No phone for two MORE months: Telecom -> SkypeOut

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Vista, Aug 2, 2006.

  1. Vista

    Vista Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Readers of nz.comp and nz.general may recall my previous posts regarding
    > the
    > Telecoms apparent inability to restore normal phone service in our area
    > following the lightning storms over Kapiti / Horowhenua on July 12th.
    >
    > The voice line was briefly repaired in July 21st, for 4-5 hours, then
    > failed
    > again. On the bright side, the ADSL continued to function from the 21st.
    >
    > We were supposed to get a repair guy around on the 3rd of August, but he
    > came early and showed up this afternoon.
    >
    > The phone still doesn't work as the fault is on the main cable just north
    > of
    > Foxton and that means the cable crew will have to locate the fault and
    > repair it.
    >
    > They can't do that UNTIL THE END OF SEPTEMBER.
    >
    > So no land line for two MORE months for the homes north of Foxton in SH1.
    >
    > Meanwhile....as the Internet is working, I've signed up for SkypeOut and
    > we
    > have been using that for outgoing calls. It fairly reliable....and about
    > 10% of the cost of even the cheapest cell rates / minute.
    >
    > ...and because we have 3.5M / 512k we can now make several outgoing phone
    > calls at the same time......something we could not do before.
    >
    > So if Telecom never do sort it out, we appear to have developed a
    > functional
    > alternative that actually works out cheaper than the $38 / month Telecom
    > line rental (which we currently aren't paying as we don't have a line).

    Well you are getting naked DSL, so you should ask them that you want to keep
    it. They should also provide you with a free cell phone with free unlimited
    local calling, and regular landline toll rates.

    steve, Aug 2, 2006

  3. Vista

    Richard Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Readers of nz.comp and nz.general may recall my previous posts regarding the
    > Telecoms apparent inability to restore normal phone service in our area
    > following the lightning storms over Kapiti / Horowhenua on July 12th.
    >
    > The voice line was briefly repaired in July 21st, for 4-5 hours, then failed
    > again. On the bright side, the ADSL continued to function from the 21st.
    >
    > We were supposed to get a repair guy around on the 3rd of August, but he
    > came early and showed up this afternoon.
    >
    > The phone still doesn't work as the fault is on the main cable just north of
    > Foxton and that means the cable crew will have to locate the fault and
    > repair it.
    >
    > They can't do that UNTIL THE END OF SEPTEMBER.
    >
    > So no land line for two MORE months for the homes north of Foxton in SH1.
    >
    > Meanwhile....as the Internet is working, I've signed up for SkypeOut and we
    > have been using that for outgoing calls. It fairly reliable....and about
    > 10% of the cost of even the cheapest cell rates / minute.
    >
    > ...and because we have 3.5M / 512k we can now make several outgoing phone
    > calls at the same time......something we could not do before.
    >
    > So if Telecom never do sort it out, we appear to have developed a functional
    > alternative that actually works out cheaper than the $38 / month Telecom
    > line rental (which we currently aren't paying as we don't have a line).

    Dont tell telecom that, apparantly its "impossible" to get adsl without buying a
    phoneline off them ;)

    Richard, Aug 2, 2006
  4. Vista

    steve Guest

    Vista wrote:

    > Well you are getting naked DSL, so you should ask them that you want to
    > keep it. They should also provide you with a free cell phone with free
    > unlimited local calling, and regular landline toll rates.

    We get free, unlimited incoming calls via the land line number....and a
    $10 / day credit for outgoing calls from the cellphone.

    That $10 / day doesn't get you much.....but at least by using SkypeOut as
    well means we don't have to use the cellphone for (most) outgoing calls.

    steve, Aug 2, 2006
  5. Vista

    steve Guest

    Richard wrote:

    > Dont tell telecom that, apparantly its "impossible" to get adsl without
    > buying a phoneline off them ;)

    The story from the "Transfeld" (?) repair guy was that the nature of the
    damage allows ADSL to still function on the line while voice calls cannot.
    The line is buried (SH1)......and so they can't just climb a poll and fix
    it.

    They don't know where in the 4kms of cable the break is....and in worst case
    might have to dig all of it up to find it.

    steve, Aug 2, 2006
  6. Vista

    Enkidu Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Dont tell telecom that, apparantly its "impossible" to get adsl
    >> without buying a phoneline off them ;)

    > The story from the "Transfeld" (?) repair guy was that the nature of
    > the damage allows ADSL to still function on the line while voice
    > calls cannot. The line is buried (SH1)......and so they can't just
    > climb a poll and fix it.
    >
    > They don't know where in the 4kms of cable the break is....and in
    > worst case might have to dig all of it up to find it.

