No one speaks english anymore??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Michael, Dec 23, 2003.

  1. Michael

    Michael Guest

    Ok, since a lot of people abroad from America probably read this group I'm
    going to post it here and hopefully get some good feedback. I was born and
    raised on the East Coast of the US. I grew up in not so nice neighborhoods
    so I have some street smarts and I'm aware of what's going on out there. I
    am not a prejudice person. I've worked since I was legally able to and the
    feds have been sucking taxes out of me ever since. I currently live in
    Central NJ, where it's busy and crowded. I've realized that most stores,
    fast food establishments, gas stations, service companies, anything that's
    retail the people that work there do not speak much English. Today I was
    shopping and tried to ask some questions about a product that was being
    sold. The sales associate had a very strong accent and I couldn't understand
    him. He actually got upset with me because I couldn't understand what he was
    saying. Another sales associate came over which had an accent himself, but
    not as strong as the first guy. The second gentlemen was hard to understand
    also. For some reason these two guys got arrogant with me because I couldn't
    understand them! I believe it was a Spanish accent. I indicated to them that
    I wanted to speak to an English speaking sales associate and they got
    offended and tried to play it off that I was prejudice and didn't like
    Hispanics. My god, all I wanted was some questions answered about a product.
    To my disbelief the store supervisor was understandable, but also had a
    heavy accent. Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
    the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
    does in an English speaking country? Last time I checked when I saw the
    President on TV he was speaking English with no accent. I want to know why
    in the hell would these Hispanic employees get mad at me because I don't
    understand them? Do they think I'm going to actually learn their language or
    feel ashamed that I didn't understand them? I would think they would be
    ashamed because they can't speak the English language correctly, buy lemme
    tell you...they have no shame whatsoever. This is just one small incident
    that happens to me on a daily basis. I refuse to buy fast food at
    drive-throughs anymore. If you don't speak Spanish, you'll never get what
    you want. When you purchase gasoline (in NJ you can't pump yourself) you
    have to tell the attendant 5 times what you want and speak like you are
    talking to a 5 year old. I think I'm getting a little frustrated nowadays
    that these companies don't care if their employees don't even speak the
    language correctly as long as they take the cheapest salary I guess. If I
    were to move to another country I would certainly learn and be fluent in
    that language and make sure I was ashamed if I couldn't speak it correctly.
    I have no sympathy or feelings for these type (not all of them) of people
    anymore that don't care.
    Michael, Dec 23, 2003

  2. Michael

    Paolo Pizzi Guest

    Michael wrote:

    > Last time I checked when I saw the President
    > on TV he was speaking English

    Really?

    "I wanna remind you all that I -- in, in order -- what -- in
    order to fight and win the war it requires a expenditure of
    money -- uhh, uhh -- that is commiserate with keeping a
    promise to our troops to make sure that they're well paid,
    well trained, well equipped."

    (Washington, D.C., Dec. 15, 2003)

    Doesn't sound much like English to me...

    ;-))))
    Paolo Pizzi, Dec 23, 2003

  3. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >I want to know why
    >in the hell would these Hispanic employees get mad at me because I don't
    >understand them? Do they think I'm going to actually learn their language or
    >feel ashamed that I didn't understand them? I would think they would be
    >ashamed because they can't speak the English language correctly, buy lemme
    >tell you...they have no shame whatsoever. This is just one small incident
    >that happens to me on a daily basis. I refuse to buy fast food at
    >drive-throughs anymore. If you don't speak Spanish, you'll never get what
    >you want. When you purchase gasoline (in NJ you can't pump yourself) you
    >have to tell the attendant 5 times what you want and speak like you are
    >talking to a 5 year old. I think I'm getting a little frustrated nowadays
    >that these companies don't care if their employees don't even speak the
    >language correctly as long as they take the cheapest salary I guess. If I
    >were to move to another country I would certainly learn and be fluent in
    >that language and make sure I was ashamed if I couldn't speak it correctly.
    >I have no sympathy or feelings for these type (not all of them) of people
    >anymore that don't care.

    Certain groups of people that emigrate to the US are like that. I'm sure it
    happens in other countries too, though I think it is tolerated way to much here
    in the US. I see the strongest resistance to learn English from the hispanic
    community. Some are pretty radical about it, just as you describe. Apparently
    they prefer their new society to conform to them. Unfortunately, your
    experience is no suprise to me. Next time just remind them that they are no
    longer in their former country and that if they want to continue making money
    off of customers that speak the native language then they should learn it too.

