No link with Cisco 828 and new dslam

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by Miika Pekkarinen, Jul 22, 2006.

  1. Hi

    So our ISP upgraded some hardware and new dslam (probably some Siemens
    system) and now Cisco 828 is unable to establish a link between that new
    hardware. I have taken some debug logging from the router, and it seems
    that Cisco gets the link for about a second or two, but after that the
    dslam immediately drops the link. Before the upgrade everything was working
    fine, and it would be great if I could get that Cisco router working again.
    Would it be possible to upgrade the IOS with a newer version that could
    solve the issue? Current version is:

    IOS (tm) C828 Software (C828-Y6-M), Version 12.2(1)XE2, EARLY DEPLOYMENT
    RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)
    Synched to technology version 12.2(0.11)T

    System image file is "flash:c828-y6-mz.122-1.XE2.bin"

    CISCO C828 (MPC855T) processor (revision 0x201) with 31744K/1024K bytes of
    memory.
    Processor board ID JAD062106H0 (1489037529), with hardware revision 0000
    CPU rev number 5

    The debug log can be found here:
    http://ihme.org/~miipekk/cisco.txt

    The interface section in the config file looks like this (I have tried many
    different settings with same success):

    interface ATM0
    ip address x.x.x.x x.x.x.x
    no atm ilmi-keepalive
    pvc 0/100
    encapsulation aal5snap
    !
    dsl equipment-type CPE
    dsl operating-mode GSHDSL symmetric annex B
    dsl linerate 2312
    !

    Lets hope there is something to do :)

    Regards,
    --
    Miika Pekkarinen <>

    Miika Pekkarinen, Jul 22, 2006

  2. Miika Pekkarinen

    Merv Guest

    did you try linerate auto ?

    Merv, Jul 22, 2006

  3. Merv wrote:
    > did you try linerate auto ?

    Yes, I tried that also but with the same results. Modem establishes a link
    and even receives a few packets but suddenly (in 1s or so) the link drops
    and all link leds go off.

    --
    Miika Pekkarinen <>

    Miika Pekkarinen, Jul 22, 2006
  4. Hi Miika,

    Could it be a a problem with max packet size ( i.e. receives a few
    packets before dropping ) ?

    Sincerely,

    Brad Reese
    BradReese.Com - Cisco Jobs
    http://www.bradreese.com/hot-jobs.htm
    1293 Hendersonville Road, Suite 17
    Asheville, North Carolina USA 28803
    USA & Canada: 877-549-2680
    International: 828-277-7272
    Fax: 775-254-3558
    AIM: R2MGrant
    BradReese.Com - Cisco Resumes
    http://www.bradreese.com/cisco-resumes.htm

    www.BradReese.Com, Jul 22, 2006
  5. Miika Pekkarinen

    Guest

    Miika Pekkarinen wrote:
    > Merv wrote:
    > > did you try linerate auto ?

    > Yes, I tried that also but with the same results. Modem establishes a link
    > and even receives a few packets but suddenly (in 1s or so) the link drops
    > and all link leds go off.

    There seem to me to be a few possibilities.

    1.
    There is a low level dsl issue.
    Solution - upgrage IOS

    2.
    The ISP no longer supports your settings but they did before
    the change.

    3.
    The DSL level is OK however a higher level protocol at the ISP
    end is getting upset at you and is tearing down the connection.

    I have posted what we use in the UK for SDSL Internet.
    This is an 878.

    controller DSL 0
    mode atm
    line-term cpe
    line-mode 2-wire line-zero
    dsl-mode shdsl symmetric annex B
    line-rate auto

    interface ATM0
    no ip address
    ip virtual-reassembly
    atm ilmi-keepalive
    pvc 0/38
    encapsulation aal5mux ppp dialer
    dialer pool-member 1

    interface Dialer0
    ip address negotiated
    encapsulation ppp
    dialer pool 1
    dialer-group 1
    ppp authentication chap callin
    ppp chap hostname xxxx
    ppp chap password 7 xxxxx
    ppp ipcp dns request
    crypto map xxx

    ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 Dialer0

    I have just noticed that there is no dialer-list
    on this router but it is working???

    Please post the outcome.

    , Jul 23, 2006
  6. Thanks for the replies.

    wrote:
    > There seem to me to be a few possibilities.
    >
    > 1.
    > There is a low level dsl issue.
    > Solution - upgrage IOS

    This seems to be the more likely issue as I have tried everything now I can
    think about. Then the only problem would be how to get a new IOS as I don't
    have any service contract with Cisco. I will try to contact them by email
    to see if they could provide the IOS.

    > 2.
    > The ISP no longer supports your settings but they did before
    > the change.

    They did small changes but that doesn't seem to be the issue because ZyXEL
    modem can establish a link even with incorrect settings but it has other
    more serious issues which Cisco didn't have (for example halting data
    connection for a few minutes several times a day and even the whole device
    crashes and reboots once for a while).

    > 3.
    > The DSL level is OK however a higher level protocol at the ISP
    > end is getting upset at you and is tearing down the connection.

    If I have understood correctly, the link should stay up even with minimal
    configuration (only ATM interface configured with correct DSL parameters).
    It worked before but wont no longer.

    > I have just noticed that there is no dialer-list
    > on this router but it is working???

    This shouldn't be an issue as our ISP doesn't use PPP. It uses RFC1483
    AAL5/LLC encapsulation that I have also enabled on the PVC.

    Lets hope this great device still works one day again :)

    --
    Miika Pekkarinen <>

    Miika Pekkarinen, Jul 23, 2006
  7. www.BradReese.Com, Jul 23, 2006
  8. www.BradReese.Com wrote:
    > Your Cisco Systems Contact Information:

    Hi Brad,

    Thanks for the information. I will try to contact Cisco tomorrow.

    --
    Miika Pekkarinen <>

    Miika Pekkarinen, Jul 23, 2006