No more Copying of Audio,,

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by XP, Dec 19, 2005.

  1. XP

    XP Guest

    XP, Dec 19, 2005

  2. XP

    steve Guest

    XP wrote:

    > http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/12817
    >
    > Have the Yanks gone utterly mad..

    So people will rediscover how to make their own audio equipment.

    Home electronics will become "open" in the same way computer geeks forced
    software to create space for "open" software written by anyone.

    The time to move into the electronics realm is clearly here....and almost
    now.

    Off to DSE to buy and play with components.

    steve, Dec 19, 2005

  3. XP

    Hank Guest

    Ok try making a DVD rom drive or a 42" LCD TV with parts from Dick
    Smiths. In fact even if you could get the "raw" parts I bet you
    wouldn't be able to assemble it.

    Hank, Dec 20, 2005
  4. XP

    steve Guest

    Hank wrote:

    > Ok try making a DVD rom drive or a 42" LCD TV with parts from Dick
    > Smiths. In fact even if you could get the "raw" parts I bet you
    > wouldn't be able to assemble it.

    It won't be pretty - at first.

    No harm in trying. The alternative is to conclude you're powerless and any
    action to defend your freedom is futile. Most may well be happy with that.

    The people who aren't will pave the way for the sheep to follow.

    As always.

    steve, Dec 21, 2005
  5. XP

    Hank Guest

    No whats needed is a simple (in principle) hardware hack to bypass the
    DRM. This is the case now (eg game console modchips) and will be in the
    future. If people have access to the physical device it will be hacked
    and any DRM/protection will be bypassed as normal.

    So maybe tinkering with electronics might not be a bad idea afterall.

    Hank, Dec 21, 2005
  6. XP

    steve Guest

    Hank wrote:

    > No whats needed is a simple (in principle) hardware hack to bypass the
    > DRM. This is the case now (eg game console modchips) and will be in the
    > future. If people have access to the physical device it will be hacked
    > and any DRM/protection will be bypassed as normal.

    The problem arises when they make that illegal.....

    > So maybe tinkering with electronics might not be a bad idea afterall.

    In the short term. In the long term an open platform anyone can make /
    build / assemble might be the way to avoid these problems.

    It might not have all the knobs and whistles initially.....but it will do
    what needs to be done.

    steve, Dec 21, 2005
  7. XP

    David Guest

    steve wrote:
    > Hank wrote:
    >

    >>No whats needed is a simple (in principle) hardware hack to bypass the
    >>DRM. This is the case now (eg game console modchips) and will be in the
    >>future. If people have access to the physical device it will be hacked
    >>and any DRM/protection will be bypassed as normal.

    > The problem arises when they make that illegal.....

    "they"? Hopefully not yet. The government represents *us*. WE choose
    what's illegal and what's not, by voting, or setting up a party.

    David, Dec 21, 2005
  8. In article <>, steve <> wrote:
    >Hank wrote:
    >
    >> No whats needed is a simple (in principle) hardware hack to bypass the
    >> DRM. This is the case now (eg game console modchips) and will be in the
    >> future. If people have access to the physical device it will be hacked
    >> and any DRM/protection will be bypassed as normal.

    >The problem arises when they make that illegal.....

    Any law, if suficiently stupid, will be ignored ... both by the public and
    the police. Eventually, it gets changed/deleted.
    I am reminded of archery practice which until relatively recently, was
    required one hour per week IIRC. :)

    Bruce

    (if there were any)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 21, 2005
  9. XP

    brianM Guest

    On Wed, 21 Dec 2005 15:06:12 +1000, David wrote:

    > steve wrote:
    >> Hank wrote:
    >>

    >>>No whats needed is a simple (in principle) hardware hack to bypass the
    >>>DRM. This is the case now (eg game console modchips) and will be in the
    >>>future. If people have access to the physical device it will be hacked
    >>>and any DRM/protection will be bypassed as normal.

    >> The problem arises when they make that illegal.....
    >>

    > "they"? Hopefully not yet. The government represents *us*. WE choose
    > what's illegal and what's not, by voting, or setting up a party.

    If in a Government-held seat, write to the MP as follows:
    Dear Sir/Madam
    I will not be voting for you at the next election because:
    (a) You failed to protect my freedom of "fair use"
    (b) You showed favour to the pigopolists of the recording industry.
    (c) My cat hates you

    There is one thing an MP values above all things - your vote and
    very little else. You can jump up and down, lie on your back and throw
    a tantrum, protest on talkback shows, write copious letters to newspapers,
    stand on a soapbox in a public square and scream your lungs out, but
    until you mention the magic words "my vote" frankly nothing else means a damn.

    good luck - you'll need it
    BrianM

    brianM, Dec 21, 2005
  10. XP

    steve Guest

    David wrote:

    > "they"? Hopefully not yet. The government represents us. WE choose
    > what's illegal and what's not, by voting, or setting up a party.

    Most people would understand the issue if you explain it slowly.....but they
    won't much care.

    From my experience most people will do what they like and ignore the law if
    they see no obvious victim or harm done.

    Lip service all 'round.....but a CD-R of MP3s downloaded playing in every
    home.

    steve, Dec 22, 2005