    its silence on how well Windows Phone 7 is doing
    <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/hardware/wp7-and-the-f-word/10562>. The
    implication is clear...
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 1, 2010

  2. In message <>, Mutley wrote:

    > Didn't you predict that a few weeks ago??

    I was expecting Windows Phone 7 to get off to a credible start, then fall
    behind as Android continued to evolve faster. I wasn’t expecting it to be a
    flop from the get-go.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 2, 2010

  3. On Dec 3, 10:57 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, Mutley wrote:
    >
    > > Didn't you predict that a few weeks ago??

    > I was expecting Windows Phone 7 to get off to a credible start, then fall
    > behind as Android continued to evolve faster. I wasn’t expecting it to be a
    > flop from the get-go.

    its far too early to call Windows Phone 7 a flop or a failure...
    Nathan Mercer, Dec 4, 2010
  4. In message
    <>, Nathan
    Mercer wrote:

    > its far too early to call Windows Phone 7 a flop or a failure...

    The fact remains, though, that Microsoft has shown no hesitation in crowing
    about the millions of Kinect controllers it has sold in such a short time,
    while remaining completely silent on how Windows Phone 7 phones have been
    selling over a somewhat longer time.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 5, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Sweetpea Guest

    On Sat, 04 Dec 2010 15:49:41 -0800, Nathan Mercer wrote:

    > its far too early to call Windows Phone 7 a flop or a failure.

    Indeed. Massively disappointing sales performance so far. The great Micro
    $oft marketing and publicity machine hasn't finished trying to save it
    yet.

    Sweetpea, Dec 5, 2010
  6. In message <id94nl$284$>, I wrote:

    > I was expecting Windows Phone 7 to get off to a credible start, then
    > fall behind as Android continued to evolve faster. I wasn’t expecting
    > it to be a flop from the get-go.

    Well, I suppose you could say it got off to a semi-credible start
    <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-more-than-15-million-windows-phone-7s-sold-to-date/8259>.

    That’s about 36000 activations per day, versus the 300000 per day that
    Google is currently claiming for Android. So basically Microsoft’s share
    of the total smartphone market is in the single percentage figures.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 21, 2010
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    David Empson Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:

    > In message <id94nl$284$>, I wrote:
    >
    > > I was expecting Windows Phone 7 to get off to a credible start, then
    > > fall behind as Android continued to evolve faster. I wasn't expecting
    > > it to be a flop from the get-go.

    > Well, I suppose you could say it got off to a semi-credible start
    > <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/microsoft-more-than-15-million-windows-
    > phone-7s-sold-to-date/8259>.

    [Note for clarity, as the text in the URL is misleading: the claimed
    figure is 1.5 million sales in the first six weeks.]

    > That's about 36000 activations per day, versus the 300000 per day that
    > Google is currently claiming for Android. So basically Microsoft's share
    > of the total smartphone market is in the single percentage figures.

    As per the update to the article, Microsoft is pulling their usual trick
    of counting shipments to retailers or carriers as "sales".

    No information has been supplied about actual sales to end users (apart
    from MS's claim of 40000 sold on launch day), hence WP7 probably has an
    even smaller share of the smartphone market than "36000 per day".

    Won't be easy to tell until independent figures are provided.

    For comparison, Google's and Apple's "activiations" figures relate to
    devices being activated by end users, and Apple's quarterly unit sales
    figures are sales to end users.

    --
    David Empson
    David Empson, Dec 22, 2010
  8. In message <1jtwmhj.1vcllr1tm24pzN%>, David Empson
    wrote:

    > As per the update to the article, Microsoft is pulling their usual trick
    > of counting shipments to retailers or carriers as "sales".

    I was being generous. :)
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 22, 2010
  9. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    > In message<1jtwmhj.1vcllr1tm24pzN%>, David Empson
    > wrote:
    >
    >> As per the update to the article, Microsoft is pulling their usual trick
    >> of counting shipments to retailers or carriers as "sales".

    > I was being generous. :)

    What have you done with the real LDO ?
    victor, Dec 22, 2010