No response when I click on link

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Daave, Feb 1, 2004.

  1. Daave

    Daave Guest

    Hi, good peeps.

    I'm running Windows 98 SE and using Internet Explorer (6.0.2800.1106IS)
    as my browser. Often when I click on a link such as the one on this NPR
    page:
    http://freshair.npr.org/day_fa.jhtml?display=day&todayDate=01/30/2004 ,
    nothing happens.

    When I mouse-over, it says:
    javascript:getMedia('FA', '30-Jan-2004', '1', 'RM,WM');

    I use WebWasher, but after disabling, still no joy.

    I've even shut off Zone Alarm with the same result.

    In the past, I could use K-Meleon successfully in a JavaScript situation
    like this, but this doesn't even work in this particular situation.

    I did a little Googling, and saw from a post on this URL:
    http://reagle.org/joseph/blog/technology/python/breathing-fresh-air
    that it might be more of programming problem, but the original poster
    seemed to be able to open with IE; it was with *other* browsers that the
    link didn't work.

    FWIW, I've tried the repair function, too.

    I hope someone can figure this one out! TIA.

    -Dave

    Daave, Feb 1, 2004

  2. Daave

    docmill Guest

    "Daave" <> wrote in

    > Hi, good peeps.
    >
    > I'm running Windows 98 SE and using Internet Explorer (6.0.2800.1106IS)
    > as my browser. Often when I click on a link such as the one on this NPR
    > page:
    > http://freshair.npr.org/day_fa.jhtml?display=day&todayDate=01/30/2004 ,
    > nothing happens.
    >
    > When I mouse-over, it says:
    > javascript:getMedia('FA', '30-Jan-2004', '1', 'RM,WM');
    >
    > I use WebWasher, but after disabling, still no joy.
    >
    > I've even shut off Zone Alarm with the same result.
    >
    > In the past, I could use K-Meleon successfully in a JavaScript situation
    > like this, but this doesn't even work in this particular situation.
    >
    > I did a little Googling, and saw from a post on this URL:
    > http://reagle.org/joseph/blog/technology/python/breathing-fresh-air
    > that it might be more of programming problem, but the original poster
    > seemed to be able to open with IE; it was with *other* browsers that the
    > link didn't work.
    >
    > FWIW, I've tried the repair function, too.
    >
    > I hope someone can figure this one out! TIA.
    >
    > -Dave

    I can open it with IE 6.0.28 and Mozilla and Opera. Try uninstall and
    reload IE 6. Make sure you install with the anti-virus disabled.

    --
    +++++++++++ SEND ME A LINK +++++++++++

    docmill, Feb 1, 2004

  3. Daave

    Harrison Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 02:44:10 GMT, "Daave"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi, good peeps.
    >
    >I'm running Windows 98 SE and using Internet Explorer (6.0.2800.1106IS)
    >as my browser. Often when I click on a link such as the one on this NPR
    >page:
    >http://freshair.npr.org/day_fa.jhtml?display=day&todayDate=01/30/2004 ,
    >nothing happens.
    >
    >When I mouse-over, it says:
    >javascript:getMedia('FA', '30-Jan-2004', '1', 'RM,WM');
    >
    >I use WebWasher, but after disabling, still no joy.

    You'll need to get off the site and clear your cache. Otherwise the
    script will remain blocked by Webwasher.

    Harrison, Feb 1, 2004
  4. Daave

    Daave Guest

    Harrison wrote:
    > On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 02:44:10 GMT, "Daave"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Hi, good peeps.
    >>
    >> I'm running Windows 98 SE and using Internet Explorer
    >> (6.0.2800.1106IS) as my browser. Often when I click on a link such
    >> as the one on this NPR page:
    >> http://freshair.npr.org/day_fa.jhtml?display=day&todayDate=01/30/2004
    >> , nothing happens.
    >>
    >> When I mouse-over, it says:
    >> javascript:getMedia('FA', '30-Jan-2004', '1', 'RM,WM');
    >>
    >> I use WebWasher, but after disabling, still no joy.

    > You'll need to get off the site and clear your cache. Otherwise the
    > script will remain blocked by Webwasher.

    Perfect! Worked like a charm. Thanks, Harrison.

    Out of curiosity, how can WebWasher still be blocking the script, even
    after I shut it off?

    And also out of curiosity, the window that comes up with RealPlayer
    embedded in it has no address bar. Is there any keyboard shortcut to
    enable this option? The "File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, Help" area
    on top is also hidden.

    -Dave

    Daave, Feb 1, 2004
  5. Daave

    Harrison Guest

    On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 03:44:30 GMT, "Daave"
    <> wrote:

    >Harrison wrote:
    >> On Sun, 01 Feb 2004 02:44:10 GMT, "Daave"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Hi, good peeps.
    >>>
    >>> I'm running Windows 98 SE and using Internet Explorer
    >>> (6.0.2800.1106IS) as my browser. Often when I click on a link such
    >>> as the one on this NPR page:
    >>> http://freshair.npr.org/day_fa.jhtml?display=day&todayDate=01/30/2004
    >>> , nothing happens.
    >>>
    >>> When I mouse-over, it says:
    >>> javascript:getMedia('FA', '30-Jan-2004', '1', 'RM,WM');
    >>>
    >>> I use WebWasher, but after disabling, still no joy.

    >> You'll need to get off the site and clear your cache. Otherwise the
    >> script will remain blocked by Webwasher.

    >Perfect! Worked like a charm. Thanks, Harrison.
    >
    >Out of curiosity, how can WebWasher still be blocking the script, even
    >after I shut it off?

    Once the page is loaded under Webwasher, it is cached without the
    scripts, so when you reload it the scripts won't run. Webwasher will
    also block scripts on subsequent pages from the same site, even if you
    disable it before loading them.

    >And also out of curiosity, the window that comes up with RealPlayer
    >embedded in it has no address bar. Is there any keyboard shortcut to
    >enable this option? The "File, Edit, View, Favorites, Tools, Help" area
    >on top is also hidden.

    Don't know. Real Networks is a disease, IMHO. I boycott sites which
    only offer media in their format.

    Harrison, Feb 1, 2004