    recourse at the moment. TIA for your input.
    J.R.
    , Aug 21, 2007

  2. meerkat Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi to all. I need some help .Win98 SE,OE 6. My ISP is Earthlink. For
    > almost 2 weeks haven't got any new messages on my newsgroups. Support
    > is lousy.
    > I thought maybe changing to a new newsreader (Forte?) might do the
    > trick. But the fact is that my ISP is the same!
    > Is my train of thought a valid one? Or trying a newsreader different
    > than OE 6 will be the solution? Reading the N/G's on Google is my only
    > recourse at the moment. TIA for your input.
    > J.R.

    Go here, and pick what fits for you J.
    http://www.dslreports.com/faq/earthlink/90_Troubleshooting
    meerkat, Aug 21, 2007

  3. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > Win98 SE,OE 6. My ISP is Earthlink. For
    > almost 2 weeks haven't got any new messages on my newsgroups. Support
    > is lousy.

    o earthlink news is undergoing changes
    o be specific about what you are doing and want
    o get an alternative newsserver for troubleshooting

    You are currently posting to a usenet group from a EL mindspring IP. EL
    has recently contracted with supernews to provide newsservice to its
    clients. The old newsserver news.earthlink.net is still working for
    some people but not others who can't authenticate on it. The old names
    news.east.earthink.net and news.west.earthlink.net as well as new names
    nntp.earthlink.net and demonews.mindspring.com and
    earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net all access the same supernews server.

    This changing of the handling of the names is causing a lot of people
    trouble, because it causes them to have to know how to reset headers or
    newsgroup lists. In addition, there is another problem of the supernews
    server being both more 'administered' and so it is in better shape about
    carrying those groups which it carries, but it doesn't carry some
    'rogue' newsgroups which were carried on the old EL server because the
    rogue groups have been deprecated.

    > I thought maybe changing to a new newsreader (Forte?) might do the
    > trick. But the fact is that my ISP is the same!

    You are spending words saying 'my isp is the same' and 'my newsgroups'
    which you should have been naming what newsserver you are trying to use
    and what newsgroups you are trying to access.

    Be specific about what you are doing and trying to do, because that will
    get you more information.

    > Is my train of thought a valid one?

    We/I'm not interested in your 'train of thought'. If you will state
    what newsserver you are accessing and what newsgroups you want, I'll
    tell you how to do it.

    And another thing -- you should have some alternate newsserver besides
    the one your provider gives you so that you can troubleshoot news
    problems better and so that you don't have to use googlegroups.

    > Or trying a newsreader different
    > than OE 6 will be the solution?

    You can get your newsgroups with OE or Agent either one.

    > Reading the N/G's on Google is my only
    > recourse at the moment.

    That's only because you haven't set up another different account on a
    free or economical alternative newsserver yet.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 21, 2007
  4. Guest

    On Aug 21, 4:11 pm, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > wrote:

    > > Win98 SE,OE 6. My ISP is Earthlink. For
    > > almost 2 weeks haven't got any new messages on my newsgroups. Support
    > > is lousy.

    > o earthlink news is undergoing changes
    > o be specific about what you are doing and want
    > o get an alternative newsserver for troubleshooting
    >
    > You are currently posting to a usenet group from a EL mindspring IP. EL
    > has recently contracted with supernews to provide newsservice to its
    > clients. The old newsserver news.earthlink.net is still working for
    > some people but not others who can't authenticate on it. The old names
    > news.east.earthink.net and news.west.earthlink.net as well as new names
    > nntp.earthlink.net and demonews.mindspring.com and
    > earthlink.vsrv-sjc.supernews.net all access the same supernews server.
    >
    > This changing of the handling of the names is causing a lot of people
    > trouble, because it causes them to have to know how to reset headers or
    > newsgroup lists. In addition, there is another problem of the supernews
    > server being both more 'administered' and so it is in better shape about
    > carrying those groups which it carries, but it doesn't carry some
    > 'rogue' newsgroups which were carried on the old EL server because the
    > rogue groups have been deprecated.
    >
    > > I thought maybe changing to a new newsreader (Forte?) might do the
    > > trick. But the fact is that my ISP is the same!

    > You are spending words saying 'my isp is the same' and 'my newsgroups'
    > which you should have been naming what newsserver you are trying to use
    > and what newsgroups you are trying to access.
    >
    > Be specific about what you are doing and trying to do, because that will
    > get you more information.
    >
    > > Is my train of thought a valid one?

    > We/I'm not interested in your 'train of thought'. If you will state
    > what newsserver you are accessing and what newsgroups you want, I'll
    > tell you how to do it.
    >
    > And another thing -- you should have some alternate newsserver besides
    > the one your provider gives you so that you can troubleshoot news
    > problems better and so that you don't have to use googlegroups.
    >
    > > Or trying a newsreader different
    > > than OE 6 will be the solution?

    > You can get your newsgroups with OE or Agent either one.
    >
    > > Reading the N/G's on Google is my only
    > > recourse at the moment.

    > That's only because you haven't set up another different account on a
    > free or economical alternative newsserver yet.
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    Thank you Mike for your reply. I can see that you don't have much
    patience for people like me that are not well versed about computers.
    That's O.K.., is understandable. The problem is that now I feel in
    even deeper water since I can decipher about only fifty per cent of
    what you are saying. Again, thanks any way
    J.R.
    , Aug 21, 2007
  5. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:

    > I can see that you don't have much
    > patience for people like me that are not well versed about computers.

    Are you versed enough to grok that you can use the newsserver
    nntp.earthlink.net?

    Are you versed well enough to name one newsgroup which you can't access?