    I had a friend once tell some hispanic kid, in the parking lot of a K-Mart, to
    please pick up some garbage he had just thrown onto the pavement and the
    parents went ballistic on him accusing him of being prejudice and saying that
    the only reason he had said that to them was because they were Mexican! This
    poor guy, who didn't have a prejudice bone in his body, was flabbergasted.
    Again, I wasn't surprised at all.
    zbzbzb, Dec 23, 2003
  4. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >> Last time I checked when I saw the President
    >> on TV he was speaking English

    >Really?
    >
    >"I wanna remind you all that I -- in, in order -- what -- in
    >order to fight and win the war it requires a expenditure of
    >money -- uhh, uhh -- that is commiserate with keeping a
    >promise to our troops to make sure that they're well paid,
    >well trained, well equipped."
    >
    >(Washington, D.C., Dec. 15, 2003)
    >
    >Doesn't sound much like English to me...
    >
    >;-))))

    Not surprising you would have something like that stashed away.
    zbzbzb, Dec 23, 2003
  5. Michael

    gsum Guest

    Tha's in't wrong group lad. This has nowt to do
    wi' cameras.

    gsum, Dec 23, 2003
  6. Michael

    JIM Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    .....<cut>.... If you don't speak Spanish, you'll never get what
    > you want. ....<cut>....If I
    > were to move to another country I would certainly learn and be fluent in
    > that language and make sure I was ashamed if I couldn't speak it

    correctly.
    > I have no sympathy or feelings for these type (not all of them) of people
    > anymore that don't care.

    Michael - ever hear the word "multiculturalism?" Rampant illegal entry into
    the US combined with legal immigration has reached staggering proportions. A
    single walk through your local Wallymart should allow you to hear a minimum
    of three different languages, none of which would be english. Showing my age
    a smidgen, I had never heard a foreign language spoken in the US outside of
    school. After returning to the States from Germany, I was 20 years old
    before I heard another language other than english and that was 36 years ago
    on the island of Okinawa w/the Marine Corps! Having lost control of our
    borders, has changed all that.

    How many trees could the tree-huggers save if all the instruction manuals
    were printed in only the language of the country the product was sold in?
    Instruction manuals are beginning to resemble telephone directories.

    Folks who think all this "multi-whatever" is the wave of the future need to
    read Genesis 11:1-9, about the tower of Babel. God confused the languages
    and nobody could understand anybody else. Check out Canada, whole bunch of
    confusion going on with the languages spoken there already.

    Back on topic, maybe it gives something for photogs to do, photograph the
    assembly steps for the products so the manuals can be reduced in size by
    eliminating the need for any language??

    Jim
    JIM, Dec 23, 2003
  7. Michael

    Charlie Self Guest

    JIM writes:

    >Back on topic, maybe it gives something for photogs to do, photograph the
    >assembly steps for the products so the manuals can be reduced in size by
    >eliminating the need for any language??

    You need to check out some manuals. They are already full of photos in most
    cases, drawings in others.

    Charlie Self

    "Man is a reasoning rather than a reasonable animal."
    Alexander Hamilton

    Charlie Self, Dec 23, 2003
  8. On 2003-12-23, Michael <> wrote:
    > ... Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
    > the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
    > does in an English speaking country? Last time I checked when I saw the
    > President on TV he was speaking English with no accent. I want to know why
    > in the hell would these Hispanic employees get mad at me because I don't
    > understand them?

    There are US states with more people speaking spanish than english,
    and spanish will probably become the 2nd official language in those
    states within a few years, and later your 2nd national language.

    Have it from "completely unbiased" american friends from last time I
    was in Arnieland.
    Povl H. Pedersen, Dec 23, 2003
  9. Michael

    Alan D-W Guest

    "Michael" <> wrote in message
    > Ok, since a lot of people abroad from America probably read this group I'm
    > going to post it here and hopefully get some good feedback. I was born and

    Que? No comprende.

    What the hell has this rant got to do with digital photography please?

    These days society is multicultural, live with it. It's not only America,
    it's here in the UK too. It's everywhere.
    Alan D-W, Dec 23, 2003
  10. Michael

    zbzbzb Guest

    >There are US states with more people speaking spanish than english,
    >and spanish will probably become the 2nd official language in those
    >states within a few years, and later your 2nd national language.

    Officially we don't have a national language. It has always been unofficially
    English, of course, but just never made into law. Some years back there was
    talk of finally formalizing it and unbelievably the hispanic groups starting
    crying racism. That's usually their first line of defense when they want
    something their way.

    >Have it from "completely unbiased" american friends from last time I
    >was in Arnieland.

    Your friends are exaggerating.

