No one speaks english anymore??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Michael, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >>> I see prejudice in your posting.
    >>
    >> Where in his post is there any sign of him being "prejudice??"

    >
    >We really can't expect you to see it.
    >Because you're also prejudiced. BIG TIME.
    >(Note the "d" at the end. You made the same mistake
    >over and over. Think about it, before you go on bashing
    >immigrants...)


    Just like I predicted, now I'm "bashing immigrants."
     
    zbzbzb, Dec 24, 2003
    1. Advertising

  2. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> Yes, it IS. Many second and third generation immigrants these days
    >> DON'T, and WON'T speak English. When I was in school, one girl in my
    >> class said her grandmother wouldn't allow English to be spoken in the
    >> house

    >
    >But she obviously spoke English...
    >Contradiction?


    That wasn't his point.
     
    zbzbzb, Dec 24, 2003
    1. Advertising

  3. Michael

    Sloopy Guest

    In article <>,
    bzbzb (zbzbzb) wrote:

    > Sorry to disappoint you but the whole country was not inhabited by Indians.
    > The
    > majority of it was actually uninhabited with many Indian communities
    > scattered
    > about.


    Right.

    They never got their act together enough to have an actual civilization.

    Imagine having control of an entire continent and have it taken away
    from you...and the people who took it away from you did so much more
    with the continent than you ever dreamed possible.

    Evolving in a relatively isolated area doesn't help advance your society
    much.

    -Sloopy
     
    Sloopy, Dec 24, 2003
  4. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Paolo Pizzi wrote:
    > zbzbzb wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>I presume by your logic that you should fit in with the people of
    >>>the land that you are moving to that you speak Arapaho or Apache?

    >>
    >>If he moved onto an Apache reservation then sure, why not?

    >
    >
    > Before the Brits came to this country, it was an ENTIRE
    > Indian reservation... I don't recall any of the Pilgrims even
    > trying to speak the local language, let alone adapt to the
    > local customs...
    >
    > Suddenly, a second standard applies.
    >
    >

    Actually many did both. However, the pressure of numbers soon had the
    expected result.
     
    Ron Hunter, Dec 24, 2003
  5. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    zbzbzb wrote:

    > >The laws are inconsistent because the PEOPLE who elect

    >
    >>lawmakers are inconsistent too. There wouldn't be illegals
    >>here if a lot of people weren't big HYPOCRITES who
    >>pretend to be strongly against illegal immigration but love
    >>to hire illegals to mow lawns, wash dishes or pick fruit for
    >>way less than minimum wage.

    >
    >
    >
    > Do you hire them?
    >
    > The problem with illegals in California and elsewhere is that there is no
    > stomach to enforce laws already in place to handle the problem or the stomach
    > to create laws to handle the situation better. Most of that originates from the
    > left side of the political spectrum. The one you are a part of.
    >
    >
    >
    >>>3. Admire your comment about learning the language if you
    >>>moved somewhere else. Most Americans do not have that
    >>>attitude.

    >>
    >>Exactly.
    >>

    >
    >
    >
    > There you go again.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

    IF we were REALLY serious about preventing illegal entry into this
    country, then we would establish a database of illegals and each time we
    found someone here who was already in that database, they would be shot.
    So if someone came here illegally, the first time they were found,
    they would be put into the database and removed from the country, after
    that, curtains. Strangly, most people consider this plan objectional.
     
    Ron Hunter, Dec 24, 2003
  6. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Paolo Pizzi wrote:

    > Ron Hunter wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Yes, it IS. Many second and third generation immigrants these days
    >>DON'T, and WON'T speak English. When I was in school, one girl in my
    >>class said her grandmother wouldn't allow English to be spoken in the
    >>house

    >
    >
    > But she obviously spoke English...
    > Contradiction?
    >
    >

    She spoke English poorly, and ONLY at school. She was constantly
    'losing' her textbooks. I found later than her grandmother was burning
    them if she found them in the house. Today, the woman would be charged
    with child abuse, but then (1950's), what she was doing was quite legal,
    since she (the grandmother) was a citizen, and the grandaughter was a
    minor, with very little in the way of rights.
     
    Ron Hunter, Dec 24, 2003
  7. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Re: OT: No one speaks english anymore??

