No one speaks english anymore??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Michael, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >Not every Spanish-speaking person you encounter crossed the border
    >illegally from Mexico. Something to think of.

    Where in his post did he even suggest that??

    zbzbzb, Dec 24, 2003

  2. Michael

    Noel Guest

    On 23 Dec 2003 19:03:28 GMT, bzbzb (zbzbzb) wrote:

    >Yes I'm sure he's an authority on the issue.

    Chances are that he is far more of an authority on the issue than you.

    Noel, Dec 24, 2003

  3. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >>Yes I'm sure he's an authority on the issue.
    >
    >Chances are that he is far more of an authority on the issue than you.

    Why, because he has the money to write books and make movies? Please.

    I'm sure he also never lets politics and emotions get in the way of reason. He
    proved, afterall, how levelheaded of a thinker he is during the Oscars.

    zbzbzb, Dec 24, 2003
  4. Michael

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    zbzbzb wrote:

    > Not surprising you would have something like that stashed away.

    Actually the internet is full of Dubya's "pearls of wisdom"...

    Have fun:

    http://www.dubyaspeak.com

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 24, 2003
  5. Michael

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    Start by crawling into a hole and pulling the rest of the dirt in with you.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto
    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, since a lot of people abroad from America probably read this group I'm
    > going to post it here and hopefully get some good feedback. I was born and
    > raised on the East Coast of the US. I grew up in not so nice neighborhoods
    > so I have some street smarts and I'm aware of what's going on out there. I
    > am not a prejudice person. I've worked since I was legally able to and the
    > feds have been sucking taxes out of me ever since. I currently live in
    > Central NJ, where it's busy and crowded. I've realized that most stores,
    > fast food establishments, gas stations, service companies, anything that's
    > retail the people that work there do not speak much English. Today I was
    > shopping and tried to ask some questions about a product that was being
    > sold. The sales associate had a very strong accent and I couldn't

    understand
    > him. He actually got upset with me because I couldn't understand what he

    was
    > saying. Another sales associate came over which had an accent himself, but
    > not as strong as the first guy. The second gentlemen was hard to

    understand
    > also. For some reason these two guys got arrogant with me because I

    couldn't
    > understand them! I believe it was a Spanish accent. I indicated to them

    that
    > I wanted to speak to an English speaking sales associate and they got
    > offended and tried to play it off that I was prejudice and didn't like
    > Hispanics. My god, all I wanted was some questions answered about a

    product.
    > To my disbelief the store supervisor was understandable, but also had a
    > heavy accent. Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
    > the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
    > does in an English speaking country? Last time I checked when I saw the
    > President on TV he was speaking English with no accent. I want to know why
    > in the hell would these Hispanic employees get mad at me because I don't
    > understand them? Do they think I'm going to actually learn their language

    or
    > feel ashamed that I didn't understand them? I would think they would be
    > ashamed because they can't speak the English language correctly, buy lemme
    > tell you...they have no shame whatsoever. This is just one small incident
    > that happens to me on a daily basis. I refuse to buy fast food at
    > drive-throughs anymore. If you don't speak Spanish, you'll never get what
    > you want. When you purchase gasoline (in NJ you can't pump yourself) you
    > have to tell the attendant 5 times what you want and speak like you are
    > talking to a 5 year old. I think I'm getting a little frustrated nowadays
    > that these companies don't care if their employees don't even speak the
    > language correctly as long as they take the cheapest salary I guess. If I
    > were to move to another country I would certainly learn and be fluent in
    > that language and make sure I was ashamed if I couldn't speak it

    correctly.

    Tony Spadaro, Dec 24, 2003
  6. Michael

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    zbzbzb wrote:

    > Why, because he has the money to write books and
    > make movies? Please.

    Because in order to write books and make documentaries
    you have to do a lot of RESEARCH. Yeah, I know, you
    have absolutely no clue.

    I rest my case.

    > I'm sure he also never lets politics and emotions get in the way of
    > reason. He proved, afterall, how levelheaded of a thinker he is
    > during the Oscars.

    Some people actually DO have human emotions.
    Not a bad thing, after all...

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 24, 2003
  7. Michael

    Paul Heslop Guest

    zbzbzb wrote:

    > >>Yes I'm sure he's an authority on the issue.