    If they told you that it is bollocks. Unless the technology has changed
    dramatically you can identify a break to within a few metres by,
    basically, echo location. You squirt a signal down the line and time the
    bounce from the break. I don't know if that works with fibre, though.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Aug 2, 2006
  7. Vista

    BTMO Guest

    "Enkidu" <> wrote

    >>> Dont tell telecom that, apparantly its "impossible" to get adsl
    >>> without buying a phoneline off them ;)

    >> The story from the "Transfeld" (?) repair guy was that the nature of
    >> the damage allows ADSL to still function on the line while voice
    >> calls cannot. The line is buried (SH1)......and so they can't just
    >> climb a poll and fix it.
    >>
    >> They don't know where in the 4kms of cable the break is....and in
    >> worst case might have to dig all of it up to find it.
    >>

    > If they told you that it is bollocks. Unless the technology has changed
    > dramatically you can identify a break to within a few metres by,
    > basically, echo location. You squirt a signal down the line and time the
    > bounce from the break. I don't know if that works with fibre, though.

    Optical Time Domain Reflectometry?

    I can assure you it DOES work.

    I used to manage the Telecom lab were the OTDRs were calibrated and tested.
    HP manufactured them.

    From memory, they can identify a break to within about 5 metres over a 4km
    run....

    BTMO, Aug 2, 2006
  8. Vista

    Kent Smith Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Readers of nz.comp and nz.general may recall my previous posts regarding
    > the
    > Telecoms apparent inability to restore normal phone service in our area
    > following the lightning storms over Kapiti / Horowhenua on July 12th.
    >
    > The voice line was briefly repaired in July 21st, for 4-5 hours, then
    > failed
    > again. On the bright side, the ADSL continued to function from the 21st.
    >
    > We were supposed to get a repair guy around on the 3rd of August, but he
    > came early and showed up this afternoon.
    >
    > The phone still doesn't work as the fault is on the main cable just north
    > of
    > Foxton and that means the cable crew will have to locate the fault and
    > repair it.
    >
    > They can't do that UNTIL THE END OF SEPTEMBER.
    >
    > So no land line for two MORE months for the homes north of Foxton in SH1.
    >
    > Meanwhile....as the Internet is working, I've signed up for SkypeOut and
    > we
    > have been using that for outgoing calls. It fairly reliable....and about
    > 10% of the cost of even the cheapest cell rates / minute.
    >
    > ...and because we have 3.5M / 512k we can now make several outgoing phone
    > calls at the same time......something we could not do before.
    >
    > So if Telecom never do sort it out, we appear to have developed a
    > functional
    > alternative that actually works out cheaper than the $38 / month Telecom
    > line rental (which we currently aren't paying as we don't have a line).

    Pity you cant get a NZ skype in number yet

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Aug 2, 2006
  9. Vista

    Richard Guest

    Kent Smith wrote:

    > Pity you cant get a NZ skype in number yet

    Lag on skype back to NZ phones was aweful last time I tried it, sweet as
    everywhere else in the world tho, Would the call the other way really be any better?

    Richard, Aug 2, 2006
  10. Vista

    Don Hills Guest

    In article <44d05e8c$>, "BTMO" <> wrote:

    >From memory, they can identify a break to within about 5 metres over a 4km
    >run....

    And they have small, light, easy-to-use devices to do it with. Back in my
    day, we had to do it the hard way with an oscilloscope and a slide rule.
    (Build an adapter out of T-pieces that feeds the calibration pulse output
    from the Tektronix 453 scope to the line and then monitors the line for
    echoes. Adjust timebase to an appropriate range for the length of the
    cable. Measure the time to the reflection of interest, factor in the cable's
    velocity factor, convert to distance.) Again back in those days, we (IBM)
    had simple tools (a cassette recorder and a tape of test tones) for
    making measurements (group delay distortion etc) that even the (then) NZ
    Post Office transmission and lines branches couldn't do.

    preparing you for the wonders of OS/2!"

    Don Hills, Aug 2, 2006
  11. Vista

    BTMO Guest

    "Don Hills" <> wrote

    >>From memory, they can identify a break to within about 5 metres over a 4km
    >>run....

    > And they have small, light, easy-to-use devices to do it with.

    Yeah, that is what I said - OTDRs...

    ;-)

    <snip>

    Point taken re: oscilloscopes....