    Paolo Pizzi wrote:

    > Noel wrote:
    >
    >
    >>>2. Doesn't the same thing happen in a lot of big cities around
    >>>the world?

    >>
    >>Perhaps, but don't you think it a bit arrogant to expect that you can
    >>emigrate to another country, and get away with never speaking the
    >>majority language of that country? When I moved to Moscow, I did
    >>not entertain such a notion, and set about learning Russian.

    >
    >
    > In an ideal world, you'd be right. In the real world, people
    > who can't even speak their native language well often have
    > insurmountable problems picking up a new one, especially
    > if they're not exactly young. I'm afraid that is the typical
    > immigrant nowadays.
    >
    > Also consider that most Americans abroad DO NOT learn
    > the language and expect the locals to speak English.
    >
    >

    Sometimes it is a matter of attitude. The lady next door to me speaks
    about as much English as I do German (college in the 1960's), and she
    has been living here for at least 3 years. Her problem is that she
    doesn't really intend to STAY here. In spite of a husband from the US,
    and a son who isn't ABOUT to move to Mexico, she still clings to the
    idea that their stay here is temporary. Spanish is a refuge to her, and
    she will not learn English until she give up that 'security blanket'.
     
    Ron Hunter, Dec 24, 2003
  8. zbzbzb schreef in bericht
    <>:


    > Your words in English were clear and well understood. Apparently English isn't
    > your first language so maybe you still need to learn how to use it without
    > being insulting.


    Flikker toch op man. Misschien moet je jezelf eens afvragen wat de
    reden is dat anderen wel de beleefdheid opbrengen om -met Engels- een
    ander taal dan hun eigen taal te leren spreken. Net als de Fransen
    nemen maar weinig Engels sprekenden de moeite om kennis te nemen van
    een taal anders dan het Engels. Arrogante zak.

    > Yes and he was speaking about his experience with a certain group of people in
    > the part of America where he lives. Your point?


    My point is that he seems to have an awful lot to say on how others
    should speak in a shop without putting too much effort in how he
    himself writes his words down in a newsgroup.

    > That's a bit paranoid don't you think?


    If that is paranoid, your feeling about me being insulting is also.

    > As far as I can see he was more critical
    > of the hostile attitude he was receiving, not the fact there their English was
    > lacking.


    He could have just left the shop. Instead he finds it necessary to
    write his words down in this group. And he does so using the following
    reason:

    "since a lot of people abroad from America probably read this group"

    Don't you think the OP has a bit of a twisted mind? Don't you think he
    may have missed something at school that enabled him to read the name
    of this group, just as he missed his lessons on using paragraphs?

    > Well your response was clearly insulting to him and his fellow citizens. If an
    > Italian posted to this group and I didn't understand him I certainly wouldn't
    > ask him in his own language whether they teach Itailian properly in Italy.
    > Think about it.


    Are you deaf or blind? I have already said a few times that I was
    talking about/ referring to using paragraphs. FYI this is done in any
    language.

    And people who have had their education in the US DO know they teach
    people to use paragraphs. The only conclusien can therefore be that
    the OP was asleep during these lessons. There is nothing insulting
    about that for others. That is, if they are sure about the quality of
    their education in the US.

    > So there it is. You'd rather insult than be questioned on your usage of English
    > but it's ok to question others on their use of English? A language that
    > obviously isn't even your native one. Sounds pretty arrogant to me.


    The use of paragraphs my friend does not stop at the borders of the
    US. You may think it does, but let me tell you I know it doesn't.

    > No, it means that I understand English words.


    As I said. A pile of words, written down without thinking about others
    having to read them.

    > So there it is again. Your true colors are showing. Thank you.


    You're welcome.


    > The value of the content of any text is its meaning, period.


    True, but the form in which it is written often is a good indication
    of that value.

    > Since you have shown how badly your English can be you
    > should be a little more understanding in that regard, coinsidering this
    > informal forum.


    I'm happy to say that many native English speaking people have told me
    my English is very reasonable compared to that of others. Probably a
    lot better than the people the OP was talking about.

    I am quite sure though that your Dutch and probably even your French
    is probably of a level that would make a toddler look imbarrassed.

    > They may have been a pile of words to you but they were obviously understood by
    > all except you.


