    My computer won't connect to microsoft. regardless of which microsoft
    service I attempt to get to: windows update, office, etc., nothing happens.
    This has been happenibg since the big scare when microsoft blocked access.
    navyretired, Sep 16, 2003

  2. navyretired wrote:
    > My computer won't connect to microsoft. regardless of which microsoft
    > service I attempt to get to: windows update,
    > office, etc., nothing

    Umm Office is on YOUR machine, not Microsofts

    > happens. This has been happenibg since the big scare when microsoft
    > blocked access.

    Any error messages?

    --
    Google is your Friend
    gordonATgbpcomputingDOTcoDOTuk
    Gordon Burgess-Parker, Sep 16, 2003

  3. navyretired

    navyretired Guest

    office update
    no message other than unable to connect
    disabled host file to correct
    why did host file cause problem

    navyretired, Sep 16, 2003
  4. navyretired

    trout Guest

    navyretired wrote:

    > office update
    > no message other than unable to connect
    > disabled host file to correct
    > why did host file cause problem

    It's because Microsoft moved some update sites to Akamai.net, which
    is blocked (redirected to local disk) by many Hosts files (whether
    installed by you, or an anti-spy/ad-ware program). You can probably just
    remove references that include that domain.

    trout, Sep 16, 2003
  5. navyretired

    navyretired Guest

    thanks!