    ..... where 'grok' is a technical term meaning 'to understand' -- except
    that it means a lot more^1

    ^1 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok - a verb that connotes an
    internalized way of knowing

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 21, 2007
  6. Guest

    On Aug 21, 5:29 pm, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I can see that you don't have much
    > > patience for people like me that are not well versed about computers.

    > Are you versed enough to grok that you can use the newsserver
    > nntp.earthlink.net?
    > Yep, tried that before a posted my question. And..no, it didn't work. That's why I did post the question!

    Are you versed well enough to name one newsgroup which you can't
    access?
    You obviously did not comprehend my posting. I did not say I can't
    access any N/G. I said my newsgroups (ALL OF THEM) do not download any
    new messages. The last messages are from 8-12-07

    > .... where 'grok' is a technical term meaning 'to understand' -- except
    > that it means a lot more^1

    I gather that much..
    Eh..., Mike? Thanks anyway. At least you try to help ( In a weird sort
    of way tho'...)
    J.R.
    > ^1http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grok- a verb that connotes an
    > internalized way of knowing
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter
    , Aug 21, 2007
  7. Mike Easter Guest

    wrote:
    >"Mike Easter"
    >> Are you versed enough to grok that you can use the newsserver
    >> nntp.earthlink.net?

    >> Yep, tried that before a posted my question. And..no, it didn't
    >> work. That's why I did post the question!

    Notice that nntp.earthlink.net is not the same as news.earthlink.net --
    that is very very important. You seemed to be a little confused when I
    named some newsservers earlier.

    Now, regarding your nntp.earthlink.net account, select a newsgroup, let
    us say this one, in the L pane or 'folder' view and R click it or use
    File/ Properties/ Local file/ Reset button.

    That will delete all headers and message bodies and will reset the
    folder so that headers will be re-downloaded.

    As a result of that action, the R pane view of the newsgroup so reset
    will be empty and not show any messages. Then you use the function
    Tools/ Get next xxx headers to re-download the headers for the group in
    question.

    > Are you versed well enough to name one newsgroup which you can't
    > access?

    > You obviously did not comprehend my posting. I did not say I can't
    > access any N/G. I said my newsgroups (ALL OF THEM) do not download any
    > new messages. The last messages are from 8-12-07

    Your precise words were "For almost 2 weeks haven't got any new messages
    on my newsgroups."

    .... and I am diligently trying to make sure that you aren't trying to
    get new messages from some newsgroup which the supernews server doesn't
    carry but the EL server did and one way I would be able to tell that
    would be if you would *SIMPLY* name one group that you are having your
    trouble with. It doesn't do anything for you to tell me all of them or
    one of them or two of them or three of them.

    Don't you get it, or is this too technical? What is one group. Name
    it. And do to it what I described above.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 22, 2007
  8. Mike Easter wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Win98 SE,OE 6. My ISP is Earthlink. For
    >> almost 2 weeks haven't got any new messages on my newsgroups. Support
    >> is lousy.

    > o earthlink news is undergoing changes

    Still?!

    --
    Blinky RLU 297263
    Killing all posts from Google Groups
    Blinky the Shark, Aug 22, 2007
  9. Mike Easter wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> I can see that you don't have much
    >> patience for people like me that are not well versed about computers.

    > Are you versed enough to grok that you can use the newsserver
    > nntp.earthlink.net?
    >
    > Are you versed well enough to name one newsgroup which you can't access?

    Remember where he's posting from, Mike.

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 22, 2007
  10. Mike Easter Guest

    Blinky the Shark wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Win98 SE,OE 6. My ISP is Earthlink. For
    >>> almost 2 weeks haven't got any new messages on my newsgroups.
    >>> Support is lousy.

    >> o earthlink news is undergoing changes

    > Still?!

    The supernews servers are operational. The old EL server is 'something'
    and is theoretically still operational but I can't access it because it
    won't authenticate, but apparently some people can.

    As result, when people cry about problems in the EL support groups, you
    don't know which server they are complaining about because 'announcing'
    the newsserver's name they are having trouble with doesn't occur to
    them.

    Just like this person. He never actually said the name of the
    newsserver.

    Over the years EL clients have been instructed various names to use for
    the EL server -- but as of today the 3 different names they've been told
    don't all access the same place until the end of the month.

    The EL support pages for news are not published or accurate or uptodate
    and EL doesn't recognize/acknowledge that it provides news in any
    promotion pages. There are no EL news support people accessible and the
    EL tech people who are accessible don't know what a newsserver is and if
    problems are reported to them they give a cookbook answer which is a
    lie.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 22, 2007
  11. Mike Easter wrote:

    > The supernews servers are operational. The old EL server is 'something'
    > and is theoretically still operational but I can't access it because it
    > won't authenticate, but apparently some people can.
    >
    > As result, when people cry about problems in the EL support groups, you
    > don't know which server they are complaining about because 'announcing'
    > the newsserver's name they are having trouble with doesn't occur to
    > them.
    >
    > Just like this person. He never actually said the name of the
    > newsserver.
    >
    > Over the years EL clients have been instructed various names to use for
    > the EL server -- but as of today the 3 different names they've been told
    > don't all access the same place until the end of the month.
    >
    > The EL support pages for news are not published or accurate or uptodate
    > and EL doesn't recognize/acknowledge that it provides news in any
    > promotion pages. There are no EL news support people accessible and the
    > EL tech people who are accessible don't know what a newsserver is and if
    > problems are reported to them they give a cookbook answer which is a
    > lie.

    Other than...er...that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play? ;)

    Blinky the Shark, Aug 22, 2007
  12. isthisane Guest

    I have Earthlink as my ISP and use Outlook Express for newsgroups. Several
    weeks ago I had the same problem. I found that unsubscribing then
    "re"-subscribing each newsgroup solved the problem. Tedious but effective.

    isthisane, Aug 22, 2007