    Who are you to speak on behalf of "all".
    Besides, I didn't say I didn't understand what he said. I merely
    pointed out the fact that his text would be much better readable when
    he would have used paragraphs. Not only for me, but also for native
    English speaking people.


    > Remember that they were also directed to other Americans even
    > though you may find that insulting.


    Also, but not primarily. Again, he wrote: "since a lot of people
    abroad from America probably read this group".

    > He was polite and it was readable.


    Who are you to decide what is readable for others?

    > If you didn't understand him you could have
    > asked him to explain something to you that you didn't understand. That would
    > have been a polite response from you.


    I have a feeling the OP does not understand what being polite means.
    If he would, he wouldn't have posted his message in this group.

    > Whether the English words you were using do not translate to something
    > insulting in your native tongue it doesn't change the fact that they were.


    Since you have been the only one saying it was, I have a feeling it is
    not. That is the reason why I said that if the shoe fits (you), you
    might just as well wear it if you like.

    There is a large difference between (me) being insulting and (you)
    feeling insulted. Many others haven't reacted on this point and
    apparently didn't feel insulted.

    > Of course you do,


    Again you seem to know better than me what or how I think or feel.
    Please stop that. You are making yourself rediculous (if you weren't
    already).

    > >> Read what you wrote. Isn't it ironic that you are attacking the guy
    > >> for not being able to write English well

    > >
    > >I didn't attack him for not being able to write his English well. I
    > >attacked him for not using paragraphs,

    >
    >
    > Using paragraphs *is* part of writing well.


    Correct. And this is not limited to English, which means it has
    noithing to do with writing English. It is about writing (an putting
    ome structue into) any written language.

    > Why "attack" him when simply asking him to explain something to you that you
    > didn't understand would be the polite thing to do? Losing the US part would
    > also take away the insult to other Americans.


    Who are you to decide on what is insulting to all/other Americans?

    > And don't think this is a US
    > thing for me because I would be responding in exactly the same way if you made
    > the remark about the UK or Australia in reply to a Brit or an Aussie.


    If the OP would have been British, I would have asked if they learn
    how to use paragraphs in British schools. Eeverybody knows they do.

    Others than you seem to understand the fact that by asking this I
    don't question the quality of US education, but I wonder if the OP was
    asleep when he got his education.

    > The point of his post was to point out how a certain group of people where he
    > lives are apparently being hostile to him because he could not understand them.
    > I think you completely misunderstood his whole point and somehow took it
    > personally. Again, it isn't his responsibility for you to understand his native
    > language.


    If he thinks (and you agree) that it isn't his responsibility for me
    to be able to read and understand his badly written text in a
    newsgroup, then who is he to judge on others for not feeling any
    responsibility for him to understand the way they (mis-)use their
    spoken language.

    Frank
     
    Frank van der Pol, Dec 24, 2003
  9. Michael

    Noel Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 22:28:04 -0800, Sloopy <> wrote:

    >They never got their act together enough to have an actual civilization.


    What they had was far more a civilisation than anything your ilk could
    ever aspire to.
     
    Noel, Dec 24, 2003
  10. Frank van der Pol schreef in bericht
    <>:

    > that would make a toddler look imbarrassed.


    This should of cours be:

    that would make a toddler feel embarassed.

    I'm sorry for the fact that you probably didn't understand what I
    meant to say.

    Frank
     
    Frank van der Pol, Dec 24, 2003
  11. Frank van der Pol schreef in bericht
    <>:


    > This should of cours be:


    should be

    "This should of course be:"

    Practice makes perfect doesn't it?

    Now it's your turn. Try to correct your own mistakes in your written
    Dutch.

    Frank
     
    Frank van der Pol, Dec 24, 2003
  12. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> Your words in English were clear and well understood. Apparently English
    >isn't
    >> your first language so maybe you still need to learn how to use it without
    >> being insulting.

    >
    >Flikker toch op man. Misschien moet je jezelf eens afvragen wat de
    >reden is dat anderen wel de beleefdheid opbrengen om -met Engels- een
    >ander taal dan hun eigen taal te leren spreken. Net als de Fransen
    >nemen maar weinig Engels sprekenden de moeite om kennis te nemen van
    >een taal anders dan het Engels. Arrogante zak.
    >


    Venting?


    >> Yes and he was speaking about his experience with a certain group of people

    >in
    >> the part of America where he lives. Your point?