    Many hispanics that have recently emigtrated are resistant to learning English
    but more importantly the vast majority of their children do end up primarily
    speaking English. Whether they can also speak another language is another
    matter.

    The first generations are always the more resistant, at least in that group.
    zbzbzb, Dec 23, 2003
  11. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Michael wrote:

    > Ok, since a lot of people abroad from America probably read this group I'm
    > going to post it here and hopefully get some good feedback. I was born and
    > raised on the East Coast of the US. I grew up in not so nice neighborhoods
    > so I have some street smarts and I'm aware of what's going on out there. I
    > am not a prejudice person. I've worked since I was legally able to and the
    > feds have been sucking taxes out of me ever since. I currently live in
    > Central NJ, where it's busy and crowded. I've realized that most stores,
    > fast food establishments, gas stations, service companies, anything that's
    > retail the people that work there do not speak much English. Today I was
    > shopping and tried to ask some questions about a product that was being
    > sold. The sales associate had a very strong accent and I couldn't understand
    > him. He actually got upset with me because I couldn't understand what he was
    > saying. Another sales associate came over which had an accent himself, but
    > not as strong as the first guy. The second gentlemen was hard to understand
    > also. For some reason these two guys got arrogant with me because I couldn't
    > understand them! I believe it was a Spanish accent. I indicated to them that
    > I wanted to speak to an English speaking sales associate and they got
    > offended and tried to play it off that I was prejudice and didn't like
    > Hispanics. My god, all I wanted was some questions answered about a product.
    > To my disbelief the store supervisor was understandable, but also had a
    > heavy accent. Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
    > the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
    > does in an English speaking country? Last time I checked when I saw the
    > President on TV he was speaking English with no accent. I want to know why
    > in the hell would these Hispanic employees get mad at me because I don't
    > understand them?

    Well, you must have missed hearing the president speak for quite a
    while. George Bush, being from Texas, as I am, does have quite an
    accent, which he doesn't try to hide. Note that George also speaks
    passable Spanish, probably with a terrible accent.

    Do they think I'm going to actually learn their language or
    > feel ashamed that I didn't understand them? I would think they would be
    > ashamed because they can't speak the English language correctly, buy lemme
    > tell you...they have no shame whatsoever.

    You should live here. The people who live on both sides of me are
    Hispanic, and one of them, the nicest lady you could want to know,
    speaks only a little English, even after 3 years here. Some people just
    have a problem learning another language.

    This is just one small incident
    > that happens to me on a daily basis. I refuse to buy fast food at
    > drive-throughs anymore. If you don't speak Spanish, you'll never get what
    > you want. When you purchase gasoline (in NJ you can't pump yourself) you
    > have to tell the attendant 5 times what you want and speak like you are
    > talking to a 5 year old. I think I'm getting a little frustrated nowadays
    > that these companies don't care if their employees don't even speak the
    > language correctly as long as they take the cheapest salary I guess. If I
    > were to move to another country I would certainly learn and be fluent in
    > that language and make sure I was ashamed if I couldn't speak it correctly.
    > I have no sympathy or feelings for these type (not all of them) of people
    > anymore that don't care.

    I feel pretty much the same way. IF I were planning to live in another
    country, I would make it my FIRST priority to learn the basics of their
    language before moving there, and abandon my native language completely
    until I achieved unconscious fluency in theirs. That is the main
    problem with many immigrants into the US today. They expect US to
    accomodate them, rather than to merge into the 'melting pot'.

    So what does this have to do with photography?
    Ron Hunter, Dec 23, 2003
  12. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Povl H. Pedersen wrote:

    > On 2003-12-23, Michael <> wrote:
    >
    >>... Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
    >>the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
    >>does in an English speaking country? Last time I checked when I saw the
    >>President on TV he was speaking English with no accent. I want to know why
    >>in the hell would these Hispanic employees get mad at me because I don't
    >>understand them?

    > There are US states with more people speaking spanish than english,
    > and spanish will probably become the 2nd official language in those
    > states within a few years, and later your 2nd national language.
    >
    > Have it from "completely unbiased" american friends from last time I
    > was in Arnieland.

    In some, it already IS the official language. In Texas, the law
    requires printing in Spanish, but it does NOT require printing in
    English.... Children are REQUIRED to learn Spanish in school, Spanish
    speaking children are NOT rquired to learn English. So what does that
    tell you?
    Ron Hunter, Dec 23, 2003
  13. Michael schreef in bericht <>:

    > Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
    > the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
    > does in an English speaking country?

    Let me ask... do they teach people in the US to use paragraphs in
    their text?