    Cheers,

    Brenton

    BTMO, Aug 2, 2006
  12. Vista

    Steve Guest

    On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 21:52:14 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:

    > "steve" <> wrote in message
    >> Readers of nz.comp and nz.general may recall my previous posts regarding
    >> the
    >> Telecoms apparent inability to restore normal phone service in our area
    >> following the lightning storms over Kapiti / Horowhenua on July 12th.
    >>
    >> The voice line was briefly repaired in July 21st, for 4-5 hours, then
    >> failed
    >> again. On the bright side, the ADSL continued to function from the 21st.
    >>
    >> We were supposed to get a repair guy around on the 3rd of August, but he
    >> came early and showed up this afternoon.
    >>
    >> The phone still doesn't work as the fault is on the main cable just north
    >> of
    >> Foxton and that means the cable crew will have to locate the fault and
    >> repair it.
    >>
    >> They can't do that UNTIL THE END OF SEPTEMBER.
    >>
    >> So no land line for two MORE months for the homes north of Foxton in SH1.
    >>
    >> Meanwhile....as the Internet is working, I've signed up for SkypeOut and
    >> we
    >> have been using that for outgoing calls. It fairly reliable....and about
    >> 10% of the cost of even the cheapest cell rates / minute.
    >>
    >> ...and because we have 3.5M / 512k we can now make several outgoing phone
    >> calls at the same time......something we could not do before.
    >>
    >> So if Telecom never do sort it out, we appear to have developed a
    >> functional
    >> alternative that actually works out cheaper than the $38 / month Telecom
    >> line rental (which we currently aren't paying as we don't have a line).
    >>

    > Pity you cant get a NZ skype in number yet
    >

    > -KENT

    You could if you wet to a SIP solution - asterisk for example.

    Steve, Aug 2, 2006
  13. Vista

    -=rjh=- Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Richard wrote:
    >
    >> Dont tell telecom that, apparantly its "impossible" to get adsl without
    >> buying a phoneline off them ;)

    > The story from the "Transfeld" (?) repair guy was that the nature of the
    > damage allows ADSL to still function on the line while voice calls cannot.
    > The line is buried (SH1)......and so they can't just climb a poll and fix
    > it.
    >
    > They don't know where in the 4kms of cable the break is....and in worst case
    > might have to dig all of it up to find it.

    Sounds ideal, I'd tell them not to bother :)

    -=rjh=-, Aug 2, 2006
  14. Vista

    Shane Guest

    BTMO wrote:

    > "Don Hills" <> wrote
    >
    >>>From memory, they can identify a break to within about 5 metres over a
    >>>4km run....

    >> And they have small, light, easy-to-use devices to do it with.

    > Yeah, that is what I said - OTDRs...
    >
    > ;-)
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > Point taken re: oscilloscopes....
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Brenton

    These guys did a presentation at wlug so they deserve a mention
    http://www.lan1.co.nz/index.aspx?sid=&p=products
    Have a look at the Fluke analysers, and network analysers, the one they
    demoed at the meeting was >$20k

    --
    Rule 6: There is no rule 6

    Blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org worth

    Shane, Aug 2, 2006
  15. Vista

    EMB Guest

    steve wrote:

    > So if Telecom never do sort it out, we appear to have developed a functional
    > alternative that actually works out cheaper than the $38 / month Telecom
    > line rental (which we currently aren't paying as we don't have a line).

    Slingshot's iphone might be worth a look too.

    --
    EMB

    EMB, Aug 3, 2006
  16. Vista

    Kent Smith Guest

    "Steve" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 21:52:14 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:
    >

    >> "steve" <> wrote in message
    >>> Readers of nz.comp and nz.general may recall my previous posts regarding
    >>> the
    >>> Telecoms apparent inability to restore normal phone service in our area
    >>> following the lightning storms over Kapiti / Horowhenua on July 12th.
    >>>
    >>> The voice line was briefly repaired in July 21st, for 4-5 hours, then
    >>> failed
    >>> again. On the bright side, the ADSL continued to function from the 21st.
    >>>
    >>> We were supposed to get a repair guy around on the 3rd of August, but he
    >>> came early and showed up this afternoon.
    >>>
    >>> The phone still doesn't work as the fault is on the main cable just
    >>> north
    >>> of
    >>> Foxton and that means the cable crew will have to locate the fault and
    >>> repair it.
    >>>
    >>> They can't do that UNTIL THE END OF SEPTEMBER.
    >>>
    >>> So no land line for two MORE months for the homes north of Foxton in
    >>> SH1.
    >>>
    >>> Meanwhile....as the Internet is working, I've signed up for SkypeOut and
    >>> we
    >>> have been using that for outgoing calls. It fairly reliable....and about
    >>> 10% of the cost of even the cheapest cell rates / minute.
    >>>
    >>> ...and because we have 3.5M / 512k we can now make several outgoing
    >>> phone
    >>> calls at the same time......something we could not do before.
    >>>
    >>> So if Telecom never do sort it out, we appear to have developed a
    >>> functional
    >>> alternative that actually works out cheaper than the $38 / month Telecom
    >>> line rental (which we currently aren't paying as we don't have a line).
    >>>

    >> Pity you cant get a NZ skype in number yet
    >>

    > You could if you wet to a SIP solution - asterisk for example.

