No one speaks english anymore??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Michael, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Eric Witte Guest

    > At least the Americans look after their own, or do they, Is it cheap labour
    > wage slaves in India and the Hispanics in America that caused them to do
    > what they end up doing?!
    >
    > MikeS

    I don't know where you got that. We are starting to move tech support
    over to India as well. AFAIK 100% of Dell's level 1 support is now in
    India.

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Michael

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Mike wrote:

    > "Frank van der Pol" <frank@_remove.this_digitalefotografie.com> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > Michael schreef in bericht <>:
    > >
    > > > Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
    > > > the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
    > > > does in an English speaking country?

    > > Let me ask... do they teach people in the US to use paragraphs in
    > > their text?
    > >

    > Frank,
    > Come to little old England our customer services in banking, insurance and
    > telephone companies are mainly, or soon going to be, in India.
    >
    > Where they speak pucker English ( sounds like Welsh accent). The trouble
    > with this is, they are probably better educated that the people they serve.
    >
    > They are mainly university graduates and the money they earn is better that
    > the indigenous work available locally can pay, but its cheaper for our
    > industries to do this and soon nobody will be working in England.
    >
    > I feel sorry for them and us as we cant get past them to talk to management
    > in England and they will have to answer the phone to irate people thousands
    > of miles away all day every day until they retire.
    >
    > At least the Americans look after their own, or do they, Is it cheap labour
    > wage slaves in India and the Hispanics in America that caused them to do
    > what they end up doing?!
    >
    > MikeS

    The same thing is happening in the states too, ask Michael Moore.

    --
    Paul.
    to look at

    Paul Heslop, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Michael

    Eric Witte Guest

    > In some, it already IS the official language. In Texas, the law
    > requires printing in Spanish, but it does NOT require printing in
    > English.... Children are REQUIRED to learn Spanish in school, Spanish
    > speaking children are NOT rquired to learn English. So what does that
    > tell you?

    If you go to school English is the primary language. They just have
    to also print in Spanish to be "fair". I still do not think the US
    has claimed an Official Language though. English is just an
    unofficial official language.

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Michael

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Michael wrote:

    > Having different cultured people here from other countries is not what
    > bothers me. I indicated this in my original post. It's the fact that I get
    > an arrogant attitude and treated badly because I can't understand their
    > native language.

    And what do people from other cultures not speaking english have to do with
    photography?

    Paul Heslop, Dec 23, 2003
  5. Michael

    Eric Witte Guest

    "Alan D-W" <> wrote in message news:<bs8un5$ao7lu$-berlin.de>...
    > "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > > Ok, since a lot of people abroad from America probably read this group I'm
    > > going to post it here and hopefully get some good feedback. I was born and

    > Que? No comprende.
    >
    > What the hell has this rant got to do with digital photography please?
    >
    > These days society is multicultural, live with it. It's not only America,
    > it's here in the UK too. It's everywhere.

    Should it count as Spanish if you leave the accents out? I just got
    an email from someone that was talking about one thing but the meaning
    of the word she actually used was "breast."

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Michael

    Eric Witte Guest

    > please pick up some garbage he had just thrown onto the pavement and the
    > parents went ballistic on him accusing him of being prejudice and saying that
    > the only reason he had said that to them was because they were Mexican! This
    > poor guy, who didn't have a prejudice bone in his body, was flabbergasted.
    > Again, I wasn't surprised at all.

    It would have been hilarious if he told the off in Spanish. I would
    of phrased it more like "I don't think that crap belongs there." I'll
    say it to everyone though, especially people throwing their cigarettes
    out the window.

    Eric

    Eric Witte, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Michael

    Charlie Self Guest

    Ron Hunter writes:

    >Some do, some don't. Some even refuse to use capitals, and punctuation.
    > Ever read anything by James Joyce?

    A lot. None of it twice.

    Charlie Self

    "Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
    Alexander Hamilton

    Charlie Self, Dec 23, 2003
  8. Michael

    Michael Guest

    It doesn't matter. Just because the topic is photography doesn't mean we
    can't ever talk about some thing else. Many people responded with some good
    information and their ideas about the whole thing. It was interesting
    reading. Also, don't blame me because you read some thing that didn't have
    anything to do with photography. I made sure my subject in the original post
    was accurate and you still read it. Not my fault, sorry.

    Michael, Dec 23, 2003
  9. Michael

    Charlie Self Guest

    Eric Witte notes:

    >If you go to school English is the primary language. They just have
    >to also print in Spanish to be "fair". I still do not think the US
    >has claimed an Official Language though. English is just an
    >unofficial official language.

