    <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2365>.

    I know, you're going to stick with your obsolete, unsupported systems come
    hell or high water. Do you trust Microsoft or don't you?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 26, 2009

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Woger Guest

    On Thu, 26 Mar 2009 14:07:34 +1300, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    <_zealand> wrote:

    >... after 14 April, which is less than 4 weeks away
    ><http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2365>.
    >
    >I know, you're going to stick with your obsolete, unsupported systems come
    >hell or high water. Do you trust Microsoft or don't you?

    I did not think that the Internet was closing down..?

    Funny that Lunix gets no support at all.

    Woger, Mar 26, 2009

  3. In message <>, Woger wrote:

    > Funny that [Linux] gets no support at all.

    My clients get their Linux support from me--that's what they pay me for.

    Example: when we upgraded the main server for one customer to a new version
    of the OS, and we discovered that the IMAP server would no longer allow
    plain-text passwords over an unencrypted connection. Yes, from a security
    viewpoint this restriction was good, but we still had users running old
    client software that wouldn't work properly over SSL/TLS connections.
    Naturally I came up with the necessary interim fix.

    How would you handle an upgrade to a new version of some Microsoft product
    that no longer let you do something you were accustomed to doing? Your only
    answer would be: postpone the upgrade altogether.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 26, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    message news:gqf9n8$6qo$...

    > No More Free XP Support

    > My clients get their Linux support from me--that's what they pay me
    > for.

    So No More Free Linux Support for your customers then?

    My unmunged email is: (valid for 30 days
    min). The following is a probably unique, meaningless string you can
    use to find my posts in search engines: ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb

    Alan, Mar 27, 2009
  5. In message <>, Peter Huebner
    wrote:

    > In article <gqekgn$q0d$>, ldo@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand says...
    >>
    >> ... after 14 April, which is less than 4 weeks away
    >> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2365>.
    >>
    >> I know, you're going to stick with your obsolete, unsupported systems
    >> come hell or high water. Do you trust Microsoft or don't you?

    > Frankly, who gives a flying ****?

    Spoken like a true First Frog
    <http://groups.google.co.nz/group/comp.os.linux.advocacy/msg/acad0918273fc13d>.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 27, 2009
  6. In article <gqekgn$q0d$>, ldo@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand says...
    > ... after 14 April, which is less than 4 weeks away
    > <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2365>.
    >
    > I know, you're going to stick with your obsolete, unsupported systems come
    > hell or high water. Do you trust Microsoft or don't you?

    Frankly, who gives a flying ****? Have I ever tried, or intended to try,
    to get support from MS? Do I know anyone who has? There are hundreds and
    thousands of other places out there where your chances at getting good
    help are better ... so what's changed, or is about to change, exactly?

    moot point, no score, phail, soz.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Mar 27, 2009
  7. On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:54:39 +1200, Peter Huebner
    <> wrote:

    >In article <gqekgn$q0d$>, ldo@geek-
    >central.gen.new_zealand says...
    >> ... after 14 April, which is less than 4 weeks away
    >> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2365>.
    >>
    >> I know, you're going to stick with your obsolete, unsupported systems come
    >> hell or high water. Do you trust Microsoft or don't you?
    >>

    >Frankly, who gives a flying ****? Have I ever tried, or intended to try,
    >to get support from MS? Do I know anyone who has? There are hundreds and
    >thousands of other places out there where your chances at getting good
    >help are better ... so what's changed, or is about to change, exactly?
    >
    >moot point, no score, phail, soz.
    >
    >-P.

    I have asked for and received support from Microsoft for Vista, once
    for a Windows Update problem, and once for a Vista bug. They helped
    me fix the former, but eventually said that the latter would be fixed
    in Vista SP3 (yes, I mean SP3, not SP2).

    Stephen Worthington, Mar 27, 2009
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:54:39 +1200, Peter Huebner
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>In article <gqekgn$q0d$>, ldo@geek-
    >>central.gen.new_zealand says...
    >>> ... after 14 April, which is less than 4 weeks away
    >>> <http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=2365>.
    >>>
    >>> I know, you're going to stick with your obsolete, unsupported systems
    >>> come
    >>> hell or high water. Do you trust Microsoft or don't you?
    >>>

    >>Frankly, who gives a flying ****? Have I ever tried, or intended to try,
    >>to get support from MS? Do I know anyone who has? There are hundreds and
    >>thousands of other places out there where your chances at getting good
    >>help are better ... so what's changed, or is about to change, exactly?
    >>
    >>moot point, no score, phail, soz.
    >>
    >>-P.

    > I have asked for and received support from Microsoft for Vista, once
    > for a Windows Update problem, and once for a Vista bug. They helped
    > me fix the former, but eventually said that the latter would be fixed
    > in Vista SP3 (yes, I mean SP3, not SP2).

