    Thunderbird which has been probably a couple of years now I have not had
    any similar message. Does Thunderbird not have this function or is it
    just that my news server really has had no new newsgroups in that time?

    fatsteve, Jan 20, 2009

  2. fatsteve wrote:
    > I've been wondering about this for a while. I used to use Outlook
    > Express and every now and then I'd get a message saying there are new
    > newsgroups on the server would you like to view them, pressing ok would
    > pop up a list of new newsgroups on the server. Since I've been using
    > Thunderbird which has been probably a couple of years now I have not had
    > any similar message. Does Thunderbird not have this function or is it
    > just that my news server really has had no new newsgroups in that time?

    I've never heard of anything like that, so no, TB
    doesn't do that. If you want to see whats there, then
    click on File, Subscribe, and hit the refresh button.

    help!!!!

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jan 20, 2009

  3. fatsteve

    fatsteve Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    > fatsteve wrote:
    >> I've been wondering about this for a while. I used to use Outlook
    >> Express and every now and then I'd get a message saying there are new
    >> newsgroups on the server would you like to view them, pressing ok
    >> would pop up a list of new newsgroups on the server. Since I've been
    >> using Thunderbird which has been probably a couple of years now I have
    >> not had any similar message. Does Thunderbird not have this function
    >> or is it just that my news server really has had no new newsgroups in
    >> that time?

    > I've never heard of anything like that, so no, TB doesn't do that. If
    > you want to see whats there, then click on File, Subscribe, and hit the
    > refresh button.

    Yeah that just refreshes the list without any information on which if
    any groups are new. That's ok though as it's not really important, I've
    just been wondering about it that's all.

    fatsteve, Jan 20, 2009
  4. fatsteve

    Justin Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote on [Mon, 19 Jan 2009 23:15:10 -0800]:
    > fatsteve wrote:
    >> I've been wondering about this for a while. I used to use Outlook
    >> Express and every now and then I'd get a message saying there are new
    >> newsgroups on the server would you like to view them, pressing ok would
    >> pop up a list of new newsgroups on the server. Since I've been using
    >> Thunderbird which has been probably a couple of years now I have not had
    >> any similar message. Does Thunderbird not have this function or is it
    >> just that my news server really has had no new newsgroups in that time?

    > I've never heard of anything like that, so no, TB
    > doesn't do that. If you want to see whats there, then
    > click on File, Subscribe, and hit the refresh button.

    Really, TB doesn't tell you what new groups there are?

    Justin, Jan 20, 2009
  5. Justin wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote on [Mon, 19 Jan 2009 23:15:10 -0800]:
    >> fatsteve wrote:
    >>> I've been wondering about this for a while. I used to use Outlook
    >>> Express and every now and then I'd get a message saying there are new
    >>> newsgroups on the server would you like to view them, pressing ok would
    >>> pop up a list of new newsgroups on the server. Since I've been using
    >>> Thunderbird which has been probably a couple of years now I have not had
    >>> any similar message. Does Thunderbird not have this function or is it
    >>> just that my news server really has had no new newsgroups in that time?

    >> I've never heard of anything like that, so no, TB
    >> doesn't do that. If you want to see whats there, then
    >> click on File, Subscribe, and hit the refresh button.

    > Really, TB doesn't tell you what new groups there are?

    does yours?

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jan 20, 2009
  6. fatsteve

    Justin Guest

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote on [Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:47:44 -0800]:
    > Justin wrote:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote on [Mon, 19 Jan 2009 23:15:10 -0800]:
    >>> I've never heard of anything like that, so no, TB
    >>> doesn't do that. If you want to see whats there, then
    >>> click on File, Subscribe, and hit the refresh button.

    >> Really, TB doesn't tell you what new groups there are?

    > does yours?

    My newsreader? Yes. But it's not Thunderbird. It's SLRN.

    Every other read I have used notified me though.

    Justin, Jan 20, 2009
  7. Justin wrote:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote on [Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:47:44 -0800]:
    >> Justin wrote:
    >>> Really, TB doesn't tell you what new groups there are?

    >> does yours?

    > My newsreader? Yes. But it's not Thunderbird. It's SLRN.
    >
    > Every other read I have used notified me though.

    well, TB isn't every other reader

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Jan 20, 2009
  8. fatsteve

    Justin Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote on [Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:34:24 -0500]:
    > Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
    >> Justin wrote:
    >>> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote on [Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:47:44
    >>> -0800]:
    >>>
    >>> My newsreader? Yes. But it's not Thunderbird. It's SLRN.
    >>>
    >>> Every other read I have used notified me though.

    >> well, TB isn't every other reader
    >>

    > And it is lacking in this respect.
    >
    > It's a comparative database function. Not all that difficult. And, the
    > much maligned Outlook Express, on whose shortcoming TB has based its
    > ascendancy, has it.

    It's not even that. There's a command in the NNTP specification called
    NEWGROUPS and it accepts a date as an argument. So the server will tell
    you the new groups since whatever date.

    Justin, Jan 21, 2009
  9. fatsteve

    Sven Svenson Guest

    Justin skrev:
    > Ed Mullen wrote on [Tue, 20 Jan 2009 19:34:24 -0500]:
    >> Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

    >>> well, TB isn't every other reader
    >>>

    >> And it is lacking in this respect.
    >>
    >> It's a comparative database function. Not all that difficult. And, the
    >> much maligned Outlook Express, on whose shortcoming TB has based its
    >> ascendancy, has it.

    > It's not even that. There's a command in the NNTP specification called
    > NEWGROUPS and it accepts a date as an argument. So the server will tell
    > you the new groups since whatever date.

    Very few servers implement that command due to to much stree on the
    server. In OE it might work for some servers and not for others.

    Sven Svenson, Jan 21, 2009