    Technologies Group.

    Macrovision ensures that DVDs featuring the new technology will work on
    existing DVD players.
    ShadowRaptor, Feb 15, 2005

  2. ShadowRaptor

    Justin Guest

    ShadowRaptor wrote on [Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:45:13 -0600]:
    > 2.15.05 - Macrovision announced new technology today that it hopes will stop
    > users from illegally copying DVD movies. The technology is called RipGuard
    > DVD and it's going to make its way into DVDs starting with the new High
    > Definition DVD films later this year.

    First there's this ^^

    > Macrovision ensures that DVDs featuring the new technology will work on
    > existing DVD players.

    And then there's this...

    Ummm, will HD DVDs be working on existing DVD players?
    Justin, Feb 15, 2005

  3. ShadowRaptor

    Gunther Guest

    In article <6jsQd.22344$>,
    says...
    > 2.15.05 - Macrovision announced new technology today that it hopes will

    actually work, unlike most of its past attempts a copy protection.
    In a related press release from TRW (The Real World), a spokesman
    said "fat fucking chance of that!"
    Gunther, Feb 15, 2005
  4. ShadowRaptor

    TheMartian Guest

    ShadowRaptor wrote:
    > 2.15.05 - Macrovision announced new technology today that it hopes will stop
    > users from illegally copying DVD movies. The technology is called RipGuard
    > DVD and it's going to make its way into DVDs starting with the new High
    > Definition DVD films later this year.
    >
    > The idea behind RipGuard is that it plugs the original security hole that
    > was exposed by the DeCSS software back in 1999, which bypassed the CSS
    > encryption program. This allowed even the average consumer to copy a
    > complete DVD to their computer and distribute the DVD on file sharing
    > networks.
    >
    > "Macrovision RipGuard DVD is designed to dramatically reduce DVD ripping and
    > the resulting supply of illegal P2P content," said Steve Weinstein,
    > executive vice president and general manager of Macrovision's Entertainment
    > Technologies Group.
    >
    > Macrovision ensures that DVDs featuring the new technology will work on
    > existing DVD players.

    assuming this is not vaporware, how long until its cracked wide open

    ---
    Web: www.sol4.net
    Jabber:
    Block List: sol4.net/spam_blocks.shtml
    Powered by Apples and Penguins
    TheMartian, Feb 15, 2005
  5. ShadowRaptor

    MS Guest

    > assuming this is not vaporware, how long until its cracked wide open

    What do the warez people call it: 'zero day'!

    MS
    MS, Feb 15, 2005
  6. ShadowRaptor

    Tarkus Guest

    On 2/15/2005 11:53:09 AM, Justin wrote:

    > ShadowRaptor wrote on [Tue, 15 Feb 2005 13:45:13 -0600]:
    >> 2.15.05 - Macrovision announced new technology today that it hopes
    >> will stop users from illegally copying DVD movies. The technology is
    >> called RipGuard DVD and it's going to make its way into DVDs starting
    >> with the new High Definition DVD films later this year.

    > First there's this ^^
    >
    >> Macrovision ensures that DVDs featuring the new technology will work on
    >> existing DVD players.

    > And then there's this...
    >
    > Ummm, will HD DVDs be working on existing DVD players?

    You missed the keyword "starting." They're saying the RipGuard
    technology is backwards compatible, not HD-DVD discs. IOW, while it will
    be introduced on HD-DVD discs, eventually they hope it will be used on
    regular DVDs as well.
    --
    "I like toast. Its the muffins that must be stopped."

    Now playing: "Pat Travers - Gettin' Betta"
    Tarkus, Feb 15, 2005
  7. ShadowRaptor

    Mike Kohary Guest

    ShadowRaptor wrote:
    > 2.15.05 - Macrovision announced new technology today that it hopes
    > will stop users from illegally copying DVD movies. The technology is
    > called RipGuard DVD and it's going to make its way into DVDs starting
    > with the new High Definition DVD films later this year.

    I give it a week until it's cracked.

