    When i do a "repair this connection", it says that it is unable to get an IP adress. why can't i get an IP address on some of PCs with the secured network? Mac's worked fine, and 3 of the 5 pc's did as well. i have killed internet security and all other crap on these machines to see if that would help, but nothing. i ran into some talk of an XP service pack 2 patch. but i also ran into some posts about configuring the NIC cards to support WEP-enabled signals.

    any ideas?

    Joe

    joeyraff123, Aug 21, 2006

  2. joeyraff123

    joeyraff123

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2006
    Messages:
    3
    i scoured this site and others and found the following:

    what you need to do is manually assign your laptop an IP
    address. Go to your Network adapter's properties, select TCP/IP and click
    properties. Instead of 'obtain an IP address automatically', enter one
    yourself, something like 192.168.1.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0.

    The default gateway and DNS server should point to your router's IP address. If you aren't using a router, not exactly sure whether this will work or not...
    This is the only thing that's worked for me, hopefully this sorts you guys
    out too!

    And I found this too:

    I found out the following. For me problem also occurs with anothe
    portable equiped with a 3Com PcCard and with Win XP an NO SP2 !!!! So
    it's most likely not a SP2 related matter. Also, my other portable
    already had SP2 installed for 2 weeks before the problems started.

    Now I tested changing the SSID on my wireless router and guess what..
    both machines are able to connect and reconnect, receiving a proper I
    address from the DHCP server. And this several consequtive times.

    It keeps getting better, I changed back the SSID to the old value and.
    my laptops can reconnect to the network again.

    There seems to be some light at the end of the tunnel but I still don'
    see a reason what causes this strange behaviour.

    joeyraff123, Aug 21, 2006