    the router's built in). Can someone guide me on what to check for next?
    Many thanx,
    Ripper
    RipperT, Jun 25, 2008

  2. "RipperT @nOsPaM.nEt>" <<RiPpErT> wrote in message
    news:ewAwc$...
    >I am trying to hook up a clients Linksys WRT54G wireless router so a
    >Toshiba laptop can surf the web. I've reset and re-configured the thing
    >several times, checked that the adapter is working, cloned the adapter's
    >MAC address to the router,

    Don't clone anything. These things are designed so the average clue-less
    "home user" can get them working. So if you have to go through complex steps
    and complex configurations then you are most likely going down the wrong
    path.

    > rebooted numerous times, cycled power on the modem and router several
    > times, tried different cables and XP shows that it's connected with WPA
    > security, yet IE refuses to display any web pages except for the routers
    > setup page. I continually get "Internet Explorer cannot display the page"
    > error. If I remove the network patch cable from the router and plug
    > directly into the computer, I can get internet. I have disabled all
    > firewalls (except the router's built in). Can someone guide me on what to
    > check for next?

    Try things in this order..

    1. Forget the wireless, disable the wireless nic, and for the moment
    physically plug the laptop into one of the LAN Switch ports on the back of
    the WRT54G. I do *not* mean unplug the Internet cable and plug that into
    the laptop,...the WRT needs to stay in the game. If you still get no
    internet access then the wireless was never your problem to begin with and
    you will have to troubleshoot at this point from this perspective. If you
    do get access then move on to dealing with the wireless

    2. Forget the security at the moment and run it as an open network.
    Connect wirelessly and see if you get proper results. If it works then move
    on to enabling the WPA security. If it does not work there is either
    something wrong with the wireless components of the WRT or the wireless nic
    of the laptop,...or maybe an incompatibility between the two.

    3. Configure the WPA carefully. Do make any typos. After connected try to
    ping something that is outside on the internet. Do it by *IP#*,..not by
    name. For example try pinging Google by "ping 64.233.167.147" If it pings
    then you have a valid connection. Now try it by name "ping www.google.com".
    If it pings you are good to go,...if it fails you have DNS configuration
    issues.

    Jack often post some links that he has that should be good to help you
    troubleshoot beyond the simple things I suggested. Here are the links he
    usually posts:

    Phillip Windell
    www.wandtv.com

    Phillip Windell, Jun 25, 2008

  3. RipperT

    Pavel A. Guest

    ">" <<RiPpErT> wrote in message
    > I am trying to hook up a clients Linksys WRT54G wireless router so a
    > Toshiba laptop can surf the web. I've reset and re-configured the thing
    > several times, checked that the adapter is working, cloned the adapter's
    > MAC address to the router, rebooted numerous times, cycled power on the
    > modem and router several times, tried different cables and XP shows that
    > it's connected with WPA security, yet IE refuses to display any web pages
    > except for the routers setup page. I continually get "Internet Explorer
    > cannot display the page" error. If I remove the network patch cable from
    > the router and plug directly into the computer, I can get internet. I have
    > disabled all firewalls (except the router's built in). Can someone guide
    > me on what to check for next?
    > Many thanx,
    > Ripper

    Pardon me if this is too obvious.... but how the router is supposed
    to connect to the internet?
    Have you set it to connect automatically, or you start the
    connection manually from the PC, thru PPPoE etc.?

    --PA
    Pavel A., Jun 25, 2008
  4. RipperT

    Lem Guest

    RipperT < wrote:
    > I am trying to hook up a clients Linksys WRT54G wireless router so a Toshiba
    > laptop can surf the web. I've reset and re-configured the thing several
    > times, checked that the adapter is working, cloned the adapter's MAC address
    > to the router, rebooted numerous times, cycled power on the modem and router
    > several times, tried different cables and XP shows that it's connected with
    > WPA security, yet IE refuses to display any web pages except for the routers
    > setup page. I continually get "Internet Explorer cannot display the page"
    > error. If I remove the network patch cable from the router and plug directly
    > into the computer, I can get internet. I have disabled all firewalls (except
    > the router's built in). Can someone guide me on what to check for next?
    > Many thanx,
    > Ripper

    You've got 3 or 4 different things going on simultaneously. Step back
    and do it systematically.

    First of all, are you certain that the wireless adapter in the laptop is
    on and working? That is, can you get to the "View available wireless
    networks" display? If not, check for a physical and/or Fn+Fkey combo to
    turn the adapter on/off. Check in Device Manager. Make sure that
    *either* Windows WZC *or* the manufacturer's wireless configuration
    utility is running -- not both.