    Mike Kohary, Feb 16, 2005
  8. ShadowRaptor

    Donald Link Guest

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:48:51 -0800, "Mike Kohary" <>
    wrote:

    >ShadowRaptor wrote:
    >> 2.15.05 - Macrovision announced new technology today that it hopes
    >> will stop users from illegally copying DVD movies. The technology is
    >> called RipGuard DVD and it's going to make its way into DVDs starting
    >> with the new High Definition DVD films later this year.

    >I give it a week until it's cracked.

    God, it must be really good to take a week. Usally the crackers have
    their product out before the new technogly is out. What most of the
    dumb nuts who try to copy protect their product is that they are
    spending money to the encryption copy for no reason. What they need
    to do is to market the product cheaply enough to buy. Disney is one
    of the worst. Not only do you have to pay thru the nose, but you have
    to put up with advertisements.
    Donald Link, Feb 16, 2005
  9. ShadowRaptor

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Donald Link wrote:
    > On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:48:51 -0800, "Mike Kohary" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> ShadowRaptor wrote:
    >>> 2.15.05 - Macrovision announced new technology today that it hopes
    >>> will stop users from illegally copying DVD movies. The technology is
    >>> called RipGuard DVD and it's going to make its way into DVDs
    >>> starting with the new High Definition DVD films later this year.

    >> I give it a week until it's cracked.

    > God, it must be really good to take a week. Usally the crackers have
    > their product out before the new technogly is out. What most of the
    > dumb nuts who try to copy protect their product is that they are
    > spending money to the encryption copy for no reason. What they need
    > to do is to market the product cheaply enough to buy.

    Bingo. Copy protection is the worst possible investment any media company
    could make, since it results in almost no return on their money.

    Mike Kohary, Feb 16, 2005
  10. ShadowRaptor

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Tarkus wrote:
    > On 2/15/2005 5:59:28 PM, Mike Kohary wrote:
    >
    >> Bingo. Copy protection is the worst possible investment any media
    >> company could make, since it results in almost no return on their
    >> money.

    > How do you know?

    Because it's totally ineffective.

    Mike Kohary, Feb 16, 2005
  11. ShadowRaptor

    Tarkus Guest

    On 2/15/2005 5:55:28 PM, Donald Link wrote:

    > God, it must be really good to take a week. Usally the crackers have
    > their product out before the new technogly is out. What most of the
    > dumb nuts who try to copy protect their product is that they are
    > spending money to the encryption copy for no reason.

    I wouldn't go that far. Even weak copy protection stops most casual
    copiers, though it doesn't stop us nerds. Keep in mind they're trying to
    stop mom and pop from copying; they're not trying to stop the techno
    geeks who probably can't be stopped.

    The vast majority of people don't even know that Usenet exists, never
    mind programs like DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. I've pointed people in
    the direction of those two programs, and more often than not, they
    consider them too complicated (though they seem extremely easy to me).
    So they'd rather use a commercial program or not bother at all.

    THOSE are the people Hollywood is going after. They probably can't stop
    the geeks, and even if they could, it wouldn't make that much difference
    to the bottom line. People around these parts forget that they're part
    of a very small minority.

    > What they need to do is to market the product cheaply enough to buy.
    > Disney is one of the worst. Not only do you have to pay thru the
    > nose, but you have to put up with advertisements.

    True enough.
    --
    "Your guilty conscience may move you to vote Democratic, but
    deep down you long for a cold-hearted Republican to lower taxes,

    Now playing: "Pat Travers - Gettin' Betta"
    Tarkus, Feb 16, 2005
  12. ShadowRaptor

    Tarkus Guest

    On 2/15/2005 5:59:28 PM, Mike Kohary wrote:

    > Bingo. Copy protection is the worst possible investment any media
    > company could make, since it results in almost no return on their
    > money.

    How do you know?
    --
    "It appears my hypocrisy knows no bounds."

    Now playing: "Pat Travers - Gettin' Betta"
    Tarkus, Feb 16, 2005
  13. ShadowRaptor

    Justin Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote on [Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:21:03 -0800]:
    > Tarkus wrote:
    >> On 2/15/2005 5:59:28 PM, Mike Kohary wrote:
    >>
    >>> Bingo. Copy protection is the worst possible investment any media
    >>> company could make, since it results in almost no return on their
    >>> money.

    >> How do you know?

    > Because it's totally ineffective.