    >
    >My point is that he seems to have an awful lot to say on how others
    >should speak in a shop without putting too much effort in how he
    >himself writes his words down in a newsgroup.
    >


    Again, you misunderstood the whole point of his message.


    >> That's a bit paranoid don't you think?

    >
    >If that is paranoid, your feeling about me being insulting is also.



    It is paranoid. You are getting defensive over someones remarks when they
    obviously had no intention on offending anyone.


    >> As far as I can see he was more critical
    >> of the hostile attitude he was receiving, not the fact there their English

    >was
    >> lacking.

    >
    >He could have just left the shop. Instead he finds it necessary to
    >write his words down in this group. And he does so using the following
    >reason:
    >
    >"since a lot of people abroad from America probably read this group"
    >
    >Don't you think the OP has a bit of a twisted mind?
    >Don't you think he
    >may have missed something at school that enabled him to read the name
    >of this group, just as he missed his lessons on using paragraphs?



    "Twisted mind" because he posted something off topic? That's quite a bit of a
    stretch.


    >> Well your response was clearly insulting to him and his fellow citizens. If

    >an
    >> Italian posted to this group and I didn't understand him I certainly

    >wouldn't
    >> ask him in his own language whether they teach Itailian properly in Italy.
    >> Think about it.

    >
    >Are you deaf or blind? I have already said a few times that I was
    >talking about/ referring to using paragraphs. FYI this is done in any
    >language.



    So then it makes sense to come out and ask whether in the US they teach proper
    English? Please.
    If you are going to speak in someone elses language you should at least learn
    how to do it without being insulting. Anyway, I still think that was your
    intention in the first place.


    >And people who have had their education in the US DO know they teach
    >people to use paragraphs. The only conclusien can therefore be that
    >the OP was asleep during these lessons. There is nothing insulting
    >about that for others. That is, if they are sure about the quality of
    >their education in the US.



    What does the quality of American education have to do with your great
    irritation over him not writing the way you want him too? Is that what you
    normally do when you can't understand someones writing , you question the
    eduaction system of his or her country?


    >> So there it is. You'd rather insult than be questioned on your usage of

    >English
    >> but it's ok to question others on their use of English? A language that
    >> obviously isn't even your native one. Sounds pretty arrogant to me.

    >
    >The use of paragraphs my friend does not stop at the borders of the
    >US. You may think it does, but let me tell you I know it doesn't.



    So is this some kind of revelation? Are you now going to educate me on how we
    write or should write in America? Oh wait, you already are.


    >> No, it means that I understand English words.

    >
    >As I said. A pile of words, written down without thinking about others
    >having to read them.



    His intended audience obviously had no problem understanding.


    >> So there it is again. Your true colors are showing. Thank you.

    >
    >You're welcome.



    No problem. Anytime.


    >> The value of the content of any text is its meaning, period.

    >
    >True, but the form in which it is written often is a good indication
    >of that value.



    The value of the content of any text is its meaning, period. When you agree
    with something it doesn't require a but.


    >> Since you have shown how badly your English can be you
    >> should be a little more understanding in that regard, coinsidering this
    >> informal forum.

    >
    >I'm happy to say that many native English speaking people have told me
    >my English is very reasonable compared to that of others. Probably a
    >lot better than the people the OP was talking about.



    I would agree.


    >I am quite sure though that your Dutch and probably even your French
    >is probably of a level that would make a toddler look imbarrassed.



    And I am supposed to be concerned with that in what way?


    >> They may have been a pile of words to you but they were obviously

    >understood by
    >> all except you.

    >
    >Who are you to speak on behalf of "all".



    I don't speak for all but am merely pointing out that fact considering the
    responses he had received.


    >Besides, I didn't say I didn't understand what he said. I merely
    >pointed out the fact that his text would be much better readable when
    >he would have used paragraphs. Not only for me, but also for native
    >English speaking people.



    What you asked him was insulting. Would you like me to quote what you said?


    >> Remember that they were also directed to other Americans even
    >> though you may find that insulting.

    >
    >Also, but not primarily. Again, he wrote: "since a lot of people
    >abroad from America probably read this group".



    Sounds like he was talking to Americans to me.


    >> He was polite and it was readable.

    >
    >Who are you to decide what is readable for others?



