No one speaks english anymore??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Michael, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Charlie Self wrote:

    > Ron Hunter writes:
    >

    >>Some do, some don't. Some even refuse to use capitals, and punctuation.
    >> Ever read anything by James Joyce?
    >>

    > A lot. None of it twice.
    >
    > Charlie Self
    >
    > "Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
    > Alexander Hamilton
    >
    > http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html

    I didn't either. Just illustrating that some people express themselves
    differently, and literature is available with the same features.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Michael

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that "Mike" <> stated that:

    > Frank,
    >Come to little old England our customer services in banking, insurance and
    >telephone companies are mainly, or soon going to be, in India.
    >
    >Where they speak pucker English ( sounds like Welsh accent).

    Oh dear.
    I think you mean 'pukkha', also known in England as 'Bombay Welsh'.

    > The trouble
    >with this is, they are probably better educated that the people they serve.

    Or even the people they argue with on Usenet. ;)

    >They are mainly university graduates and the money they earn is better that
    >the indigenous work available locally can pay, but its cheaper for our
    >industries to do this and soon nobody will be working in England.
    >
    >I feel sorry for them and us as we cant get past them to talk to management
    >in England and they will have to answer the phone to irate people thousands
    >of miles away all day every day until they retire.
    >
    >At least the Americans look after their own,

    Hahahaha! - America was the first country to outsource tech-support work
    to India.

    >or do they, Is it cheap labour
    >wage slaves in India and the Hispanics in America that caused them to do
    >what they end up doing?!

    Greedy bosses, IMO.

    Lionel, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Charlie Self wrote:

    > Eric Witte notes:
    >

    >>If you go to school English is the primary language. They just have
    >>to also print in Spanish to be "fair". I still do not think the US
    >>has claimed an Official Language though. English is just an
    >>unofficial official language.

    > 'to be fair." Maybe we should have been fair to the influx of Italians, Scots,
    > Irish, Swedes, Danes, Germans, et al who helped settle the country without ANY
    > help from the government.
    >
    > Charlie Self
    >
    > "Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
    > Alexander Hamilton
    >
    > http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html

    Yes, but they learned English, at least most of them. There are still
    parts of Texas where German is the most common language heard.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Michael

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that "Michael" <> stated
    that:

    > It doesn't matter. Just because the topic is photography doesn't mean we
    >can't ever talk about some thing else.

    Well no, photographic topics often drift towards things that are
    off-topic. Nonetheless, it's extremely bad manners to deliberately start
    a very off-topic thread in a topical newsgroup.

    >Not my fault, sorry.

    Well, it is, actually. You chose to start a new, very off-topic thread.
    Nobody forced you to do so.

    Lionel, Dec 23, 2003
  5. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >In some, it already IS the official language. In Texas, the law
    >requires printing in Spanish, but it does NOT require printing in
    >English.... Children are REQUIRED to learn Spanish in school, Spanish
    >speaking children are NOT rquired to learn English. So what does that
    >tell you?

    Sounds bizarre. Are you sure you are 100% correct on that? 100%?

    zbzbzb, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Michael

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Michael wrote:

    > It doesn't matter. Just because the topic is photography doesn't mean we
    > can't ever talk about some thing else. Many people responded with some good
    > information and their ideas about the whole thing. It was interesting
    > reading. Also, don't blame me because you read some thing that didn't have
    > anything to do with photography. I made sure my subject in the original post
    > was accurate and you still read it. Not my fault, sorry.

    but why here? Surely there's a group where this twaddle is more appropriate? It
    has absolutely NO relevance, unless you were complaining about not being able to
    be understood in your local camera shop. What this is, plain and simple, is
    trolling.

