No Memory (or Disk Space)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by WeeWilly, Jun 14, 2005.

  1. WeeWilly

    WeeWilly Guest

    Needing help again.. Something is clogging up my memory and I don't know
    how to find what it is. It is new and I can't put a finger on anything I've
    done to cause this

    I have a Pentium 2 with 1GB memory.. running XP

    I've opened IE. Someone sent me three JPG's.. very small.. about 0.05mb
    each

    I've tried to copy each of these (right click | copy) and paste them into an
    empty Word document

    When I try to paste the file into Word, I get a message that says I'm out of
    memory or disk space.. close programs.

    So, I'm asking how do I track down this memory hog. The only things I know
    that are running are the few things in the toolbar which is a program called
    Secretmaker; AVG; Quicktime. I'm sure there are many other essential
    programs running that are invisible to me.. but, I believe they have all
    been running since I got the computer.

    Thanks for any help.
    WeeWilly, Jun 14, 2005

  2. WeeWilly wrote:
    > Needing help again.. Something is clogging up my memory and I don't know
    > how to find what it is. It is new and I can't put a finger on anything I've
    > done to cause this
    >
    > I have a Pentium 2 with 1GB memory.. running XP
    >
    > I've opened IE. Someone sent me three JPG's.. very small.. about 0.05mb
    > each
    >
    > I've tried to copy each of these (right click | copy) and paste them into an
    > empty Word document
    >
    > When I try to paste the file into Word, I get a message that says I'm out of
    > memory or disk space.. close programs.
    >
    > So, I'm asking how do I track down this memory hog. The only things I know
    > that are running are the few things in the toolbar which is a program called
    > Secretmaker; AVG; Quicktime. I'm sure there are many other essential
    > programs running that are invisible to me.. but, I believe they have all
    > been running since I got the computer.

    WTF is Secretmaker? Anyhow, you probably have virus/spyware problems.
    Before you protest, do a complete scan with a known good antivirus such
    as Kaspersky or perhaps eTrust antivirus. Then do scans with MS
    Antivirus, Adaware SE, and Spybot Search and Destroy. And essential
    software? Crap, most of the time you can kill almost all of it and the
    computer will run better, not worse.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 14, 2005

  3. Rôgêr wrote:
    > WeeWilly wrote:
    >
    >> Needing help again.. Something is clogging up my memory and I don't
    >> know how to find what it is. It is new and I can't put a finger on
    >> anything I've done to cause this
    >>
    >> I have a Pentium 2 with 1GB memory.. running XP
    >>
    >> I've opened IE. Someone sent me three JPG's.. very small.. about
    >> 0.05mb each
    >>
    >> I've tried to copy each of these (right click | copy) and paste them
    >> into an empty Word document
    >>
    >> When I try to paste the file into Word, I get a message that says I'm
    >> out of memory or disk space.. close programs.
    >>
    >> So, I'm asking how do I track down this memory hog. The only things I
    >> know that are running are the few things in the toolbar which is a
    >> program called Secretmaker; AVG; Quicktime. I'm sure there are many
    >> other essential programs running that are invisible to me.. but, I
    >> believe they have all been running since I got the computer.

    > WTF is Secretmaker? Anyhow, you probably have virus/spyware problems.
    > Before you protest, do a complete scan with a known good antivirus such
    > as Kaspersky or perhaps eTrust antivirus. Then do scans with MS
    > Antivirus

    Make that MS Antispyware
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 14, 2005
  4. WeeWilly

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jun 2005 21:30:18 -0700, "WeeWilly" <> wrote:

    >Needing help again.. Something is clogging up my memory and I don't know
    >how to find what it is. It is new and I can't put a finger on anything I've
    >done to cause this
    >
    >I have a Pentium 2 with 1GB memory.. running XP
    >
    >I've opened IE. Someone sent me three JPG's.. very small.. about 0.05mb
    >each
    >
    >I've tried to copy each of these (right click | copy) and paste them into an
    >empty Word document
    >
    >When I try to paste the file into Word, I get a message that says I'm out of
    >memory or disk space.. close programs.
    >
    >So, I'm asking how do I track down this memory hog. The only things I know
    >that are running are the few things in the toolbar which is a program called
    >Secretmaker; AVG; Quicktime. I'm sure there are many other essential
    >programs running that are invisible to me.. but, I believe they have all
    >been running since I got the computer.
    >
    >Thanks for any help.

    http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/InsufficientMemory.htm
    Especially the part about "normal.dot"
    Unk, Jun 14, 2005
  5. WeeWilly

    Stevo Guest

    WeeWilly wrote:
    > Needing help again.. Something is clogging up my memory and I don't
    > know how to find what it is. It is new and I can't put a finger on
    > anything I've done to cause this
    >
    > I have a Pentium 2 with 1GB memory.. running XP
    >
    > I've opened IE. Someone sent me three JPG's.. very small.. about
    > 0.05mb each
    >
    > I've tried to copy each of these (right click | copy) and paste them
    > into an empty Word document
    >
    > When I try to paste the file into Word, I get a message that says I'm
    > out of memory or disk space.. close programs.
    >
    > So, I'm asking how do I track down this memory hog. The only things
    > I know that are running are the few things in the toolbar which is a
    > program called Secretmaker; AVG; Quicktime. I'm sure there are many
    > other essential programs running that are invisible to me.. but, I
    > believe they have all been running since I got the computer.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    If you are trying to copy and paste directly from the email and having,
    maybe you should try saving the attachments to your hard drive, in a
    location of your choice, and then try opening them and copying/pasting
    them from there instead.

    I suspect the out of disk/memory space is a typical nonsense type M$
    error message..

    --
    Stevo
    (pull the PIN to reply by e-mail)