    Anecdotal "bugs" do tend to be assigned low priorities.

    impossible, Mar 27, 2009
  9. On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 12:01:47 GMT, "impossible" <>
    wrote:

    >"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:54:39 +1200, Peter Huebner
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>In article <gqekgn$q0d$>, ldo@geek-
    >>>central.gen.new_zealand says...

    >>>Frankly, who gives a flying ****? Have I ever tried, or intended to try,
    >>>to get support from MS? Do I know anyone who has? There are hundreds and
    >>>thousands of other places out there where your chances at getting good
    >>>help are better ... so what's changed, or is about to change, exactly?
    >>>
    >>>moot point, no score, phail, soz.
    >>>
    >>>-P.

    >> I have asked for and received support from Microsoft for Vista, once
    >> for a Windows Update problem, and once for a Vista bug. They helped
    >> me fix the former, but eventually said that the latter would be fixed
    >> in Vista SP3 (yes, I mean SP3, not SP2).

    >Anecdotal "bugs" do tend to be assigned low priorities.

    No, they reproduced it, and it is a nasty bug - if one of my drives
    has been shut down when Vista goes into sleep mode, when it wakes up
    again, that drive is invisible - completely unable to be accessed.
    Since they can reproduce it, I would have thought they would have been
    able to fix it for SP2.

    Stephen Worthington, Mar 27, 2009
  10. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 12:01:47 GMT, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>message news:...

    >>> I have asked for and received support from Microsoft for Vista, once
    >>> for a Windows Update problem, and once for a Vista bug. They helped
    >>> me fix the former, but eventually said that the latter would be fixed
    >>> in Vista SP3 (yes, I mean SP3, not SP2).

    >>Anecdotal "bugs" do tend to be assigned low priorities.

    > No, they reproduced it, and it is a nasty bug - if one of my drives
    > has been shut down when Vista goes into sleep mode, when it wakes up
    > again, that drive is invisible - completely unable to be accessed.
    > Since they can reproduce it, I would have thought they would have been
    > able to fix it for SP2.

    Why don't you post a copy oif your communication with Microsoft so we all
    know exactly what we're talking about.

    impossible, Mar 27, 2009
  11. On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 22:52:11 GMT, "impossible" <>
    wrote:

    >"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 12:01:47 GMT, "impossible" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>>message news:...

    >>>Anecdotal "bugs" do tend to be assigned low priorities.

    >> No, they reproduced it, and it is a nasty bug - if one of my drives
    >> has been shut down when Vista goes into sleep mode, when it wakes up
    >> again, that drive is invisible - completely unable to be accessed.
    >> Since they can reproduce it, I would have thought they would have been
    >> able to fix it for SP2.

    >Why don't you post a copy oif your communication with Microsoft so we all
    >know exactly what we're talking about.

    I checked my emails on the subject, and most of them are just setting
    up a time for a phone call. If there is a Microsoft database
    somewhere you have access to, look up SRX1069232207ID.

    Stephen Worthington, Mar 28, 2009
  12. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 22:52:11 GMT, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>message news:...

    >>> No, they reproduced it, and it is a nasty bug - if one of my drives
    >>> has been shut down when Vista goes into sleep mode, when it wakes up
    >>> again, that drive is invisible - completely unable to be accessed.
    >>> Since they can reproduce it, I would have thought they would have been
    >>> able to fix it for SP2.

    >>Why don't you post a copy oif your communication with Microsoft so we all
    >>know exactly what we're talking about.

    > I checked my emails on the subject, and most of them are just setting
    > up a time for a phone call. If there is a Microsoft database
    > somewhere you have access to, look up SRX1069232207ID.

    What "Microsoft database" are you talking about? That looks like nothing
    more than some kind of service call log id. Maybe you can follow up and
    report back. Until then, I'm going to treat this as just another story.

    impossible, Mar 28, 2009
  13. On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 02:00:30 GMT, "impossible" <>
    wrote:

    >"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >message news:...
    >> On Fri, 27 Mar 2009 22:52:11 GMT, "impossible" <>
    >> wrote:
    >>

    >>>"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>>message news:...

    >>>Why don't you post a copy oif your communication with Microsoft so we all
    >>>know exactly what we're talking about.

    >> I checked my emails on the subject, and most of them are just setting
    >> up a time for a phone call. If there is a Microsoft database
    >> somewhere you have access to, look up SRX1069232207ID.

    >What "Microsoft database" are you talking about? That looks like nothing
    >more than some kind of service call log id.

    Read what I said. I said "if" there is a Microsoft database. So IF
    there is a Microsoft database that is accessible for these support
    requests, then you might be able to find it under that ID number. I
    doubt that they would be publicly accessible, though, as such support
    queries often contain private information.