    I'm not the one attacking someone for their writing skills because I can't
    understand him or her. You need to direct that question to yourself.


    >> If you didn't understand him you could have
    >> asked him to explain something to you that you didn't understand. That

    >would
    >> have been a polite response from you.

    >
    >I have a feeling the OP does not understand what being polite means.



    No, I think you need to learn what being polite means, especially if you choose
    to speak in other people's native tongue.


    >If he would, he wouldn't have posted his message in this group.



    And yet you were still interested enough to respond, correct?


    >> Whether the English words you were using do not translate to something
    >> insulting in your native tongue it doesn't change the fact that they were.

    >
    >Since you have been the only one saying it was, I have a feeling it is
    >not.



    What kind of reasoning is that?


    >There is a large difference between (me) being insulting and (you)
    >feeling insulted. Many others haven't reacted on this point and
    >apparently didn't feel insulted.
    >



    Take it from someone that speaks English as his native tongue, you were being
    insulting. It wasn't in a gray area either. Also, because others may not have
    responded does not make you right.


    >> Of course you do,

    >
    >Again you seem to know better than me what or how I think or feel.
    >Please stop that. You are making yourself rediculous (if you weren't
    >already).



    Well you said you really didn't care. If you truely didn't you wouldn't be
    mentioning you didn't care in the first place.


    >> Using paragraphs *is* part of writing well.

    >
    >Correct. And this is not limited to English, which means it has
    >noithing to do with writing English.
    >It is about writing (an putting
    >ome structue into) any written language.
    >



    Well apparently he didn't do it to your satisfaction. Maybe you should get over
    it because I doubt very much he is going to rewrite it especially for you.


    >> Why "attack" him when simply asking him to explain something to you that

    >you
    >> didn't understand would be the polite thing to do? Losing the US part would
    >> also take away the insult to other Americans.

    >
    >Who are you to decide on what is insulting to all/other Americans?



    I think I know enough about my own culture to say what would generally and
    obviously be offensive to fellow Americans. If you don't like that, well then
    that is your problem. Personally I would take that as helpful advice
    considering you are speaking my native language. Up to you.


    >> And don't think this is a US
    >> thing for me because I would be responding in exactly the same way if you

    >made
    >> the remark about the UK or Australia in reply to a Brit or an Aussie.

    >
    >If the OP would have been British, I would have asked if they learn
    >how to use paragraphs in British schools. Eeverybody knows they do.



    So if you know something so obviously elementary then why would you ask if not
    to insult or be sarcastic??


    >Others than you seem to understand the fact that by asking this I
    >don't question the quality of US education,



    Since no one besides myself has responded on the issue then you can't make that
    determination now, can you?

    >but I wonder if the OP was
    >asleep when he got his education.



    "Asleep when he got his education?" Ok, then what does that have to do with "US
    education?"


    >If he thinks (and you agree) that it isn't his responsibility for me
    >to be able to read and understand his badly written text in a
    >newsgroup, then who is he to judge on others for not feeling any
    >responsibility for him to understand the way they (mis-)use their
    >spoken language.
    >
    >Frank



    It was "badly written" for you because *you* had trouble understanding it.
     
    zbzbzb, Dec 24, 2003
  13. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> that would make a toddler look imbarrassed.
    >
    >This should of cours be:
    >
    >that would make a toddler feel embarassed.
    >
    >I'm sorry for the fact that you probably didn't understand what I
    >meant to say.
    >
    >Frank
    >


    Nope I understood it just fine. Did you notice that I didn't call into question
    the Danish education system, assuming that is where you are from?
     
    zbzbzb, Dec 24, 2003
  14. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> This should of cours be:
    >
    >should be
    >
    >"This should of course be:"
    >
    >Practice makes perfect doesn't it?
    >
    >Now it's your turn. Try to correct your own mistakes in your written
    >Dutch.
    >



    I would, if I cared about knowing how to speak and write Dutch, but I don't.


    >Frank
    >
     
    zbzbzb, Dec 24, 2003
  15. Michael

    Steve Young Guest

    > "Lionel" <> wrote
    > You think the original post is even slightly on-topic in a photgraphy
    > newsgroup?


    well, he coulda been lookin for a digital camera when he encountered this curt
    treatment :)))

    (though, I'm not so sure it'd be Spanish he'd be complaining about ;)
     
    Steve Young, Dec 24, 2003
  16. Michael

    Azzz1588 Guest

    In article <eK9Gb.2065$>, "Paolo Pizzi"
    <> writes:

    > I don't recall any of the Pilgrims even
    >trying to speak the local language, let alone adapt to the
    >local customs...




