    the data is coming in, and I can hear the normal Windows sounds.

    I tried Restore back to yesterday. No help.

    I am at a loss as to what else to try. Suggestions please.

    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 1, 2003

  2. Bill Schowengerdt

    Michael Guest

    In <news:>,
    Bill Schowengerdt said:

    > Hi,
    >
    > Win XP...I was listening to a winamp stream and stopped it to go to a
    > MediaPlayer stream. But when Media Player loaded, it said it
    > connected, then buffered, and says it is playing normally. However,
    > no sound is coming out of my headphones.
    >
    > So I tried several other players. Still no sound. The connection shows
    > the data is coming in, and I can hear the normal Windows sounds.
    >
    > I tried Restore back to yesterday. No help.
    >
    > I am at a loss as to what else to try. Suggestions please.

    Is "wave audio" (or whatever) muted in your machine's Windows or
    soundcard-proprietary mixer?

    ((U))

    Michael, Aug 1, 2003

  3. On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 15:31:19 -0500, While I was using pressure to stop
    the bleeding, Bill Schowengerdt <> posted:
    ..
    >Hi,
    >
    >Win XP...I was listening to a winamp stream and stopped it to go to a
    >MediaPlayer stream. But when Media Player loaded, it said it connected,
    >then buffered, and says it is playing normally. However, no sound is
    >coming out of my headphones.
    >
    >So I tried several other players. Still no sound. The connection shows
    >the data is coming in, and I can hear the normal Windows sounds.
    >
    >I tried Restore back to yesterday. No help.
    >
    >I am at a loss as to what else to try. Suggestions please.

    I forgot to add that CDs play fine.

    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 2, 2003
  4. On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 19:18:23 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop the
    bleeding, "trout" <> posted:
    ..
    >Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 15:31:19 -0500, While I was using pressure to stop
    >> the bleeding, Bill Schowengerdt <> posted:
    >> .
    >>> Hi,
    >>>
    >>> Win XP...I was listening to a winamp stream and stopped it to go to a
    >>> MediaPlayer stream. But when Media Player loaded, it said it
    >>> connected, then buffered, and says it is playing normally. However,
    >>> no sound is coming out of my headphones.
    >>>
    >>> So I tried several other players. Still no sound. The connection
    >>> shows the data is coming in, and I can hear the normal Windows
    >>> sounds.
    >>>
    >>> I tried Restore back to yesterday. No help.
    >>>
    >>> I am at a loss as to what else to try. Suggestions please.

    >> I forgot to add that CDs play fine.

    > Does WMP (or any others) play files that have been downloaded? Is
    >the problem *only* with streaming media?

    Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that. :(

    >What kind of files will/won't play?
    >-

    Or determine that.

    >"How about files that are in your Temporary Internet files?"

    Or that. But they sure sound like good questions that might provide
    illumination.

    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 2, 2003
  5. On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 22:51:12 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop the
    bleeding, "Michael" <> posted:
    ..

    >>> Does WMP (or any others) play files that have been downloaded? Is
    >>> the problem *only* with streaming media?

    >> Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that. :(

    >Does your puter make its accustomed sounds when it boots or when it
    >encounters errors?

    Yes

    >If so, your mp3 codecs are functional, since most Windows system sounds are
    >mp3-compressed.

    >>> What kind of files will/won't play?

    Aren't most streaming songs mp3? They won't play. However, I also just
    started to useJet Audio to play the BBC streams. I cannot recal what
    thier extensions are but it is Real Audio's format. it will not play
    either.

    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 2, 2003
  6. On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 23:25:01 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop the
    bleeding, "trout" <> posted:
    ..
    >Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 19:18:23 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
    >> the bleeding, "trout" <> posted:

    ><snip>
    >
    >>> Does WMP (or any others) play files that have been downloaded? Is
    >>> the problem *only* with streaming media?

    >> Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that. :(
    >>
    >>> What kind of files will/won't play?
    >>> -

    >> Or determine that.
    >>
    >>> "How about files that are in your Temporary Internet files?"

    >> Or that. But they sure sound like good questions that might provide
    >> illumination.

