No Open or Save to disk dialog in IE

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Senti, Feb 2, 2004.

  1. Senti

    Senti Guest

    Friends computer so I'm not sure of the specifics at the moment. This is
    what I know so far:

    "MSIE version 6.x (latest version). Someone changed the setting on my PC
    that causes it to ask whether I want to OPEN or SAVE TO DISK when I want to
    download a file from a website. I can't undo the change which means I have
    to right-click and select "Save Target As ... " & I know this may seem like
    a small thing but it is an extra step & further it is an extra unnecessary
    step. Can anyone help me? "

    "I've already tried the following. Microsoft Website & all its various
    sub-sites, Dell Tech Support who can't even figure out what I'm asking, Kim
    Komando, MSIE Tool-Internet Advanced Options sub-menu (doesn't have a check
    box for this particular item), and various Google et. al. searches ... "

    "It asked if I wished to OPEN the file or SAVE TO DISK. I rarely open files,
    which is what it does automatically now unless I do the right click thing.
    When I picked SAVE it would then ask me where to save to with the previous
    location already selected."

    Does anyone have any suggestions?
    --
    ~SF~
    You can't be a Real Country unless you have a Beer and an airline -- it
    Senti, Feb 2, 2004

  2. Senti

    °Mike° Guest

    In *Windows* Explorer, go to Tools / Folder Options /
    File Types. Drill down to the file type/s that are being
    downloaded. Press 'Advanced' (or just double click
    the file type for 9x), and check 'Confirm open after
    download'. Clean the cache and reboot.

    On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 20:43:52 -0600, in
    <bvkdha$tbppj$-berlin.de>
    Senti scrawled:

    >Friends computer so I'm not sure of the specifics at the moment. This is
    >what I know so far:
    >
    >"MSIE version 6.x (latest version). Someone changed the setting on my PC
    >that causes it to ask whether I want to OPEN or SAVE TO DISK when I want to
    >download a file from a website. I can't undo the change which means I have
    >to right-click and select "Save Target As ... " & I know this may seem like
    >a small thing but it is an extra step & further it is an extra unnecessary
    >step. Can anyone help me? "
    >
    >"I've already tried the following. Microsoft Website & all its various
    >sub-sites, Dell Tech Support who can't even figure out what I'm asking, Kim
    >Komando, MSIE Tool-Internet Advanced Options sub-menu (doesn't have a check
    >box for this particular item), and various Google et. al. searches ... "
    >
    >"It asked if I wished to OPEN the file or SAVE TO DISK. I rarely open files,
    >which is what it does automatically now unless I do the right click thing.
    >When I picked SAVE it would then ask me where to save to with the previous
    >location already selected."
    >
    >Does anyone have any suggestions?

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 2, 2004

  3. Senti

    Senti Guest

    °Mike° did mumble ...

    > In *Windows* Explorer, go to Tools / Folder Options /
    > File Types. Drill down to the file type/s that are being
    > downloaded. Press 'Advanced' (or just double click
    > the file type for 9x), and check 'Confirm open after
    > download'. Clean the cache and reboot.
    >

    > On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 20:43:52 -0600, in
    > <bvkdha$tbppj$-berlin.de>
    > Senti scrawled:
    >
    >> Friends computer so I'm not sure of the specifics at the moment.
    >> This is what I know so far:
    >>
    >> "MSIE version 6.x (latest version). Someone changed the setting on
    >> my PC that causes it to ask whether I want to OPEN or SAVE TO DISK
    >> when I want to download a file from a website. I can't undo the
    >> change which means I have to right-click and select "Save Target As
    >> ... " & I know this may seem like a small thing but it is an extra
    >> step & further it is an extra unnecessary step. Can anyone help me? "
    >>
    >> "I've already tried the following. Microsoft Website & all its
    >> various sub-sites, Dell Tech Support who can't even figure out what
    >> I'm asking, Kim Komando, MSIE Tool-Internet Advanced Options
    >> sub-menu (doesn't have a check box for this particular item), and
    >> various Google et. al. searches ... "
    >>
    >> "It asked if I wished to OPEN the file or SAVE TO DISK. I rarely
    >> open files, which is what it does automatically now unless I do the
    >> right click thing. When I picked SAVE it would then ask me where to
    >> save to with the previous location already selected."
    >>
    >> Does anyone have any suggestions?

    Thanks °Mike°. I'll pass that along and let you know how it all works out.
    :)
    --
    ~SF~
    Courage is not the absence of fear, but the conquest of it. -Author
    Senti, Feb 2, 2004
  4. Senti

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 20:53:13 -0600, in
    <bvke2r$rfn9o$-berlin.de>
    Senti scrawled:

    >°Mike° did mumble ...
    >
    >> In *Windows* Explorer, go to Tools / Folder Options /
    >> File Types. Drill down to the file type/s that are being
    >> downloaded. Press 'Advanced' (or just double click
    >> the file type for 9x), and check 'Confirm open after
    >> download'. Clean the cache and reboot.

    <snip>

    >Thanks °Mike°. I'll pass that along and let you know how it all works out.
    >:)

    You're welcome.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Feb 2, 2004
  5. Senti

    Senti Guest

    °Mike° did mumble ...

    He said it worked like a charm :)
    --
    ~SF~
    They have computers, and they may have other weapons of mass
    Senti, Feb 2, 2004
  6. Senti

    °Mike° Guest

    On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 21:43:46 -0600, in
    <bvkh1l$t130c$-berlin.de>
    Senti scrawled:

    >°Mike° did mumble ...
    >
    >> On Sun, 1 Feb 2004 20:53:13 -0600, in
    >> <bvke2r$rfn9o$-berlin.de>
    >> Senti scrawled:
    >>
    >>> °Mike° did mumble ...

    >> <snip>
    >>
    >>> Thanks °Mike°. I'll pass that along and let you know how it all
    >>> works out. :)

    >> You're welcome.

    >He said it worked like a charm :)

    Excellent. :)