    Thats because ethe English were too busy pushing the indians out
    of the way at the time.

    Interesting in that of all the countries that came to the "new world"
    The English set over people to populate the region, wheras the
    french and spanish sent over people to extract the wealth from the
    America's. It was only a matter of time before the English won
    control over the land via population density, and numbers.....
    Hence winning control over the natural resources.



















    "Only a Gentleman can insult me, and a true Gentleman never will..."
     
    Azzz1588, Dec 24, 2003
  17. "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Journalist-North wrote:
    >


    > > >
    > > > :O) You'll have to excuse him, he's from Barcelona.
    > > >
    > > > Paul.
    > > >

    > > --------
    > >
    > > ¿Qué? Pienso que usted necesita escribir con cartas grandes y escribir a
    > > máquina más lento.
    > >
    > > LOL
    > >
    > > Journalist = One who reads, writes and speaks 5 languages...all

    badly...and
    > > all with a New York accent...but at least I try.

    >
    > La línea es de las torres de un Fawlty... y no hablo español. :O)
    >
    > Paul.
    >

    ---------

    I know, Paul, I am just down the road from you in the N of England...just
    down the road globally speaking, that is. I do some Italian; French: Dutch
    and Spanish. I do English too, both British and American idiom. Guess I am
    what you might call a cultural chameleon as I tend to blend in to what ever
    place I find myself working by learning some of the language - but even back
    home in English speaking countries I am neither surprised nor put off by the
    fact that not everyone speaks my preferred language.

    Lesson 1
    En: You'll have to excuse him, he's from Barcelona
    Es: Usted lo tendrá que dispensar, él es de Barcelona

    Lesson 2
    En: The line is from the British television programme Faulty Towers
    Es: La línea es del programa televisivo inglés Torres Defectuosas
    ("defective towers" in literal translation - Spanish has no exact substitute
    for the En word "faulty" = Es literal "defectivo" = En exact "defective")

    Then again, I learned spoken Spanish in the Ecuadorian and Colombian manner
    of speaking with a smattering of Cuban, Mexican. Peruvian, Argentinean and
    Puerto Rican local usage and slang thrown in. They don't use, for example,
    the "th" sound as you might hear it in Spain. But I manage.

    Rather than complain I prefer to understand.

    Journalist
     
    Journalist-North, Dec 24, 2003
  18. "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Journalist-North wrote:
    >
    > > "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > > > Michael wrote:
    > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > Having different cultured people here from other countries is

    not
    > > what
    > > > > bothers me. I indicated this in my original post. It's the fact that

    I
    > > get
    > > > > an arrogant attitude and treated badly because I can't understand

    their
    > > > > native language.
    > > > >
    > > >
    > > > And what do people from other cultures not speaking english have to do

    > > with
    > > > photography?
    > > >
    > > > Paul.
    > > >

    > > -------
    > >
    > > Should I be thinking "arrogant bastard" here?...
    > >
    > > It's a cinch you don't live in deepest darkest Peckham, that's for

    sure -
    > > but really - what does speaking English have to do with photography

    either?
    > >
    > > If cameras and speaking a particular language simply must be joined,

    then we
    > > should all be speaking Japanese.
    > >
    > > We have met the enemy and it is us!
    > > ---- Pogo
    > >
    > > Journalist

    >
    > Have you, or Michael, taken a look at what this group is about? I don't

    mind
    > threads veering off occasionally but there's only one word for this

    message and
    > it is prejudism.
    >
    > oh yeah, no, I don't live in Peckham, I live in the North East, where

    women are
    > women, men are men and sheep are scared.
    >
    > My point to Michael was simply that his post is not just a little off

    topic but
    > has nothing at all to do with this group what so bloody ever.
    >
    > BTW if you think I'm arrogant you haven't been in this group long enough.
    >
    > Paul.
    >

    -----------

    Probably the most sensible thing said.

    > BTW if you think I'm arrogant you haven't been in this group long enough.


