    Want to tell the world where you are??
    Add yourself to either the nz.comp http://www.frappr.com/nzcompusenetgroup
    or nz linux http://www.frappr.com/nzlinux Frappr maps.
    CyiPherX, Nov 27, 2005

  2. CyiPherX

    CyiPherX Guest

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:25:18 +1300, CyiPherX wrote:

    > Users of windows based sygate products will need to find another firewall
    > product if they wish to stay up to date, since symantec will no longer be
    > offering or supporting any sygate products.
    >
    > That along with "Kerio" being discontinued , narrows down the field of
    > free windows based firewalls.
    >
    > http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/symantec_to_dit.html
    >
    > CyiPherX

    "Firewall" products that is!!

    CyiPherX, Nov 27, 2005

  3. CyiPherX

    Dave Taylor Guest

    CyiPherX <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:25:18 +1300, CyiPherX wrote:
    >
    >> Users of windows based sygate products will need to find another
    >> firewall product if they wish to stay up to date, since symantec will
    >> no longer be offering or supporting any sygate products.
    >>
    >> That along with "Kerio" being discontinued , narrows down the field
    >> of free windows based firewalls.
    >>
    >> http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/symantec_to_dit.ht
    >> ml
    >>
    >> CyiPherX

    > "Firewall" products that is!!

    That's ok. There are lots of alternatives now. Fred Langa put together
    a list and there is discussion at GRC.com on this as well.

    --
    Ciao, Dave
    Dave Taylor, Nov 27, 2005
  4. CyiPherX

    XP Guest

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 15:25:18 +1300, CyiPherX <> wrote:

    >Users of windows based sygate products will need to find another firewall
    >product if they wish to stay up to date, since symantec will no longer be
    >offering or supporting any sygate products.
    >
    >That along with "Kerio" being discontinued , narrows down the field of
    >free windows based firewalls.
    >
    >http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/symantec_to_dit.html
    >
    >CyiPherX

    Outpost has a Free one

    Agnitum

    http://www.agnitum.com/about/
    XP, Nov 27, 2005
  5. CyiPherX

    Fran Guest

    CyiPherX wrote:

    > Users of windows based sygate products will need to find another firewall
    > product if they wish to stay up to date, since symantec will no longer be
    > offering or supporting any sygate products.
    >
    > That along with "Kerio" being discontinued , narrows down the field of
    > free windows based firewalls.
    >
    > http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/symantec_to_dit.html
    >
    > CyiPherX

    "Kerio ServerFirewall will be discontinued as of September 30, 2005.
    Technical support and security updates will be provided to all customers
    with valid or expired licenses until September 30, 2006."

    Just their ServerFirewall product and not the PersonalFirewall?

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Nov 27, 2005
  6. In article <>, says...

    > "Kerio ServerFirewall will be discontinued as of September 30, 2005.
    > Technical support and security updates will be provided to all customers
    > with valid or expired licenses until September 30, 2006."
    >
    > Just their ServerFirewall product and not the PersonalFirewall?
    >
    > Fran

    The personal firewall too. It's in the Washington Post article that the O.P.
    referred to.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 27, 2005
  7. In article <>,
    says...

    > Users of windows based sygate products will need to find another firewall
    > product if they wish to stay up to date, since symantec will no longer be
    > offering or supporting any sygate products.

    Yeah, that was clear from the moment the Sygate boss posted an announcement on
    Sygate's website that they had sold out to Symantek.

    I must say I feel a certain amount of hostility towards companies that buy up
    the competition only to close them down. It smacks of trying to have the
    consumer over a barrel. (i.e. trying to establish a monopoly). I certainly
    won't buy or install Norton/Symantek firewall, I already dumped their firewall
    earlier this year even though I still have a licence for another 9 months or
    so, and I think I will seek out alternative products for the rest of their
    range as well. The company is not what they used to be a few years ago, their
    products are getting worse and that's probably why they start to resort to such
    'underarm' tactics. >:-(

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 27, 2005
  8. CyiPherX

    GraB Guest

    On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 19:51:16 +1300, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >In article <>,
    >says...
    >>
    >> Users of windows based sygate products will need to find another firewall
    >> product if they wish to stay up to date, since symantec will no longer be
    >> offering or supporting any sygate products.
    >>

    >Yeah, that was clear from the moment the Sygate boss posted an announcement on
    >Sygate's website that they had sold out to Symantek.
    >
    >I must say I feel a certain amount of hostility towards companies that buy up
    >the competition only to close them down. It smacks of trying to have the
    >consumer over a barrel. (i.e. trying to establish a monopoly). I certainly
    >won't buy or install Norton/Symantek firewall, I already dumped their firewall
    >earlier this year even though I still have a licence for another 9 months or
    >so, and I think I will seek out alternative products for the rest of their
    >range as well. The company is not what they used to be a few years ago, their
    >products are getting worse and that's probably why they start to resort to such
    >'underarm' tactics. >:-(
    >
    >-P.