    Frank
    Frank van der Pol, Dec 23, 2003
  14. Michael

    Mike Guest

    "Frank van der Pol" <frank@_remove.this_digitalefotografie.com> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Michael schreef in bericht <>:
    >
    > > Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
    > > the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
    > > does in an English speaking country?

    > Let me ask... do they teach people in the US to use paragraphs in
    > their text?

    Frank,
    Come to little old England our customer services in banking, insurance and
    telephone companies are mainly, or soon going to be, in India.

    Where they speak pucker English ( sounds like Welsh accent). The trouble
    with this is, they are probably better educated that the people they serve.

    They are mainly university graduates and the money they earn is better that
    the indigenous work available locally can pay, but its cheaper for our
    industries to do this and soon nobody will be working in England.

    I feel sorry for them and us as we cant get past them to talk to management
    in England and they will have to answer the phone to irate people thousands
    of miles away all day every day until they retire.

    At least the Americans look after their own, or do they, Is it cheap labour
    wage slaves in India and the Hispanics in America that caused them to do
    what they end up doing?!

    MikeS
    Mike, Dec 23, 2003
  15. Michael

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Michael wrote:

    > Snipped 40 solid lines of text without a single break.

    paragraph

    n : one of several distinct subdivisions of a text intended to
    separate ideas; the beginning is usually marked by a new
    indented line
    Jim Townsend, Dec 23, 2003
  16. Michael

    Mark Herring Guest

    Well, where to start?

    1. Yes, you have a point. We're a great melting pot.
    Personally, I don't get upset at all the different cultures, but it is
    disturbing that our laws and customs are inconsistent. Witness the
    driver's license issue in CA.

    2. Doesn't the same thing happen in a lot of big cities around
    the world?

    3. Admire your comment about learning the language if you moved
    somewhere else. Most Americans do not have that attitude.

    4. Dubya speaks English??---Not anytime I heard him speak.

    5. Finally, please be aware that your written English is not that
    great. You have one big run-on paragraph, plus some very clumsy
    sentence structures and grammatical errors. You might want to
    consider getting your own house in order.
    **************************
    Mark Herring, Pasadena, Calif.
    Private e-mail: Just say no to "No".
    Mark Herring, Dec 23, 2003
  17. Michael

    Michael Guest

    I wrote that last post in about 3 minutes. I type faster then most
    people speak. My grammar was sloppy, but I didn't need to be correct to get
    my point across.

    I also heard that a Cuban refugee once steps foot on American soil get's
    asylum here, $5000 and free healthcare. If this is true, I want some of that
    action. When I was born, I didn't get free money and healthcare. My parents
    just got a large bill from the hospital. Strange. Maybe I need to move to
    Wyoming in the middle of no where. I think I'll be happier there and I'm
    sure there's plenty to take pictures of.

    Having different cultured people here from other countries is not what
    bothers me. I indicated this in my original post. It's the fact that I get
    an arrogant attitude and treated badly because I can't understand their
    native language.

    Michael, Dec 23, 2003
  18. Michael

    PhotoMan Guest

    "Povl H. Pedersen" <> wrote in message
    > On 2003-12-23, Michael <> wrote:
    > > ... Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
    > > the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
    > > does in an English speaking country? Last time I checked when I saw the
    > > President on TV he was speaking English with no accent. I want to know

    why
    > > in the hell would these Hispanic employees get mad at me because I don't
    > > understand them?

    > There are US states with more people speaking spanish than english,
    > and spanish will probably become the 2nd official language in those
    > states within a few years, and later your 2nd national language.
    >
    > Have it from "completely unbiased" american friends from last time I
    > was in Arnieland.

    Not too long ago in Miami, Florida, there was a public referendum on making
    Spanish the 'first' language in the schools. Will the last American to leave
    town please bring the flag.
    Joe Arnold
    PhotoMan, Dec 23, 2003
  19. Michael

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Frank van der Pol wrote:

    > Michael schreef in bericht <>:
    >

    >>Let me ask...is it appropriate for people that do not speak
    >>the English language correctly to insult or be arrogant to some one that
    >>does in an English speaking country?

    > Let me ask... do they teach people in the US to use paragraphs in
    > their text?
    >
    > Frank

    Some do, some don't. Some even refuse to use capitals, and punctuation.
    Ever read anything by James Joyce?
    Ron Hunter, Dec 23, 2003
  20. Michael

    Paul Heslop Guest

    Michael wrote:
    and you forgot to ask whether they sold digital cameras?

    --
    Paul.
    to look at
    Paul Heslop, Dec 23, 2003