No one is in hurry these days...

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Åke Tyvi, Nov 14, 2004.

  1. Åke Tyvi

    Åke Tyvi Guest

    NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2005

    Dear Sirs

    On FRI 12th of November in 2004 I purchased one of your products called
    "Norton Internet Security 2005" from www.verkkokauppa.com. This store is one
    of the largest computer stores in Finland Capital area.

    I specially made my mind up to purchase YOU PRODUCT IN STEAD OF
    ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ.

    However, I must say I do regret this purchase, since Your product do not
    install into my computer! I get some kind error notice "Error 1327: Invalid
    Drive C:\" when text "Norton Antivirus" and "Publishing product information"
    appears in the Setup program window. Since when have you decided, which disk
    labels customers must use, or is this
    clear era in you installation scripts. My disk labelling differs from normal
    and I still want this program to be installed on disk N.

    Pls do ask your technical support to give me an urgent answer how to install
    this product on my computer. If you have a patched and fixed version of this
    program, then send a CD copy of it to the address given address: Åke
    Tyvi/Curatores Ltd., Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, 01360 VANTAA, FINLAND (tel.
    +358-44-ZZZZ.ZZZ).

    Product information you need is given below:
    Product key: XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXX-XXXX-XXXX.
    Product: Norton Internet Security 2005
    Reseller in Finland: www.verkkokauppa.com
    Date of purchase: FRI 12th of November in 2004
    License owner: Curatores Ltd., Åke Tyvi
    Operating system: Xp + sp2.

    Sincerely,

    Åke Tyvi

    Ps. Yes I am slightly pissed off and I have better things to do, than
    pondering bugs happening at software installation time. The only reason, why
    I do not keep any noise about this feature is simply because of you fair
    trial offers given to users. And I really do not mind you licking my boots
    too, but we have to be realistic with these things.
    Åke Tyvi, Nov 14, 2004

  2. Åke Tyvi

    Chuck Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 13:13:06 GMT, "Åke Tyvi" <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

    >NORTON INTERNET SECURITY 2005
    >

    >Dear Sirs
    >
    >On FRI 12th of November in 2004 I purchased one of your products called
    >"Norton Internet Security 2005" from www.verkkokauppa.com. This store is one
    >of the largest computer stores in Finland Capital area.

    <SNIP>

    Ake,

    You MIGHT get a response if you post this in
    symantec.support.winnt.nortonantivirus.install. But don't hold your breath.

    --
    Cheers,
    Chuck
    Chuck, Nov 14, 2004

  3. Åke Tyvi

    Åke Tyvi Guest

    Work(/d)-a-round

    Sirs,

    It is true (or at least very like to be the case) - Symantec does not
    recognise computers, which do not have drive id "C:\" installed in them.

    Or how else one could explain the fact of this product not being able to
    install itself to a non C: hard disk, but after renaming a some less
    important partition as 'C:\' things get done. Smells like some temporary
    stuff here. I may be a bit too old for these things, but an educated guess
    might be a hard coded 'C:\' somewhere in the code?

    At least we may forgive this feature to Symantec due to their fair trials,
    if this is the case, but people do get carried away when they come across
    these cases in a hurry.

    Work(/d)-a-round: Make a new C:\ partition or give some other partition name
    'C'.

    Sincerely,

    Åke Tyvi

    Adult IT-Engineering Student

    "Åke Tyvi" <> kirjoitti
    viestissä:CRIld.203$...

    Åke Tyvi, Nov 14, 2004
  4. Åke Tyvi

    Leythos Guest

    Re: Work(/d)-a-round

    In article <dzOld.385$>,
    says...
    > It is true (or at least very like to be the case) - Symantec does not
    > recognise computers, which do not have drive id "C:\" installed in them.

    I have two computers that have only a E drive for their installed
    system, it's a single partition drive, letter is assigned as E, and
    Norton 2004 works fine on it.

    (Remove 999 to reply to me)
    Leythos, Nov 14, 2004
  5. Åke Tyvi

    Åke Tyvi Guest

    Re: Beats me sir,

    Beats me sir,

    I even tried to install the trial version of the software "Norton Internet
    Security 2005" from the web, and it HALTed during the installation the same
    way than the CD -version did. I managed to install it after I renamed my
    O-drive as C-drive.

    Beats me, but installation should not work this way. After the renaming
    operation I was able to install the software and now it work just fine.

    The box has got a label "10284455-IN/S10187Z NIS 2005 8.0 IN RET
    5397011079022 *S10187Z*" if it helps Symantec people tracing the possible
    cause of the era. HOWEVER, since the network version did not install either,
    I think the case is clear in this respect.

    With the error code given I am sure they will come across some answer. I did
    not had time to see, if this has already been reported as a bug in their
    database.

    Sincerely,

    Åke Tyvi

    Ps. The box is still here in case someone from Symantec wants to drop by?

    "Leythos" <> kirjoitti
    viestissä:...

    Åke Tyvi, Nov 14, 2004