    > Okay; fair enough.
    >A bit more to chew than I'm going to bite off right now then; but I'll
    >come back to it, if you don't get an answer.
    > For now, how about a bit of homework for you. It would probably be a
    >good idea if you opened Windows Explorer, and clicked on View > Folder
    >Options > File Types tab.
    > Scroll down the the list, check the icons, seeing what kind of files
    >are associated with each player. Highlighting an entry will show the
    >file extension, and what opens it (in the lower box).
    > Some familiarity with these will probably go a ways to get you where
    >you're going.

    Since it is almost 3:00 am, i must seek my bed. But, i will do as yoou
    suggested tomorrow.

    Also... someone suggested (via email) that I go to control box and find
    the multimeadia icon, and click on it to look at the multimedia contorls.

    I tried, but there is no multimedia icon in control box. Should there be
    one in XP?

    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 2, 2003
  7. Bill Schowengerdt

    Paul - xxx Guest

    Bill Schowengerdt tried to scribble ...

    > Also... someone suggested (via email) that I go to control box and
    > find the multimeadia icon, and click on it to look at the multimedia
    > contorls.
    >
    > I tried, but there is no multimedia icon in control box. Should there
    > be one in XP?

    It may be called 'Sounds and Audio Devices' .. ;)

    --
    .............................Paul - xxx
    http://www.tvlicensing.biz/

    Paul - xxx, Aug 2, 2003
  8. On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 23:25:01 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop the
    bleeding, "trout" <> posted:
    ..
    >Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
    >
    >> On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 19:18:23 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop
    >> the bleeding, "trout" <> posted:

    ><snip>
    >
    >>> Does WMP (or any others) play files that have been downloaded? Is
    >>> the problem *only* with streaming media?

    >> Unfortunately, I don't know how to do that. :(
    >>
    >>> What kind of files will/won't play?
    >>> -

    >> Or determine that.
    >>
    >>> "How about files that are in your Temporary Internet files?"

    >> Or that. But they sure sound like good questions that might provide
    >> illumination.

    > Okay; fair enough.
    >A bit more to chew than I'm going to bite off right now then; but I'll
    >come back to it, if you don't get an answer.
    > For now, how about a bit of homework for you. It would probably be a
    >good idea if you opened Windows Explorer, and clicked on View > Folder
    >Options > File Types tab.
    > Scroll down the the list, check the icons, seeing what kind of files
    >are associated with each player. Highlighting an entry will show the
    >file extension, and what opens it (in the lower box).
    > Some familiarity with these will probably go a ways to get you where
    >you're going.

    Morning has broken and the first thing (after taking the 17 medications)
    I did was as you instructed. I saw noting I recognized as incorrect. For
    example, MP3 is associated with Jet Audio which I know works because it
    plays CDs.

    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 2, 2003
  9. Bill Schowengerdt wrote:

    > For example, MP3 is associated with Jet Audio which I
    > know works because it plays CDs.

    BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!

    Nhuong Maysam, Aug 2, 2003
  10. Bill Schowengerdt <> wrote:

    >Aren't most streaming songs mp3? They won't play. However, I also just
    >started to useJet Audio to play the BBC streams.

    Good, isn't it, Biil? ;o)

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 2, 2003
  11. On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 23:06:05 +0100, While I was using pressure to stop
    the bleeding, Monsignor Larville Jones MD <>
    posted:
    ..
    >Bill Schowengerdt <> wrote:
    >
    >>Aren't most streaming songs mp3? They won't play. However, I also just
    >>started to useJet Audio to play the BBC streams.

    >Good, isn't it, Biil? ;o)

    Yes it is a great link and Jet Audio played it just fine. I look forward
    to being able to listen to it again when I get my problem solved. But...
    Untill then, I shall need to wait. :(

    Thanks again for telling me about it.

    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 2, 2003
  12. Bill Schowengerdt

    trout Guest

    Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
    <snip>

    > Morning has broken and the first thing (after taking the 17
    > medications) I did was as you instructed. I saw noting I recognized
    > as incorrect. For example, MP3 is associated with Jet Audio which I
    > know works because it plays CDs.