    --
    Paul.
    to look at

    Paul Heslop, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >'to be fair." Maybe we should have been fair to the influx of Italians,
    >Scots,
    >Irish, Swedes, Danes, Germans, et al who helped settle the country without
    >ANY
    >help from the government.
    >
    >Charlie Self

    Exactly. The "fair" being spoken of is usually the catering that mostly
    liberals do in order to garner votes in our ridiculously politically correct
    world. Look at the recently ousted governor of California and how he actually
    granted illegal immigrants the right to have a drivers licenses. Same thing.
    Much of it also comes from the growing hispanic community itself that thinks
    that anything that adversely affects them is racially motivated.

    zbzbzb, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >Not exactly. English may be the more common language, but Spanish is
    >mandatory, and English is NOT. Children who speak Spanish are NOT
    >required to learn English. The government is NOT required to print
    >notices in English. It DOES, but there is no legal requirement that
    >spells out such a requirement.

    Show some proof of that. Sounds to bizarre to believe.

    zbzbzb, Dec 23, 2003
  9. On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:50:55 GMT, Paul Heslop
    <> wrote:

    >Michael wrote:
    >and you forgot to ask whether they sold digital cameras?

    He probably asked about a digital camera, or an accessory for one, but
    didn't understand the replies:

    Michael: "Is this lens any good?"
    Manuel: "Eeesa Seegma."
    Michael: "Pardon?"
    Manuel: "Eeee-saaa Seeeeg-maaa."

    Andy

    Andy Blanchard, Dec 23, 2003
  10. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
    >> the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
    >> does in an English speaking country?

    >Let me ask... do they teach people in the US to use paragraphs in
    >their text?
    >
    >Frank

    Nope, we just put together words as they pop into our heads between grunts and
    chirps. We usually write with crayons too. Chalk isn't too bad either.

    Did anyone ever teach you how to address someone without being insulting to
    many others? Of course that may have been your intention.

    zbzbzb, Dec 23, 2003
  11. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> At least the Americans look after their own, or do they, Is it cheap labour
    >> wage slaves in India and the Hispanics in America that caused them to do
    >> what they end up doing?!
    >>
    >> MikeS

    >I don't know where you got that. We are starting to move tech support
    >over to India as well. AFAIK 100% of Dell's level 1 support is now in
    >India.
    >
    >Eric

    Dell abandoned most of their tech support from India recently. I'm sure others
    will follow too. I mean if you can't understand the person trying to help you
    then what's the point?

    zbzbzb, Dec 23, 2003
  12. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >The same thing is happening in the states too, ask Michael Moore.
    >

    >--
    > Paul.

    Yes I'm sure he's an authority on the issue.

    zbzbzb, Dec 23, 2003
  13. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >Well, where to start?
    >
    >1. Yes, you have a point. We're a great melting pot.
    >Personally, I don't get upset at all the different cultures, but it is
    >disturbing that our laws and customs are inconsistent. Witness the
    >driver's license issue in CA.

    I agree. Many California laws, or lack of them, for example, encourage illegal
    immigration. It's a joke. The drivers license issue was a perfect example of
    that.

    >2. Doesn't the same thing happen in a lot of big cities around
    >the world?

    Does it?

    >3. Admire your comment about learning the language if you moved
    >somewhere else. Most Americans do not have that attitude.

    I think that's wrong. Most reasonable people if permanently moving to another
    country with another language will want to learn the language. The motivation
    to make such a drastic change to ones life usually includes the willingness to
    at least learn the language. In that sense I don't think Americans are any more
    unreasonable than people from any other country.

    >4. Dubya speaks English??---Not anytime I heard him speak.

    Maybe not to your satisfaction but there are people who would think the same of
    your english.

    >5. Finally, please be aware that your written English is not that
    >great. You have one big run-on paragraph, plus some very clumsy
    >sentence structures and grammatical errors. You might want to
    >consider getting your own house in order.
    >**************************
    >Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.