    'to be fair." Maybe we should have been fair to the influx of Italians, Scots,
    Irish, Swedes, Danes, Germans, et al who helped settle the country without ANY
    help from the government.

    Charlie Self, Dec 23, 2003
  10. Michael

    Chris Quinn Guest

    I presume by your logic that you should fit in with the people of the land
    that you are moving to that you speak Arapaho or Apache?

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > I wrote that last post in about 3 minutes. I type faster then most
    > people speak. My grammar was sloppy, but I didn't need to be correct to

    get
    > my point across.
    >
    > I also heard that a Cuban refugee once steps foot on American soil

    get's
    > asylum here, $5000 and free healthcare. If this is true, I want some of

    that
    > action. When I was born, I didn't get free money and healthcare. My

    parents

    Chris Quinn, Dec 23, 2003
  11. "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, since a lot of people abroad from America probably read this group I'm
    > going to post it here and hopefully get some good feedback. I was born and
    > raised on the East Coast of the US. I grew up in not so nice neighborhoods
    > so I have some street smarts and I'm aware of what's going on out there. I
    > am not a prejudice person.

    <snip>

    I see prejudice in your posting. When I grew up in Brooklyn (I was born in
    1925), I would bicycle from one neighborhood to another, and in most of them
    I'd hear a language other than English spoken in the streets. Only one of
    my four grandparents spoke more than a few words of English. In one
    generation, everyone spoke English. It is no different with today's
    immigrants.

    Before we moved four years ago, we lived in a community with a large nunber
    of Hispanics. About 40% of the schoolchildren were listed as Hispanic. I
    saw that the parents were hard working and very much family oriented. I
    went to high school graduations even after all my children were out of
    school because I was on the school board. Each year, I saw a growing
    percentage of the Hispanic graduates going on to college.

    The melting pot still works. Celebrate the American heritage.

    Marvin Margoshes, Dec 23, 2003
  12. Michael

    George Kerby Guest

    On 12/23/03 9:28 AM, in article , "Ron
    Hunter" <> wrote:

    > Frank van der Pol wrote:
    >
    >> Michael schreef in bericht <>:
    >>

    >>> Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
    >>> the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
    >>> does in an English speaking country?

    >> Let me ask... do they teach people in the US to use paragraphs in
    >> their text?
    >>
    >> Frank

    > Some do, some don't. Some even refuse to use capitals, and punctuation.
    > Ever read anything by James Joyce?

    ee cummings?

    George Kerby, Dec 23, 2003
  13. "Mike" <> wrote in message news:<5jVFb.4248$>...
    > "Frank van der Pol" <frank@_remove.this_digitalefotografie.com> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > Michael schreef in bericht <>:
    > >
    > > > Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
    > > > the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
    > > > does in an English speaking country?

    > > Let me ask... do they teach people in the US to use paragraphs in
    > > their text?
    > >

    > Frank,
    > Come to little old England our customer services in banking, insurance and
    > telephone companies are mainly, or soon going to be, in India.
    >
    > Where they speak pucker English ( sounds like Welsh accent). The trouble
    > with this is, they are probably better educated that the people they serve.
    >
    > They are mainly university graduates and the money they earn is better that
    > the indigenous work available locally can pay, but its cheaper for our
    > industries to do this and soon nobody will be working in England.
    >
    > I feel sorry for them and us as we cant get past them to talk to management
    > in England and they will have to answer the phone to irate people thousands
    > of miles away all day every day until they retire.
    >
    > At least the Americans look after their own, or do they, Is it cheap labour
    > wage slaves in India and the Hispanics in America that caused them to do
    > what they end up doing?!
    >
    > MikeS

    If there are ony Scotts listening then translate this, "Facts
    are Cheals that will nae ding".

    I and about ten others nearly failed part of our college exam
    because the Maths instructor had such a heavy Indian accent. We were
    recoursed and re-sat the exam a month later and all passed. This guy
    was a Flight Leutenant in the RAF's No: 1 School of Technical
    Training. That happend 41 years ago too. So this ain't nuffin noo.

    Chris.

    Chris McBrien, Dec 23, 2003
  14. Michael

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    "Que?

    Dan Sullivan, Dec 23, 2003
  15. Ron Hunter wrote in part:

    > Well, you must have missed hearing the president speak for quite a
    > while. George Bush, being from Texas, as I am, does have quite an
    > accent, which he doesn't try to hide. Note that George also speaks
    > passable Spanish, probably with a terrible accent.