    They're turning into Microsoft.
    GraB, Nov 27, 2005
  9. CyiPherX

    PAM. Guest

    "CyiPherX" <> wrote in message
    > Users of windows based sygate products will need to find another firewall
    > product if they wish to stay up to date, since symantec will no longer be
    > offering or supporting any sygate products.

    > http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/symantec_to_dit.html

    Lucky I've got
    1. A hardware firewall
    2. Linux machine :)

    At least the H/w firewall will keep my partners PC safe...ish, and it's
    alway good to see what the competition are doing

    PAM.
    PAM., Nov 27, 2005
  10. CyiPherX

    Fran Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:

    > In article <>,
    > says...
    >>
    >> "Kerio ServerFirewall will be discontinued as of September 30, 2005.
    >> Technical support and security updates will be provided to all customers
    >> with valid or expired licenses until September 30, 2006."
    >>
    >> Just their ServerFirewall product and not the PersonalFirewall?
    >>
    >> Fran

    > The personal firewall too. It's in the Washington Post article that the
    > O.P. referred to.
    >
    > -P.

    Ah yes.
    The ServerFirewall quote is from Kerio's front page but the Personal
    Firewall quote is from it's own page.

    "Kerio Personal Firewall is being discontinued on December 31, 2005. While
    Kerio will continue to support this product for all customers through 2006,
    we will not be actively developing any new features or functionality going
    forward."

    Fran
    :):):)
    Fran, Nov 27, 2005
  11. CyiPherX

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:29:33 +1300, "PAM." <> wrote:

    >"CyiPherX" <> wrote in message
    >> Users of windows based sygate products will need to find another firewall
    >> product if they wish to stay up to date, since symantec will no longer be
    >> offering or supporting any sygate products.

    >> http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/symantec_to_dit.html

    >Lucky I've got
    >1. A hardware firewall
    >2. Linux machine :)
    >
    >At least the H/w firewall will keep my partners PC safe...ish, and it's
    >alway good to see what the competition are doing

    How does a hardware firewall stop data going out? Or does it not?
    Craig Shore, Nov 27, 2005
  12. CyiPherX

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:09:15 +1300, Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:29:33 +1300, "PAM." <> wrote:
    >
    >>"CyiPherX" <> wrote in message
    >>> Users of windows based sygate products will need to find another firewall
    >>> product if they wish to stay up to date, since symantec will no longer be
    >>> offering or supporting any sygate products.

    >>> http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/symantec_to_dit.html

    >>Lucky I've got
    >>1. A hardware firewall
    >>2. Linux machine :)
    >>
    >>At least the H/w firewall will keep my partners PC safe...ish, and it's
    >>alway good to see what the competition are doing

    > How does a hardware firewall stop data going out? Or does it not?

    Internal Interfaces are treated the same as external interfaces, you
    create rules to allow or disallow traffic in either direction.
    Most people however are of the lazy slant, and create default allow
    outbound type rules
    I dont know off the top of my head the syntax for these rules in iptables,
    but its easy enough with PF (frantically waving the OpenBSD flag)

    --
    I/O, I/O,
    It's off to disk I go,
    Shane, Nov 27, 2005
  13. CyiPherX

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:37:41 +1300, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    wrote:

    >On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:09:15 +1300, Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 08:29:33 +1300, "PAM." <> wrote:
    >>>At least the H/w firewall will keep my partners PC safe...ish, and it's
    >>>alway good to see what the competition are doing

    >> How does a hardware firewall stop data going out? Or does it not?

    >Internal Interfaces are treated the same as external interfaces, you
    >create rules to allow or disallow traffic in either direction.
    >Most people however are of the lazy slant, and create default allow
    >outbound type rules
    >I dont know off the top of my head the syntax for these rules in iptables,
    >but its easy enough with PF (frantically waving the OpenBSD flag)

    What is is based on, IP and port, or something deeper? If so what's
    to stop a prog using the http port to send something out?

    One good thing with software based firewalls on the machine is they
    detect if an app has been hijacked by another one to access the net
    for it.
    Craig Shore, Nov 28, 2005
  14. CyiPherX

    shannon Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:37:41 +1300, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    > wrote:

    >>> How does a hardware firewall stop data going out? Or does it not?

    >> Internal Interfaces are treated the same as external interfaces, you
    >> create rules to allow or disallow traffic in either direction.
    >> Most people however are of the lazy slant, and create default allow
    >> outbound type rules
    >> I dont know off the top of my head the syntax for these rules in iptables,
    >> but its easy enough with PF (frantically waving the OpenBSD flag)

    > What is is based on, IP and port, or something deeper? If so what's
    > to stop a prog using the http port to send something out?
    >
    > One good thing with software based firewalls on the machine is they
    > detect if an app has been hijacked by another one to access the net
    > for it.

    Can they detect if the firewall software has been hijacked ?
    shannon, Nov 28, 2005
  15. CyiPherX

    Shane Guest

    On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:28:08 +1300, Craig Shore wrote:

    > On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:37:41 +1300, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    > wrote:

    >>> How does a hardware firewall stop data going out? Or does it not?