    Cool, just Googled it. Didn't know you could. ~US$13 per month. :)

    I like Skype though and have a lot friends using it and I own a dualphone:
    http://www.flashcards.co.nz/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=125&products_id=645

    Found this article using the AU-600 as a Skype/Asterisk gateway:
    http://slacker.com/~nugget/projects/asterisk/page12

    AU-600=NZ$90
    http://www.voipshop.co.nz/shop/product_info.php?cPath=3&products_id=46

    Might be worth a play. :)

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Aug 3, 2006
  17. Vista

    s-t-e-v-e Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > steve wrote:
    >
    >> Richard wrote:
    >>
    >>> Dont tell telecom that, apparantly its "impossible" to get adsl
    >>> without buying a phoneline off them ;)

    >> The story from the "Transfeld" (?) repair guy was that the nature of
    >> the damage allows ADSL to still function on the line while voice
    >> calls cannot. The line is buried (SH1)......and so they can't just
    >> climb a poll and fix it.
    >>
    >> They don't know where in the 4kms of cable the break is....and in
    >> worst case might have to dig all of it up to find it.
    >>

    > If they told you that it is bollocks. Unless the technology has changed
    > dramatically you can identify a break to within a few metres by,
    > basically, echo location. You squirt a signal down the line and time the
    > bounce from the break. I don't know if that works with fibre, though.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    The line isn't completely broken. ADSL still works....voice calls don't.

    The guy also said they were giving higher priority to a large number
    ("thousands" he said - seems not credible) of phoneless customers at
    "the end of Queen St in Levin".....I don't know which end.

    s-t-e-v-e, Aug 3, 2006
  18. Vista

    s-t-e-v-e Guest

    Don Hills wrote:
    > In article <44d05e8c$>, "BTMO" <> wrote:
    >
    >>From memory, they can identify a break to within about 5 metres over a 4km

    >>run....

    > And they have small, light, easy-to-use devices to do it with. Back in my
    > day, we had to do it the hard way with an oscilloscope and a slide rule.
    > (Build an adapter out of T-pieces that feeds the calibration pulse output
    > from the Tektronix 453 scope to the line and then monitors the line for
    > echoes. Adjust timebase to an appropriate range for the length of the
    > cable. Measure the time to the reflection of interest, factor in the cable's
    > velocity factor, convert to distance.) Again back in those days, we (IBM)
    > had simple tools (a cassette recorder and a tape of test tones) for
    > making measurements (group delay distortion etc) that even the (then) NZ
    > Post Office transmission and lines branches couldn't do.

    Elwyn G loves to tell those stories. :)

    s-t-e-v-e, Aug 3, 2006
  19. Vista

    s-t-e-v-e Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Kent Smith wrote:
    >
    >> Pity you cant get a NZ skype in number yet

    > Lag on skype back to NZ phones was aweful last time I tried it, sweet as
    > everywhere else in the world tho, Would the call the other way really be
    > any better?

    It works well (for me, now).

    I've made several local (my town) calls with no problems.

    s-t-e-v-e, Aug 3, 2006
  20. Vista

    s-t-e-v-e Guest

    Steve wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 Aug 2006 21:52:14 +1200, Kent Smith wrote:
    >

    >>"steve" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Readers of nz.comp and nz.general may recall my previous posts regarding
    >>>the
    >>>Telecoms apparent inability to restore normal phone service in our area
    >>>following the lightning storms over Kapiti / Horowhenua on July 12th.
    >>>
    >>>The voice line was briefly repaired in July 21st, for 4-5 hours, then
    >>>failed
    >>>again. On the bright side, the ADSL continued to function from the 21st.
    >>>
    >>>We were supposed to get a repair guy around on the 3rd of August, but he
    >>>came early and showed up this afternoon.
    >>>
    >>>The phone still doesn't work as the fault is on the main cable just north
    >>>of
    >>>Foxton and that means the cable crew will have to locate the fault and
    >>>repair it.
    >>>
    >>>They can't do that UNTIL THE END OF SEPTEMBER.
    >>>
    >>>So no land line for two MORE months for the homes north of Foxton in SH1.
    >>>
    >>>Meanwhile....as the Internet is working, I've signed up for SkypeOut and
    >>>we
    >>>have been using that for outgoing calls. It fairly reliable....and about
    >>>10% of the cost of even the cheapest cell rates / minute.
    >>>
    >>>...and because we have 3.5M / 512k we can now make several outgoing phone
    >>>calls at the same time......something we could not do before.
    >>>
    >>>So if Telecom never do sort it out, we appear to have developed a
    >>>functional
    >>>alternative that actually works out cheaper than the $38 / month Telecom
    >>>line rental (which we currently aren't paying as we don't have a line).
    >>>

    >>Pity you cant get a NZ skype in number yet
    >>

    >>-KENT

    > You could if you wet to a SIP solution - asterisk for example.

    I'm looking at that.

    James Jones in Levin is a *serious* Asterix geek.....

    s-t-e-v-e, Aug 3, 2006