No network connection wireless share files and printers

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by =?Utf-8?B?WGF2?=, Oct 27, 2006.

  1. Hi
    this thing is driving me crasy !!

    I have a desktop with XP home dated 2002
    I have a netgear DG834G wireless router
    I have a laptop with XP Pro dated 2006
    I have connected my desktop to the wireless netgear router.
    I would like to have access to my printer HP 720C connected to the desktop
    via my laptop.
    I would like also to have access to files stored on my desktop via my laptop.

    What I have done so far:
    I have shared my printer. I have a little hand under the HP Icon
    I have transfered my files to shared documents folder
    I have disabled windows firewall
    I have also listed the IP address of my laptop and desktop in the norton
    firewall trusted zone area
    I have tried to ping both computers successfully
    I have named both computers with the same workgroup name.

    When I select my network places, then view workgroup computer on the
    desktop, I can see the desktop icon. When I do the same on the laptop I have
    got nothing.

    So after doing all the things above I don't know what else to do

    Please help

    Thank you in advance
    =?Utf-8?B?WGF2?=, Oct 27, 2006

  2. =?Utf-8?B?WGF2?=

    David Hettel Guest

    You might want to work through this page: http://winhlp.com/wxnet.htm and
    you might take a look here, http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html

    --
    David Hettel

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    confers no rights

    David Hettel, Oct 27, 2006

  3. Hi David

    I had a look at both links provided.
    I used them but could not find answers to my problem. The problem of
    connectivity is still there.
    Any more help possible?
    Thank you
    best Regards

    =?Utf-8?B?WGF2?=, Oct 29, 2006
  4. =?Utf-8?B?WGF2?=

    Malke Guest

    Xav wrote:

    > Hi
    > this thing is driving me crasy !!
    >
    > I have a desktop with XP home dated 2002
    > I have a netgear DG834G wireless router
    > I have a laptop with XP Pro dated 2006
    > I have connected my desktop to the wireless netgear router.
    > I would like to have access to my printer HP 720C connected to the
    > desktop via my laptop.
    > I would like also to have access to files stored on my desktop via my
    > laptop.
    >
    > What I have done so far:
    > I have shared my printer. I have a little hand under the HP Icon
    > I have transfered my files to shared documents folder
    > I have disabled windows firewall
    > I have also listed the IP address of my laptop and desktop in the
    > norton firewall trusted zone area
    > I have tried to ping both computers successfully
    > I have named both computers with the same workgroup name.
    >
    > When I select my network places, then view workgroup computer on the
    > desktop, I can see the desktop icon. When I do the same on the laptop
    > I have got nothing.

    If one or more of the computers is XP Pro or Media Center:

    accounts/passwords on all computers.

    b. If you don't care about using Pro's advanced features, leave the
    Simple File Sharing enabled.

    resources. This is a security hole but only you can decide if it
    matters in your situation.

    Shared Documents folder.

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com
    Malke, Oct 29, 2006
  5. You got some good general directions.

    I would temporarily "disable" Norton's just to see if its a misconfiguration
    there may cause the firewall to block something. There were some issues when
    I had to configure Nortons

    Then I go to Network places to see if I can ""add a Network place" using
    browse.

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJhbmtDaGlu?=, Oct 29, 2006