there, the previous Vista Ultimate 64 was also an Acronis restore!

    Since the image was made before the MSFT updates, the Hauppauge card
    worked fine, the updates that I got today were new ones, different from
    the ones that I installed before so maybe MSFT fixed the problem?
    Anyway, the system is working now, I can watch TV on my computer and
    I'll be quick to remove any updates if I have any additional problems.

    Just thought I'd let you know....

    XS11E, Jul 9, 2008
  12. Re: Fixed, was No restore points?

    Acronis doesn't do anything with the state of your system
    restore. It makes an image of whatever is there at the
    time. If system restore is on Acronis leaves it on. If
    system restore is off Acronis leaves it off.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 9, 2008
  13. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    Bobby Johnson <> wrote:

    > Acronis doesn't do anything with the state of your system
    > restore. It makes an image of whatever is there at the
    > time. If system restore is on Acronis leaves it on. If
    > system restore is off Acronis leaves it off.

    That's what I thought, obviously I was wrong...

    XS11E, Jul 9, 2008
  14. Re: Fixed, was No restore points?

    I have been using Acronis for over 2 years and to date it
    has never altered my system restore settings. The images
    have always had the same settings as the original. So, I
    seriously doubt Acronis is altering your settings either.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 9, 2008
  15. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    Bobby Johnson <> wrote:

    > I have been using Acronis for over 2 years and to date it
    > has never altered my system restore settings. The images
    > have always had the same settings as the original. So, I
    > seriously doubt Acronis is altering your settings either.

    I seldome doubt what's already been proven.

    XS11E, Jul 10, 2008
  16. Re: Fixed, was No restore points?

    If you really think Acronis is altering your system settings
    then you should contact Accronis Tech support and discuss it
    with them. But, you really haven't proven anything; you
    have only made an assumption without any hard evidence to
    substantiate your assumption.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 10, 2008
  17. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    Bobby Johnson <> wrote:

    > But, you really haven't proven anything; you have only made an
    > assumption without any hard evidence to substantiate your
    > assumption.

    You've not been paying attention, have you?

    XS11E, Jul 10, 2008
  18. Re: Fixed, was No restore points?

    And you haven't replicated the symptom in a controlled
    environment. You made an assumption which doesn't prove
    anything!

    If you start crying 'the sky is falling' then everyone is
    supposed to believe you and take your word for it?

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 11, 2008
  19. XS11E

    XS11E Guest

    Bobby Johnson <> wrote:

    > And you haven't replicated the symptom in a controlled
    > environment. You made an assumption which doesn't prove
    > anything!

    I've made no assumption, I'd established sufficient proof of what I've
    said. What you believe is of no consequence to anyone.

    End of conversation, go demonstrate your lack of reading skills and
    comprehension elsewhere, OK?

    XS11E, Jul 11, 2008
  20. Re: Fixed, was No restore points?

    As I stated before, you have not proved anything!

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 11, 2008