    > >Chances are that he is far more of an authority on the issue than you.
    > >

    > Why, because he has the money to write books and make movies? Please.
    >
    > I'm sure he also never lets politics and emotions get in the way of reason. He
    > proved, afterall, how levelheaded of a thinker he is during the Oscars.

    The guy lived in a town where they were shafted in the way we were discussing.

    --
    Paul.
    to look at

    Paul Heslop, Dec 24, 2003
  8. Michael

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Mark Herring wrote:

    > 1. Yes, you have a point. We're a great melting pot.
    > Personally, I don't get upset at all the different cultures,
    > but it is disturbing that our laws and customs are inconsistent.
    > Witness the driver's license issue in CA.

    The laws are inconsistent because the PEOPLE who elect
    lawmakers are inconsistent too. There wouldn't be illegals
    here if a lot of people weren't big HYPOCRITES who
    pretend to be strongly against illegal immigration but love
    to hire illegals to mow lawns, wash dishes or pick fruit for
    way less than minimum wage.

    Since NOBODY really wants the illegals to leave (because
    too many EXPLOIT them...), at this point I'd really like them
    to get driver licenses and learn the system, rather than drive
    without and put lives at risk.

    > 2. Doesn't the same thing happen in a lot of big cities around
    > the world?

    Yes, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

    > 3. Admire your comment about learning the language if you
    > moved somewhere else. Most Americans do not have that
    > attitude.

    Exactly.

    > 4. Dubya speaks English??---Not anytime I heard him
    > speak.

    Here's a good sample of GWB's mastery of the English
    language:

    http://www.dubyaspeak.com

    > 5. Finally, please be aware that your written English is not
    > that great.

    Yep, before blaming immigrants, a lot of Americans should
    check their own English...

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 24, 2003
  9. Michael

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    zbzbzb wrote:

    >> I presume by your logic that you should fit in with the people of
    >> the land that you are moving to that you speak Arapaho or Apache?

    > If he moved onto an Apache reservation then sure, why not?

    Before the Brits came to this country, it was an ENTIRE
    Indian reservation... I don't recall any of the Pilgrims even
    trying to speak the local language, let alone adapt to the
    local customs...

    Suddenly, a second standard applies.

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 24, 2003
  10. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> Why, because he has the money to write books and
    >> make movies? Please.

    >Because in order to write books and make documentaries
    >you have to do a lot of RESEARCH. Yeah, I know, you
    >have absolutely no clue.
    >
    >I rest my case.

    Using that logic then I guess books that you would consider written by "right
    wingers" or "fascists" are well researched?

    >> I'm sure he also never lets politics and emotions get in the way of
    >> reason. He proved, afterall, how levelheaded of a thinker he is
    >> during the Oscars.

    >Some people actually DO have human emotions.
    >Not a bad thing, after all...

    You're right it isn't, so long as it doesn't interfere with a persons
    objectivity. In his case it obviously does.

    zbzbzb, Dec 24, 2003
  11. Michael

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    zbzbzb wrote:

    > I agree. Many California laws, or lack of them, for
    > example, encourage illegal immigration.

    It's not the laws, it's hypocrites who pretend to be
    against illegal immigration but hire illegals to pay less
    than minimum wage. Without them, there would be
    no illegal immigration.

    >> 2. Doesn't the same thing happen in a lot of big cities
    >> around the world?

    > Does it?

    Yes, but of course you wouldn't know...

    > I think that's wrong. Most reasonable people if permanently
    > moving to another country with another language will want
    > to learn the language.

    It's pretty clear you have never met Americans working abroad.
    Very few have bothered to learn the local language...

    > In that sense I don't think Americans are any more unreasonable
    > than people from any other country.

    They averagely are. You just don't know. I have met Americans
    living in Europe and Asia. Very few could speak the local
    language.

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 24, 2003
  12. Michael

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Journalist-North wrote:

    > Oh...and let's not forget the bank accounts for los emigrantes
    > either. Just something else to complain about.

    BIG business for US banks. Really big.
    They would NEVER in a million years
    give it away.

    Now you know who's to blame.

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 24, 2003
  13. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >The laws are inconsistent because the PEOPLE who elect
    >lawmakers are inconsistent too. There wouldn't be illegals
    >here if a lot of people weren't big HYPOCRITES who
    >pretend to be strongly against illegal immigration but love
    >to hire illegals to mow lawns, wash dishes or pick fruit for
    >way less than minimum wage.