    Well, *that's* working.
    I was thinking more along the lines of what's not.
    That is, what is the file extension of files that will *not* play, and
    the player you're using to try.
    This is by no means my area of expertise (if I have one), but I'll
    do what I can to at least try to move the question along.
    My main inpediment is that I don't generally listen to streaming
    media. I don't like having players connected to the net at all, so I'll
    generally stick to what I can download, and play from the hard-drive.
    Possibly, this thread is already getting too old, and too bloated
    with people morphing to say "bwaha" to attract fresh posters that could
    better help you.
    You may end up having to glean what you can from this, and restate
    the question in a new thread.
    --
    "Sorry I couldn't be of more help."

    trout, Aug 3, 2003
  13. On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 16:12:16 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop the
    bleeding, "trout" <> posted:
    ..
    >Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
    ><snip>
    >
    >> Morning has broken and the first thing (after taking the 17
    >> medications) I did was as you instructed. I saw noting I recognized
    >> as incorrect. For example, MP3 is associated with Jet Audio which I
    >> know works because it plays CDs.

    > Well, *that's* working.
    >I was thinking more along the lines of what's not.
    >That is, what is the file extension of files that will *not* play, and
    >the player you're using to try.
    > This is by no means my area of expertise (if I have one), but I'll
    >do what I can to at least try to move the question along.
    > My main inpediment is that I don't generally listen to streaming
    >media. I don't like having players connected to the net at all, so I'll
    >generally stick to what I can download, and play from the hard-drive.
    > Possibly, this thread is already getting too old, and too bloated
    >with people morphing to say "bwaha" to attract fresh posters that could
    >better help you.
    > You may end up having to glean what you can from this, and restate
    >the question in a new thread.

    For what it is worth. Someone asked me if I could play files I have
    downloaded. I have figured out how to check and I can play WWP3s that I
    have on my HDD.

    I suppose I could try saving the stream to my HDD and seeing if it will
    play from there, but I do not know how to do that.

    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 3, 2003
  14. On Fri, 01 Aug 2003 15:31:19 -0500, While I was using pressure to stop
    the bleeding, Bill Schowengerdt <> posted:
    ..
    >Hi,
    >
    >Win XP...I was listening to a winamp stream and stopped it to go to a
    >MediaPlayer stream. But when Media Player loaded, it said it connected,
    >then buffered, and says it is playing normally. However, no sound is
    >coming out of my headphones.
    >
    >So I tried several other players. Still no sound. The connection shows
    >the data is coming in, and I can hear the normal Windows sounds.
    >
    >I tried Restore back to yesterday. No help.
    >
    >I am at a loss as to what else to try. Suggestions please.

    I went to Dell support and downloaded the latest sound drivers. After
    install things are mostly back to normal. I stil do not understand what
    the problem was, but some things are just going to remain a mystery.

    Thank you all for trying to help.

    Bill Schowengerdt, Aug 3, 2003
  15. Bill Schowengerdt <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 2 Aug 2003 16:12:16 -0700, While I was using pressure to stop the
    >bleeding, "trout" <> posted:
    >.
    >>Bill Schowengerdt wrote:
    >><snip>
    >>
    >>> Morning has broken and the first thing (after taking the 17
    >>> medications) I did was as you instructed. I saw noting I recognized
    >>> as incorrect. For example, MP3 is associated with Jet Audio which I
    >>> know works because it plays CDs.

    >> Well, *that's* working.
    >>I was thinking more along the lines of what's not.
    >>That is, what is the file extension of files that will *not* play, and
    >>the player you're using to try.
    >> This is by no means my area of expertise (if I have one), but I'll
    >>do what I can to at least try to move the question along.
    >> My main inpediment is that I don't generally listen to streaming
    >>media. I don't like having players connected to the net at all, so I'll
    >>generally stick to what I can download, and play from the hard-drive.
    >> Possibly, this thread is already getting too old, and too bloated
    >>with people morphing to say "bwaha" to attract fresh posters that could
    >>better help you.
    >> You may end up having to glean what you can from this, and restate
    >>the question in a new thread.

    >For what it is worth. Someone asked me if I could play files I have
    >downloaded. I have figured out how to check and I can play WWP3s that I
    >have on my HDD.
    >
    >I suppose I could try saving the stream to my HDD and seeing if it will
    >play from there, but I do not know how to do that.

    Total Recorder:
    http://www.highcriteria.com/productfr.htm

    --
    zar 2k3 - ULC Reverend
    NuMbEr Tr3#3!!!!11! on a lits...

    - Panama!"

    - Guy Steele Jr., CLTL2

    Monsignor Larville Jones MD, Aug 5, 2003