    It's pretty grating, but in this one case I can sympathize with the
    President.

    Having grown up with a Southern accent, where a lot of r sounds are
    softened up even more than the overcooked turnip greens at the Shoney's
    buffet, I have a tough time enunciating Spanish properly due to all the
    rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs. My tongue just doesn't move that fast.

    (Wait a minute. Do I want to post a message with the string "my tongue
    just doesn't move that fast" forever attached to my name in google and
    other searchable news archives? Let me think ... Am I likely to be
    apllying for a job associated with the Southern Baptist Convention? No.
    CHECK. Do I plan to run for political office here in Talibama? No.
    CHECK. Okay.)

    Anyway, I also hear that a lot of people learning to speak English well
    have the worst time with "th" and the short u. It's not easy to learn to
    speak, spell, and write English, especially as an adult.

    Remember GHOTI spells fish.

    On the other hand, it's amazing how flexible English is. You can make
    yourself understood if you come close to the right pronunciations,
    without worrying quite so much about word order and gender.

    I used to be quiet the English scholar; untill I started poasting on USENET

    > So what does this have to do with photography?

    Don't like, put me in a box, man.

    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    Unclaimed Mysteries, Dec 23, 2003
  16. Michael

    Lionel Guest

    Dear troll,

    I have no idea what newsgroups this rant would be on-topic in, but a
    photography group isn't one of them.

    Please try harder next time!

    Cheers,

    Lionel.

    Lionel, Dec 23, 2003
  17. Michael

    Dan Sullivan Guest

    "Lionel" <> wrote in message
    > Dear troll,
    >
    > I have no idea what newsgroups this rant would be on-topic in, but a
    > photography group isn't one of them.
    >
    > Please try harder next time!
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Lionel.

    Que?

    Dan Sullivan, Dec 23, 2003
  18. Michael

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that "Dan Sullivan" <> stated
    that:

    >"Lionel" <> wrote in message
    >> Dear troll,
    >>
    >> I have no idea what newsgroups this rant would be on-topic in, but a
    >> photography group isn't one of them.
    >>
    >> Please try harder next time!
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Lionel.

    >Que?

    You think the original post is even slightly on-topic in a photgraphy
    newsgroup?

    Lionel, Dec 23, 2003
  19. Michael

    Lionel Guest

    Kibo informs me that Ron Hunter <> stated that:

    >You should live here. The people who live on both sides of me are
    >Hispanic, and one of them, the nicest lady you could want to know,
    >speaks only a little English, even after 3 years here. Some people just
    >have a problem learning another language.

    Too true. It's very difficult to learn a new language after about 10
    years of age or so. I lived for about a year in Hong Kong during the
    dotcom boom, & learnt less than a dozen words of Chinese. On the bright
    side, I got *really* good at expressing myself with signs, & learnt to
    speak English with a Chinese accent, which is vitally important if you
    want your cab to end up on the correct side of the island.

    >I feel pretty much the same way. IF I were planning to live in another
    >country, I would make it my FIRST priority to learn the basics of their
    >language before moving there, and abandon my native language completely
    >until I achieved unconscious fluency in theirs.

    I felt much the same way until I found myself in the position of
    actually having to do it. I, like most people, am lazy & found it much
    simpler to hang out with other English speakers, rather than learn the
    local language properly. Since then, I've been much more sypathetic
    towards immigrants who find it difficult to pick up English.

    > That is the main
    >problem with many immigrants into the US today. They expect US to
    >accomodate them, rather than to merge into the 'melting pot'.
    >

    >So what does this have to do with photography?

    Not a thing. I'm guessing that the OP is one of the latest batch of
    trolls.

    Lionel, Dec 23, 2003
  20. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Eric Witte wrote:
    >>In some, it already IS the official language. In Texas, the law
    >>requires printing in Spanish, but it does NOT require printing in
    >>English.... Children are REQUIRED to learn Spanish in school, Spanish
    >>speaking children are NOT rquired to learn English. So what does that
    >>tell you?

    > If you go to school English is the primary language. They just have
    > to also print in Spanish to be "fair". I still do not think the US
    > has claimed an Official Language though. English is just an
    > unofficial official language.
    >
    > Eric

    Not exactly. English may be the more common language, but Spanish is
    mandatory, and English is NOT. Children who speak Spanish are NOT
    required to learn English. The government is NOT required to print
    notices in English. It DOES, but there is no legal requirement that
    spells out such a requirement.

    Ron Hunter, Dec 23, 2003