    Do you hire them?

    The problem with illegals in California and elsewhere is that there is no
    stomach to enforce laws already in place to handle the problem or the stomach
    to create laws to handle the situation better. Most of that originates from the
    left side of the political spectrum. The one you are a part of.

    >> 3. Admire your comment about learning the language if you
    >> moved somewhere else. Most Americans do not have that
    >> attitude.

    >Exactly.

    There you go again.

    zbzbzb, Dec 24, 2003
  14. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >>> I presume by your logic that you should fit in with the people of
    >>> the land that you are moving to that you speak Arapaho or Apache?

    >> If he moved onto an Apache reservation then sure, why not?

    >Before the Brits came to this country, it was an ENTIRE
    >Indian reservation...

    Sorry to disappoint you but the whole country was not inhabited by Indians. The
    majority of it was actually uninhabited with many Indian communities scattered
    about.

    > I don't recall any of the Pilgrims even
    >trying to speak the local language, let alone adapt to the
    >local customs...

    Oh, so now you know what all the pilgrims did?

    >Suddenly, a second standard applies.

    Only in your eyes.

    zbzbzb, Dec 24, 2003
  15. Michael

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Re: OT: No one speaks english anymore??

    Noel wrote:

    >> 2. Doesn't the same thing happen in a lot of big cities around
    >> the world?

    > Perhaps, but don't you think it a bit arrogant to expect that you can
    > emigrate to another country, and get away with never speaking the
    > majority language of that country? When I moved to Moscow, I did
    > not entertain such a notion, and set about learning Russian.

    In an ideal world, you'd be right. In the real world, people
    who can't even speak their native language well often have
    insurmountable problems picking up a new one, especially
    if they're not exactly young. I'm afraid that is the typical
    immigrant nowadays.

    Also consider that most Americans abroad DO NOT learn
    the language and expect the locals to speak English.

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 24, 2003
  16. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> I agree. Many California laws, or lack of them, for
    >> example, encourage illegal immigration.

    >It's not the laws, it's hypocrites who pretend to be
    >against illegal immigration but hire illegals to pay less
    >than minimum wage. Without them, there would be
    >no illegal immigration.

    And they should be prosecuted.

    You're also only kidding yourself if you think screwy laws do not encourage
    illegal immigration. I'll give you two. The first one being the automatic
    granting of American citizenship to any child born here, including illegals.
    The second being free health care. Oh but wait, you say America doesn't have a
    free health care system? I guess someone forgot to tell the illegals.

    zbzbzb, Dec 24, 2003
  17. Michael

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    zbzbzb wrote:

    >> I see prejudice in your posting.

    > Where in his post is there any sign of him being "prejudice??"

    We really can't expect you to see it.
    Because you're also prejudiced. BIG TIME.
    (Note the "d" at the end. You made the same mistake
    over and over. Think about it, before you go on bashing
    immigrants...)

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 24, 2003
  18. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> I think that's wrong. Most reasonable people if permanently
    >> moving to another country with another language will want
    >> to learn the language.

    >It's pretty clear you have never met Americans working abroad.

    Yes I see how you can make such a logical conclusion as that based on what I
    said.

    >Very few have bothered to learn the local language...

    Try reading the whole thread so you can understand what you are replying to. It
    was in response to moving somewhere permanently, not working.

    >> In that sense I don't think Americans are any more unreasonable
    >> than people from any other country.

    >They averagely are. You just don't know. I have met Americans
    >living in Europe and Asia. Very few could speak the local
    >language.

    Then I would guess they didn't plan on staying there for the rest of their
    lives.

    zbzbzb, Dec 24, 2003
  19. Michael

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Ron Hunter wrote:

    > Yes, it IS. Many second and third generation immigrants these days
    > DON'T, and WON'T speak English. When I was in school, one girl in my
    > class said her grandmother wouldn't allow English to be spoken in the
    > house

    But she obviously spoke English...
    Contradiction?

    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 24, 2003
  20. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> Oh...and let's not forget the bank accounts for los emigrantes
    >> either. Just something else to complain about.

    >BIG business for US banks. Really big.
    >They would NEVER in a million years
    >give it away.
    >
    >Now you know who's to blame.