    >Maybe you can follow up and
    >report back. Until then, I'm going to treat this as just another story.

    So you are calling me a liar then? This "story" is first hand from
    Microsoft to me.

    Stephen Worthington, Mar 28, 2009
  14. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    AD. Guest

    On Mar 28, 8:18 pm, Stephen Worthington
    <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote:
    > On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 02:00:30 GMT, "impossible" <>
    > >Maybe you can follow up and
    > >report back. Until then, I'm going to treat this as just another story.

    > So you are calling me a liar then?

    Of course. Anyone who (even only incidentally in your case) makes MS
    or Apple look the slightest bit imperfect is a lying subversive
    troublemaker sent by the evil IBM / Google empire.

    If you trim some posts, maybe you can get "thug" thrown in too :)

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Mar 28, 2009
  15. In article <>,
    34.nz56.remove_numbers says...

    > >Maybe you can follow up and
    > >report back. Until then, I'm going to treat this as just another story.

    > So you are calling me a liar then? This "story" is first hand from
    > Microsoft to me.

    Ignore him, the guy's a total moron. His nome de plume is appropriate,
    because it's impossible to have an intelligent discourse with him.
    I've yet to see him reply to anybody in a way that indicates that he's
    actually read and understood what he's replying to. Just don't bother...

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Mar 28, 2009
  16. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    "Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    message news:...
    > On Sat, 28 Mar 2009 02:00:30 GMT, "impossible" <>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>"Stephen Worthington" <34.nz56.remove_numbers> wrote in
    >>message news:...

    >>> I checked my emails on the subject, and most of them are just setting
    >>> up a time for a phone call. If there is a Microsoft database
    >>> somewhere you have access to, look up SRX1069232207ID.

    >>What "Microsoft database" are you talking about? That looks like nothing
    >>more than some kind of service call log id.

    > Read what I said. I said "if" there is a Microsoft database. So IF
    > there is a Microsoft database that is accessible for these support
    > requests, then you might be able to find it under that ID number. I
    > doubt that they would be publicly accessible, though, as such support
    > queries often contain private information.

    That's too bad.

    >>Maybe you can follow up and
    >>report back. Until then, I'm going to treat this as just another story.

    > So you are calling me a liar then?

    No, just a story-teller.

    > This "story" is first hand from Microsoft to me.

    And second-hand to nz.comp from you.

    impossible, Mar 28, 2009
  17. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    impossible Guest

    impossible, Mar 28, 2009
  18. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    > In article <>,
    > 34.nz56.remove_numbers says...
    >>
    >> >Maybe you can follow up and
    >> >report back. Until then, I'm going to treat this as just another story.

    >> So you are calling me a liar then? This "story" is first hand from
    >> Microsoft to me.

    > Ignore him, the guy's a total moron. His nome de plume is appropriate,
    > because it's impossible to have an intelligent discourse with him.
    > I've yet to see him reply to anybody in a way that indicates that he's
    > actually read and understood what he's replying to. Just don't bother...

    Poor Peter! Humilaited by girls all the time, and you can never forgive us,
    can you? Don't worry, lots of boys have your wee problem.

    impossible, Mar 28, 2009
  19. In article <gqh9b4$mkt$>, "Alan" <> wrote:
    >"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >message news:gqf9n8$6qo$...
    >
    >> No More Free XP Support

    >> My clients get their Linux support from me--that's what they pay me
    >> for.

    >So No More Free Linux Support for your customers then?

    Anyone ever tried to use the 'support' provided by MS ? My experience (many
    years ago) was that they either knew nothing or were very unhelpful (or
    both ? :) ). IME, the linux support is better. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Mar 30, 2009
  20. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Alan Guest

    "Bruce Sinclair" <>
    wrote in message
    > In article <gqh9b4$mkt$>, "Alan"
    > <> wrote:
    >>"Lawrence D'Oliveiro" <_zealand> wrote in
    >>message news:gqf9n8$6qo$...
    >>
    >>> No More Free XP Support

    >>> My clients get their Linux support from me--that's what they pay
    >>> me
    >>> for.

    >>So No More Free Linux Support for your customers then?

    > Anyone ever tried to use the 'support' provided by MS ? My
    > experience (many
    > years ago) was that they either knew nothing or were very unhelpful
    > (or
    > both ? :) ). IME, the linux support is better. :)

    Personally, I use the big bad net for support on both Windows and
    Linux, as I find it better in the long run, and when I ask a question
    (say, here), and get an answer, it is available for anyone to follow
    behind.

    Hence, the changes with respect to XP are completely irrelevant to me.

    Alan.

    Alan, Mar 30, 2009