    >>Internal Interfaces are treated the same as external interfaces, you
    >>create rules to allow or disallow traffic in either direction.
    >>Most people however are of the lazy slant, and create default allow
    >>outbound type rules
    >>I dont know off the top of my head the syntax for these rules in iptables,
    >>but its easy enough with PF (frantically waving the OpenBSD flag)

    > What is is based on, IP and port, or something deeper? If so what's
    > to stop a prog using the http port to send something out?
    >
    > One good thing with software based firewalls on the machine is they
    > detect if an app has been hijacked by another one to access the net
    > for it.

    You can block and allow incoming and outgoing remote ips/subnets
    You can log all traffic, or just the syn packets
    Im pretty sure you can interrogate the packets further (said whilst
    frantically searching the man pages)
    Although I have to say the scenario you write about has been an issue for
    some time (app writers good and evil started using port 80 for their apps
    to guarantee intarweb access)
    Nope.. cant find what I thought I was looking for.
    I'd say it be nigh impossible to tell the process on a lan machine that is
    sending out packets (from the firewall machine)

    Unless theres a signature in a packet or stream of packets that would make
    it obvious that (for example) http data is or isnt going through that port
    In which case the firewall would need to cache the packets until there
    relative safety was determined, which would _really_ slow things down,
    especially as all kinds of data goes in and out of 80 (text, binary pics,
    ssl obfuscated text, etc etc)

    Id say your software firewall is only watching processes though, looking
    for any that request winsock.dll or socket access of any kind (must be
    some c call)
    Id hazard a guess that those can be faked/spoofed which would invalidate
    both hw and sw firewalls
    :)

    Shane, Nov 28, 2005
  16. In article <-a-geek.net>,
    -a-geek.net says...
    > On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:28:08 +1300, Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    > > On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 09:37:41 +1300, Shane <-a-geek.net>
    > > wrote:

    > >>Internal Interfaces are treated the same as external interfaces, you
    > >>create rules to allow or disallow traffic in either direction.
    > >>Most people however are of the lazy slant, and create default allow
    > >>outbound type rules
    > >>I dont know off the top of my head the syntax for these rules in iptables,
    > >>but its easy enough with PF (frantically waving the OpenBSD flag)

    > > What is is based on, IP and port, or something deeper? If so what's
    > > to stop a prog using the http port to send something out?
    > >
    > > One good thing with software based firewalls on the machine is they
    > > detect if an app has been hijacked by another one to access the net
    > > for it.

    > You can block and allow incoming and outgoing remote ips/subnets
    > You can log all traffic, or just the syn packets
    > Im pretty sure you can interrogate the packets further (said whilst
    > frantically searching the man pages)
    > Although I have to say the scenario you write about has been an issue for
    > some time (app writers good and evil started using port 80 for their apps
    > to guarantee intarweb access)
    > Nope.. cant find what I thought I was looking for.
    > I'd say it be nigh impossible to tell the process on a lan machine that is
    > sending out packets (from the firewall machine)
    >

    > Unless theres a signature in a packet or stream of packets that would make
    > it obvious that (for example) http data is or isnt going through that port
    > In which case the firewall would need to cache the packets until there
    > relative safety was determined, which would _really_ slow things down,
    > especially as all kinds of data goes in and out of 80 (text, binary pics,
    > ssl obfuscated text, etc etc)
    >
    > Id say your software firewall is only watching processes though, looking
    > for any that request winsock.dll or socket access of any kind (must be
    > some c call)
    > Id hazard a guess that those can be faked/spoofed which would invalidate
    > both hw and sw firewalls
    > :)

    Well, with Sygate pro at the moment I can define advanced rules, that get
    processed in sequence --

    rule 1 allow mozilla on port 80 out
    rule 2 allow opera on port 80 out
    rule 3 allow proxomitron on port 80 out
    rule 4 block port 80 in and out

    would pretty much intercept any other app or virus/trojan/what have you from
    calling home, even on por 80. I am, frankly, none too sure how I would
    implement that on my hardware firewall (3com) especially since it serves 3
    machines . It can not keep and maintain checksums on all apps on all machines
    on the lan, can only set up rules on a port by port basis ... even when I was
    on satellite and routing all traffic through my machine I could only keep tabs
    on local apps, requests that came in from the IPs with permission via NIC were
    forwarded regardless of application.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Nov 28, 2005
  17. CyiPherX

    steve Guest

    CyiPherX wrote:

    > Users of windows based sygate products will need to find another firewall
    > product if they wish to stay up to date, since symantec will no longer be
    > offering or supporting any sygate products.
    >
    > That along with "Kerio" being discontinued , narrows down the field of
    > free windows based firewalls.
    >
    > http://blogs.washingtonpost.com/securityfix/2005/11/symantec_to_dit.html
    >
    > CyiPherX

    Linux