No modem cable with my Dell laptop

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 9, 2004.

  1. maz wrote:
    > Just wondering if anyone else has purchased a Dell notebook, and did
    > actually get provided with a modem cable.

    we buy a heap of them here at work, and each has had a modem cable.
    All Latitude 600 or Lat 800 models.

    > I would expect that I would have been provided with everything to use the
    > laptop, after spending close to 3k on it.

    indeed, it sounds like it was left out rather than intentionally,
    although if the CSR said that, it is kinda odd.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 9, 2004

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    maz Guest

    Just been delivered a new Dell laptop, but it didn't come with a modem
    cable. It did come with an adapter to plug into my telephone socket, there
    is just no cord to connect the computer to it. I spoke to Dell in Malaysia
    or India or somewhere like that, and they said that they don't include the
    cable, however nowhere in the manual does it say that it doesn't come with
    one.

    maz, Nov 9, 2004

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    ws Guest

    Same!!!!

    ws, Nov 9, 2004
  4. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Dorado Guest

    maz wrote:
    > Just been delivered a new Dell laptop, but it didn't come with a modem
    > cable. It did come with an adapter to plug into my telephone socket,
    > there is just no cord to connect the computer to it. I spoke to Dell
    > in Malaysia or India or somewhere like that, and they said that they
    > don't include the cable, however nowhere in the manual does it say
    > that it doesn't come with one.
    >
    > Just wondering if anyone else has purchased a Dell notebook, and did
    > actually get provided with a modem cable.
    > I would expect that I would have been provided with everything to use
    > the laptop, after spending close to 3k on it.

    I bought an Inspiron 1100 about a year ago, got all the cables with it, even
    had 2 different types of modem cables, one that fits the NZ sockets and one
    I believe for US sockets.
    Dorado, Nov 9, 2004
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    maz Guest

    "ws" <> wrote in message
    > Same!!!!
    >

    > "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz> wrote in message
    > > Just been delivered a new Dell laptop, but it didn't come with a modem
    > > cable. It did come with an adapter to plug into my telephone socket,

    there
    > > is just no cord to connect the computer to it. I spoke to Dell in

    Malaysia
    > > or India or somewhere like that, and they said that they don't include

    the
    > > cable, however nowhere in the manual does it say that it doesn't come

    with
    > > one.
    > >
    > > Just wondering if anyone else has purchased a Dell notebook, and did
    > > actually get provided with a modem cable.
    > > I would expect that I would have been provided with everything to use

    the
    > > laptop, after spending close to 3k on it.

    Must be a recent thing, so they can save a bit of money. Just very annoying
    for their customers when purcahsing such an expensive item, as it makes Dell
    appear to be very cheap that they can't even supply the modem cable. I also
    purchased another brand of desktop, and they were able to supply a modem
    cable.
    Maybe Dell think our internet needs are not of third world standards and
    that we wouldn't need such a thing as a modem cable, and that we would all
    be using wifi in NZ. It is very strange that it comes with the plug for
    plugging into the telephone socket though.
    maz, Nov 9, 2004
  6. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Rob Guest

    >> Just wondering if anyone else has purchased a Dell notebook, and did
    >> actually get provided with a modem cable.

    > we buy a heap of them here at work, and each has had a modem cable.
    > All Latitude 600 or Lat 800 models.
    >
    >> I would expect that I would have been provided with everything to use the
    >> laptop, after spending close to 3k on it.

    > indeed, it sounds like it was left out rather than intentionally, although
    > if the CSR said that, it is kinda odd.
    >
    > --
    > Dave Hall
    > http://www.dave.net.nz
    > http://www.karyn.net.nz

    Mines an inspirion 8600 model, so maybe with these models they don't supply.

    Sorry, I initially sent the reply to your email instead of to the group
    Rob, Nov 9, 2004
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    JedMeister Guest

    "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz> wrote in message
    > Just been delivered a new Dell laptop, but it didn't come with a modem
    > cable. It did come with an adapter to plug into my telephone socket, there
    > is just no cord to connect the computer to it. I spoke to Dell in Malaysia
    > or India or somewhere like that, and they said that they don't include the
    > cable, however nowhere in the manual does it say that it doesn't come with
    > one.
    >
    > Just wondering if anyone else has purchased a Dell notebook, and did
    > actually get provided with a modem cable.
    > I would expect that I would have been provided with everything to use the
    > laptop, after spending close to 3k on it.

    I was supplied a cable for my inspiron 8100 bought several years ago, from
    Dell Ireland.
    JedMeister, Nov 9, 2004
  8. Rob wrote:
    > Mines an inspirion 8600 model, so maybe with these models they don't supply.

    that would suck.

    > Sorry, I initially sent the reply to your email instead of to the group

    no worries, I only check it ~once a week.
    it's just there to test gmails spam filtering, which sofar seems pretty
    good.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 9, 2004
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Toxickiwi Guest

    Got one with mine, I have only used it once (to check if my modem was
    working).

    I bought a 600m about 10 months ago, it is an awsome notebook, you
    read lots of stuff about Dell (not all good) as you do with all large
    companies, but I would recommend the Inspiron 600m to anyone looking
    for a notebook.

    Toxickiwi, Nov 15, 2004
  10. Toxickiwi wrote:
    > I bought a 600m about 10 months ago, it is an awsome notebook, you
    > read lots of stuff about Dell (not all good) as you do with all large
    > companies, but I would recommend the Inspiron 600m to anyone looking
    > for a notebook.

    heh, had to re0read that post, I was thinking, why would someone buy a
    600 metre(600m) phone cable...
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 15, 2004
  11. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Toxickiwi wrote:
    > Got one with mine, I have only used it once (to check if my modem was
    > working).
    >
    > I bought a 600m about 10 months ago, it is an awsome notebook, you
    > read lots of stuff about Dell (not all good) as you do with all large
    > companies, but I would recommend the Inspiron 600m to anyone looking
    > for a notebook.
    >
    > On Tue, 9 Nov 2004 19:01:14 +1300, "maz" <mazz****@slingshot.co.nz>
    > wrote:
    >

    >>Just been delivered a new Dell laptop, but it didn't come with a modem
    >>cable. It did come with an adapter to plug into my telephone socket, there
    >>is just no cord to connect the computer to it. I spoke to Dell in Malaysia
    >>or India or somewhere like that, and they said that they don't include the
    >>cable, however nowhere in the manual does it say that it doesn't come with
    >>one.
    >>
    >>Just wondering if anyone else has purchased a Dell notebook, and did
    >>actually get provided with a modem cable.
    >>I would expect that I would have been provided with everything to use the
    >>laptop, after spending close to 3k on it.

    I don't think they make them any more, replaced with a new model which I
    didn't think was as good IMO. I got one in July and I think they
    stopped them in September, or there a bouts. I got the one with
    1400x1050 LCD, only problem is my 19" monitor doesn't support that
    resolution so things look a bit out of proportion when switching from 1
    to the other. Have to confess, I didn't check my CRT Monitor before I
    got the notebook. Got all the cables and even a free bag when I started
    to Hum and Ar over the phone. That came with free freight and upgrade
    to 64MB video, free upgrade to 512MB RAM + $6 upgrade from 1.5GHz to 1.6
    GHz CPU. Can you tell I'm a happy Dell customer too ? :)

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 16, 2004
  12. Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 16, 2004