    doing exactly that. Are there others?

    Thanks

    lap

    lap, Nov 9, 2007

  2. lap

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    lap wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am looking at the ways to avoid paying line rental to BT. Broadband
    > package could be a solution no?

    ADSL broadband requires a phone line to operate over.

    > What are the solutions on the market
    > to benefit from broadband on the computer for surfing and make cheap
    > phone calls through the internet without having to switch on your
    > computer?

    Put simply, just about any ADSL router with a hardware SIP phone or ATA
    and analogue phone coupled with a VOIP provider.

    >I discovered a product by Orange with the livebox that is
    > doing exactly that.

    You can also take Orange's reduced line rental so it's a good solution.

    Are there others?
    Loads.

    Desk Rabbit, Nov 9, 2007

  3. lap

    Rick Marks Guest

    On Fri, 09 Nov 2007 17:31:55 +0000, Desk Rabbit <>
    wrote:

    >lap wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I am looking at the ways to avoid paying line rental to BT. Broadband
    >> package could be a solution no?

    >ADSL broadband requires a phone line to operate over.
    >
    >> What are the solutions on the market
    >> to benefit from broadband on the computer for surfing and make cheap
    >> phone calls through the internet without having to switch on your
    >> computer?

    >Put simply, just about any ADSL router with a hardware SIP phone or ATA
    >and analogue phone coupled with a VOIP provider.
    >
    >>I discovered a product by Orange with the livebox that is
    >> doing exactly that.

    >You can also take Orange's reduced line rental so it's a good solution.

    Just bear in mind the appalling Orange customer service, though.

    Rick Marks, Nov 9, 2007
  4. lap

    Iain Guest

    Rick Marks wrote:

    > Just bear in mind the appalling Orange customer service, though.

    Their customer service matches their service. Appalling.

    Iain

    Iain, Nov 9, 2007
  5. lap

    Blueyonder Guest

    Blueyonder, Nov 10, 2007
  6. lap <> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I am looking at the ways to avoid paying line rental to BT.

    What do you mean by this? Do you mean:

    1) You don't want to pay anything to BT at all, even through intermediaries

    2) You don't want to have any consumer relationship with BT

    3) You don't want BT to have anything to do with your telephone connection

    4) You want to save the 11 quid a month you pay to BT for line rental.

    Any ADSL product is going to use BT Openreach, so for 1) you're limited to
    Virgin Media cable, or a mobile phone and 2G/3G for data.

    For 2) any LLU company who may or may not do broadband will do. Many are
    offering combined phone+ADSL deals (eg Talktalk, Sky, Orange, etc). You may
    be able to achieve 4) this way, but it may be similar to paying 11 quid to
    BT and a tenner for 'basics' broadband.

    For 3) you're looking at VOIP solutions.

    For 4) it's difficult - you have to pay someone for the wires to your house.
    So either you ignore them and get cable, or you use mobiles. But if you
    want ADSL the wires have to be paid for somehow, and the maintenance money
    still goes to BT (who probably don't make much profit from it). You may be
    able to cut the cost of combined ADSL and phone, but you'll still pay for
    the phone line to some degree.

    Theo

    Theo Markettos, Nov 11, 2007