    with the need for a Northbridge chip
    <http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/09/intel-launches-all-new-pc-architecture-with-core-i5i7-cpus.ars>.

    Seems to have problems with Windows 7, though...

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Sep 10, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Nik Coughlin Guest

    news:h89p84$rib$...
    > Intel's Core i5/i7 CPUs directly control RAM and graphics cards, doing
    > away
    > with the need for a Northbridge chip
    > <http://arstechnica.com/hardware/news/2009/09/intel-launches-all-new-pc-architecture-with-core-i5i7-cpus.ars>.
    >
    > Seems to have problems with Windows 7, though...

    Did you read the original article?

    http://techreport.com/articles.x/17545/6

    It doesn't even mention Windows 7 except in one place, and not the part of
    the article that the Ars Technica article refers to either, although it is
    on the same page. Ars Technica seems to be as confused as you are.

    The "problem" that the original article does mention with Windows 7 isn't
    even a problem with the i5/i7; it's that their benchmarks showed that some
    of the *dual* core systems that they benchmarked alongside the i5/i7 (the
    Core 2 Duo E8600 and the Phenom II X2 550) are being outperformed by *quad*
    core systems with lower clock speeds.

    "We are using newer versions of both of these games, which could have better
    threading optimizations. I kind of doubt that's it, though. My stronger
    suspicions involve Windows 7 and the switch to Nvidia GPUs and graphics
    drivers. Somewhere along the line, something has changed that's tipped the
    balance in the favor of higher core counts."

    The part of the article that Ars Technica was referring to only says that
    under high GPU load the i5 and i7 processors didn't perform as well as the
    other quad cores (fps in the mid 50s compared to mid 60s) and then goes on
    to say "I'm not sure what the story is here-could be some sort of platform
    optimization issue."

    Nik Coughlin, Sep 10, 2009