    I do have some CD's that came with my Dell computer.
    Thanks.
    ron

    Ronald Murray, Aug 5, 2006

  2. Ronald Murray

    Ernie Werbel Guest

    Ronald Murray wrote in message ...
    >Hello
    >I purchased a used desktop computer. It did not come with an operating
    >system. I have WinXP on my old desktop. How can I get the operating system
    >from my old computer to the newer(used) one?
    >I do have some CD's that came with my Dell computer.
    >Thanks.
    >ron

    Well unless you have an official Microsoft Windows XP CDROM with product
    key, or if you have a hard disk drive duplicator, you can't just take it off
    the one drive and copy it onto the new one. You will have to install an OS
    from a new Windows XP CDROM. Or, you can install DOS and then Windows
    later. Does the laptop boot to anything at all? C:\> perhaps?

    Ernie Werbel, Aug 5, 2006

  3. Ronald Murray

    Simpledog Guest

    The XP key for Dell machines is usually on a sticker stuck on the machine
    somewhere, usually on the back.

    Simpledog, Aug 5, 2006
  4. Ronald Murray

    Forefront Guest

    i'm sure you can find a torrent for XP out there, just to 'evaluate'
    it. you could also put linux on it, if you don't want to 'evaluate'
    that version of windows. but the thing with the Dell install disk is
    that it lacks drivers for devices from non-dell computers (from my
    experience with those versions of xp).

    Forefront, Aug 5, 2006
  5. Ronald Murray

    Uplink Guest

    Dell computers include a OEM re-installation working XP disc. Basicly
    it just doesn't ask you for a key, as it's built into the disc

    Uplink, Aug 14, 2006