    I am (an arrogant bastard) but I don't bare my teeth, or bite, too often -
    only on occasions reserved usually for culturally deprived Americans. LOL

    My point was just as yours is, that sniping at a poster because of their
    language difficulty is OT. I might not be seeing all the posts as BY has
    been having problems, and still is, with both the text and binary news
    servers for the last few days not updating from the usenet feeds.

    Rather than complain I prefer to understand. To shape opinion in others you
    must have one yourself.

    Feliz Navidad
    Noël joyeux
    Fröhliches Weihnachten
    Il buon Natale
    Vrolijke Kerstmis
    Natal feliz
    Lystig Jul
    Happy Christmas

    Journalist
     
    Journalist-North, Dec 24, 2003
  19. Michael

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Journalist-North wrote:

    >
    > Happy Christmas
    >
    > Journalist


    replied by mail



    --
    Paul.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    to look at
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
     
    Paul Heslop, Dec 24, 2003
  20. Michael

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Journalist-North wrote:

    > "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Journalist-North wrote:
    > >

    >
    > > > >
    > > > > :O) You'll have to excuse him, he's from Barcelona.
    > > > >
    > > > > Paul.
    > > > >
    > > > --------
    > > >
    > > > ¿Qué? Pienso que usted necesita escribir con cartas grandes y escribir a
    > > > máquina más lento.
    > > >
    > > > LOL
    > > >
    > > > Journalist = One who reads, writes and speaks 5 languages...all

    > badly...and
    > > > all with a New York accent...but at least I try.

    > >
    > > La línea es de las torres de un Fawlty... y no hablo español. :O)
    > >
    > > Paul.
    > >

    > ---------
    >
    > I know, Paul, I am just down the road from you in the N of England...just
    > down the road globally speaking, that is. I do some Italian; French: Dutch
    > and Spanish. I do English too, both British and American idiom. Guess I am
    > what you might call a cultural chameleon as I tend to blend in to what ever
    > place I find myself working by learning some of the language - but even back
    > home in English speaking countries I am neither surprised nor put off by the
    > fact that not everyone speaks my preferred language.
    >
    > Lesson 1
    > En: You'll have to excuse him, he's from Barcelona
    > Es: Usted lo tendrá que dispensar, él es de Barcelona
    >
    > Lesson 2
    > En: The line is from the British television programme Faulty Towers
    > Es: La línea es del programa televisivo inglés Torres Defectuosas
    > ("defective towers" in literal translation - Spanish has no exact substitute
    > for the En word "faulty" = Es literal "defectivo" = En exact "defective")
    >
    > Then again, I learned spoken Spanish in the Ecuadorian and Colombian manner
    > of speaking with a smattering of Cuban, Mexican. Peruvian, Argentinean and
    > Puerto Rican local usage and slang thrown in. They don't use, for example,
    > the "th" sound as you might hear it in Spain. But I manage.
    >
    > Rather than complain I prefer to understand.
    >
    > Journalist


    I used to get bugged by that 'th' sound when watching spanish channels on
    satellite. My favourite language for me not to understand was German. I felt I
    was grasping that pretty reasonably before I lost all the german channels too.
    I've never been further than London in my life so any other languages I here are
    on tv or occasionally on the street. I have listened to how Indians/pakistanis
    speak since I was a kid and it still sounds like a lot of letters thrown in the
    air and arranged into words as they fell.


    --
    Paul.
    --------------------------------------------------------------
    to look at
    http://www.geocities.com/dreamst8me/
     
    Paul Heslop, Dec 24, 2003
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. User

    Paint Shop Pro now speaks German?

    User, Sep 25, 2003, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    503
  2. fkissam
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    675
  3. Proud USA Babe

    AMERICAN ENGLISH vs BRITISH, CANADIAN, or AUSTRALIAN ENGLISH

    Proud USA Babe, Sep 22, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    247
    Views:
    5,217
    The Magician
    Oct 7, 2003
  4. =?Utf-8?B?QXJubw==?=

    German MUI ? Why does W64XP still "speaks" English?

    =?Utf-8?B?QXJubw==?=, Apr 20, 2006, in forum: Windows 64bit
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    541
    Andre Da Costa [Extended64]
    Apr 20, 2006
  5. Ant1

    dictionary spanish-english/english spanish

    Ant1, Dec 15, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    885
Loading...

Share This Page