    It stops the casual copyer. Not quite total.
    Justin, Feb 16, 2005
  14. ShadowRaptor

    Dave Henrie Guest

    "Mike Kohary" <> wrote in news:cuuam7$s89$:

    > Because it's totally ineffective.

    At the consumer level, but sales reps for Software companies can use the
    inclusion of CP to push more product on the retailers. i.e. kids won't be
    bringing these discs back for returns and then getting something else for
    free, because they can't easily copy it.

    I abhor current CP but for the moment I'm at least not livid.

    dh
    Dave Henrie, Feb 16, 2005
  15. ShadowRaptor

    Mike Kohary Guest

    Justin wrote:
    > Mike Kohary wrote on [Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:21:03 -0800]:
    >> Tarkus wrote:

    >>> How do you know?

    >> Because it's totally ineffective.

    > It stops the casual copyer. Not quite total.

    All right, not 100% total. But those aren't the guys anyone needed to worry
    about anyway. My brother-in-law is no tech geek, not even close, but DVD
    Shrink is his favorite program, and his collection grows constantly because
    of it.

    Mike Kohary, Feb 16, 2005
  16. ShadowRaptor

    TCS Guest

    On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:32:37 GMT, Justin <> wrote:
    >Mike Kohary wrote on [Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:21:03 -0800]:
    >> Tarkus wrote:

    >>> How do you know?

    >> Because it's totally ineffective.

    >It stops the casual copyer. Not quite total.

    It stops those making legitimate copies, such as for replacing
    nearly worn out media.

    And it doesn't stop the ones making money out of pirating.

    Sounds pretty damn ineffective to me.
    TCS, Feb 16, 2005
  17. ShadowRaptor

    Justin Guest

    Mike Kohary wrote on [Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:46:20 -0800]:
    > Justin wrote:
    >> Mike Kohary wrote on [Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:21:03 -0800]:

    >>> Because it's totally ineffective.

    >> It stops the casual copyer. Not quite total.

    > All right, not 100% total. But those aren't the guys anyone needed to worry
    > about anyway. My brother-in-law is no tech geek, not even close, but DVD
    > Shrink is his favorite program, and his collection grows constantly because
    > of it.

    And who brought the application to his attention.

    Many more people have no clue about it than do.
    Justin, Feb 16, 2005
  18. ShadowRaptor

    Justin Guest

    TCS wrote on [Tue, 15 Feb 2005 20:46:26 -0600]:
    > On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 02:32:37 GMT, Justin <> wrote:
    >>Mike Kohary wrote on [Tue, 15 Feb 2005 18:21:03 -0800]:

    >>> Because it's totally ineffective.

    >>It stops the casual copyer. Not quite total.

    > It stops those making legitimate copies, such as for replacing
    > nearly worn out media.

    You mean the people that rent and copy

    > And it doesn't stop the ones making money out of pirating.
    >
    > Sounds pretty damn ineffective to me.

    People that buy pirated product are just idiots.
    Justin, Feb 16, 2005
  19. ShadowRaptor

    Bill Turner Guest

    On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 16:48:51 -0800, "Mike Kohary" <> wrote:

    >I give it a week until it's cracked.

    Speaking of cracking new stuff, has the .wma DRM audio system been
    cracked?
    Bill Turner, Feb 16, 2005
  20. ShadowRaptor

    Octavian Guest

    "Tarkus" <> wrote in message
    > I wouldn't go that far. Even weak copy protection stops most casual
    > copiers, though it doesn't stop us nerds. Keep in mind they're trying to
    > stop mom and pop from copying; they're not trying to stop the techno
    > geeks who probably can't be stopped.
    >
    > The vast majority of people don't even know that Usenet exists, never
    > mind programs like DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. I've pointed people in
    > the direction of those two programs, and more often than not, they
    > consider them too complicated (though they seem extremely easy to me).
    > So they'd rather use a commercial program or not bother at all.

    Exactly. People need to understand that perfect results are seldom possible,
    and never worth the cost. And not even necessary.

    Things only need to be "good enough". To the studios, "good enough" happens
    when the savings due to thwarting pirates greatly exceeds the cost of
    achieving those savings.

    100% effective protection is not needed.
    Octavian, Feb 16, 2005