  1. I bought a secondhand computer from a friend, and realized later that he
    didn't have a Restore disk. I use Windows Millennium ,and so far I haven't
    had a problem. Is there any way I can make a Restore Disk? Thank you
    Newton Lightfoot, Jun 13, 2005

  2. Newton Lightfoot

    Vanguard Guest

    "Newton Lightfoot" <> wrote in message
    news:bAdre.946098$...
    >I bought a secondhand computer from a friend, and realized later that
    >he
    > didn't have a Restore disk. I use Windows Millennium ,and so far I
    > haven't
    > had a problem. Is there any way I can make a Restore Disk? Thank you

    If he didn't provide the installation media, or there wasn't a hidden
    partition on the drive containing a customized install or drive image,
    your friend never did sell you a copy of Windows. Most likely your
    "friend" is still using their copy of Windows and all he/she sold you
    was the hardware.
    Vanguard, Jun 13, 2005

  3. Newton Lightfoot

    dadiOH Guest

    Newton Lightfoot wrote:
    > I bought a secondhand computer from a friend, and realized later that
    > he didn't have a Restore disk. I use Windows Millennium ,and so far I
    > haven't had a problem. Is there any way I can make a Restore Disk?
    > Thank you

    You could make an "image" of the hard drive and - if need be - use it to
    get back to where you were when you made it. No way to start from
    scratch.

    --
    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    dadiOH's dandies v3.06...
    dadiOH, Jun 13, 2005
  4. Newton Lightfoot

    Ron Martell Guest

    "Newton Lightfoot" <> wrote:

    >I bought a secondhand computer from a friend, and realized later that he
    >didn't have a Restore disk. I use Windows Millennium ,and so far I haven't
    >had a problem. Is there any way I can make a Restore Disk? Thank you

    Check on the hard drive for a folder that containts the installation
    files.

    There are 3 likely places for these to be:
    c:\windows\options\install
    c:\windows\options\cabs
    c:\winme

    The installation files will include 20 or more files with names
    beginning Win and with the .CAB file extension (e.g. Win_010.cab).

    If these files exist then you can copy the entire folder contents to a
    CD and use that for reinstalling your Windows Me if and when needed.

    You will also need to locate the Windows Product key for your
    computer. If there is no sticker on the computer case with this
    information then you can locate it in the registry. Use Start - Run -
    REGEDIT and search the registry for ProductKey (all one word).

    Good luck

    Ron Martell Duncan B.C. Canada
    --
    Microsoft MVP