    Did you understand him? Most people when they post to a newsgroup are not
    concerned about sentence structure and grammatical errors as if they were doing
    a school assignment. He was also talking about understanding someones spoken
    english, not their sentence structure.

    zbzbzb, Dec 23, 2003
  14. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >I presume by your logic that you should fit in with the people of the land
    >that you are moving to that you speak Arapaho or Apache?

    If he moved onto an Apache reservation then sure, why not?

    zbzbzb, Dec 23, 2003
  15. Michael

    JIM Guest

    "Charlie Self" <> wrote in message
    > JIM writes:
    >

    > >Back on topic, maybe it gives something for photogs to do, photograph the
    > >assembly steps for the products so the manuals can be reduced in size by
    > >eliminating the need for any language??

    > You need to check out some manuals. They are already full of photos in

    most
    > cases, drawings in others.

    Not being much of an innovator, my post about photo instructions was gleaned
    from having just assembled one of those Christmas 'erector' sets utilizing
    photo instructions with not the first printed word;) Complaint to this
    manufacturer would be to flesh out at least one photo showing the pressing
    of two parts together by hand pressure only, by adding a pic of a hammer -
    'cause, even Arnold would have blown a gasket trying to get this boy to pop
    in - It went fine with a quick rap with a small 5 lb sledgehammer!

    The photo instructions not only aid the language challenged but possibly the
    college graduated illiterate as well - that is if he/she thinks to read, uh
    look at the instructions before attempting assembly. Something many in this
    newsgroup would benefit from before asking where the "on" switch, etc., is
    located...........

    Jim

    JIM, Dec 23, 2003
  16. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >I see prejudice in your posting.

    Where in his post is there any sign of him being "prejudice??"

    zbzbzb, Dec 23, 2003
  17. Michael

    Donald Gray Guest

    On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 00:12:26 -0500, "Michael"
    <> wrote:

    >Ok, since a lot of people abroad from America probably read this group I'm
    >going to post it here and hopefully get some good feedback.

    WTF has this got to do with r.p.d?

    --
    Donald Gray
    www.odcombe.demon.co.uk

    Donald Gray, Dec 23, 2003
  18. Michael

    Paul Heslop Guest

    zbzbzb wrote:

    > >The same thing is happening in the states too, ask Michael Moore.
    > >

    > >--
    > > Paul.

    > Yes I'm sure he's an authority on the issue.

    More so than I am.

    Paul Heslop, Dec 23, 2003
  19. Michael

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Andy Blanchard wrote:

    > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:50:55 GMT, Paul Heslop
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Michael wrote:
    > >and you forgot to ask whether they sold digital cameras?

    > He probably asked about a digital camera, or an accessory for one, but
    > didn't understand the replies:
    >
    > Michael: "Is this lens any good?"
    > Manuel: "Eeesa Seegma."
    > Michael: "Pardon?"
    > Manuel: "Eeee-saaa Seeeeg-maaa."
    >
    > Andy

    :O) You'll have to excuse him, he's from Barcelona.

    Paul Heslop, Dec 23, 2003
  20. "Paul Heslop" <> wrote in message
    > Andy Blanchard wrote:
    >
    > > On Tue, 23 Dec 2003 15:50:55 GMT, Paul Heslop
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Michael wrote:
    > > >and you forgot to ask whether they sold digital cameras?

    > > He probably asked about a digital camera, or an accessory for one, but
    > > didn't understand the replies:
    > >
    > > Michael: "Is this lens any good?"
    > > Manuel: "Eeesa Seegma."
    > > Michael: "Pardon?"
    > > Manuel: "Eeee-saaa Seeeeg-maaa."
    > >
    > > Andy

    > :O) You'll have to excuse him, he's from Barcelona.
    >
    > Paul.

    --------

    ¿Qué? Pienso que usted necesita escribir con cartas grandes y escribir a
    máquina más lento.

    LOL

    Journalist = One who reads, writes and speaks 5 languages...all badly...and
    all with a New York accent...but at least I try.

    Journalist-North, Dec 23, 2003