    If you're sure that the laptop end of things is working properly, reset
    the router to factory defaults. Access the router's web configuration
    utility, go to Administration > Factory Defaults, select "Yes" and click
    Save Changes. Otherwise, press the "reset" button on the back panel.
    The manuals generally say to press this for about 10 seconds, but
    sometimes you have to give it a little more encouragement, as follows:
    keep the reset button pressed while you remove power from the router and
    then reconnect the power; keep the reset button pressed for 30 seconds
    or more after you reconnect the router's power.

    What sort of broadband device are you connecting to? If it's a DSL
    modem, you don't have to clone the MAC address.

    On the other hand, some ISP-supplied DSL modems (notably Earthlink) are
    default set to UHP mode in which they are, in effect, one-port routers.
    When you connect the modem directly to the computer and successfully get
    to the Internet, do you have to enter a user name and password? If you
    have a DSL connection and your modem does *not* require a
    userid/password, then you need to reconfigure the modem (not the router)
    to operate in bridge mode and use the PPPoE connection mode of the WRT54G.

    It may be possible, although I haven't tried it, to leave such modems in
    UHP mode and then use the "accept a DHCP address" connection mode of the
    WRT54G.

    Cable connections, unlike DSL connections, are usually setup to provide
    the device connected to the cable modem with an automatic IP address.
    So, in the WRT54G, you need to select that option for "Internet
    connection type."

    Once you have the correct connection type, connect a computer to one of
    the WRT54G's LAN ports, login to the configuration utility, go to the
    "Status" page and confirm that the WRT54G itself is really connected to
    the Internet. If it isn't, and if you have a cable connection, here is
    where you may have to clone the MAC address of the PC that was
    originally connected to the cable modem (although often these will reset
    after some period of disconnection).

    Now that you're positive that the WRT54G is connected to the Internet,
    leave the computer connected to the LAN port and try to surf. If you
    can't, there's something peculiar going on, possibly a defective router.
    Check the IP address of the computer using ipconfig /all. It should
    be 192.168.1.xxx. The default gateway should be 192.168.1.1.

    Only after you can successfully get to the Internet by connecting to one
    of the WRT54G's LAN ports should you start to configure the wireless
    settings. Start by changing the SSID, but do *not* disable SSID
    broadcast. Set the wireless network mode as appropriate. Pick a
    channel: use either 1, 6, or 11. Leave *all* other wireless settings at
    their defaults.

    Disconnect the cable to the LAN port and try to connect wirelessly. OK?
    If no, is the SSID you created visible in "View available wireless
    networks"? What happens when you try to connect?

    If yes, reconnect the cable to the LAN port, log back into the router,
    and *now* configure the wireless encryption. Pick WPA2-PSK, assuming
    that the Toshiba can handle WPA2. Do not add any other wireless
    security measures or "access restrictions." Disconnect the LAN cable
    and try to connect. What happens?

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP

    Lem, Jun 25, 2008
  5. RipperT

    John Guest

    What type of broadband connection you got?
    DSL? Cable modem?

    John, Jun 25, 2008
  6. RipperT

    RipperT Guest

    Many thanx to all who replied. It is a cable connection. As it turns out
    (using Phillip's and Lem's helpful steps) I was supposed to clone the MAC
    address, as I've often had to with Linksys/Comcast. I originally cloned the
    laptops' adapters' address. I subsequently allowed the Linksys setup utility
    to clone the computer's MAC address (not the adapter), then joy.
    Thanx again,
    Ripper

    RipperT, Jun 28, 2008
  7. RipperT

    Barb Bowman Guest

    Actually, if you are using a Comcast cable modem, all you should
    need to do is power cycle the cable modem if you put a different
    Ethernet device behind it.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS-MVP
    Barb Bowman, Jun 28, 2008
  8. RipperT

    ripperT Guest

    Barb Bowman wrote:
    > Actually, if you are using a Comcast cable modem, all you should
    > need to do is power cycle the cable modem if you put a different
    > Ethernet device behind it.
    >
    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 20:05:56 -0400, "RipperT" <<RiPpErT>@nOsPaM.nEt>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Many thanx to all who replied. It is a cable connection. As it turns out
    >> (using Phillip's and Lem's helpful steps) I was supposed to clone the MAC
    >> address, as I've often had to with Linksys/Comcast. I originally cloned the
    >> laptops' adapters' address. I subsequently allowed the Linksys setup utility
    >> to clone the computer's MAC address (not the adapter), then joy.
    >> Thanx again,
    >> Ripper
    >>
    >> "RipperT @nOsPaM.nEt>" <<RiPpErT> wrote in message
    >>> I am trying to hook up a clients Linksys WRT54G wireless router so a
    >>> Toshiba laptop can surf the web. I've reset and re-configured the thing
    >>> several times, checked that the adapter is working, cloned the adapter's
    >>> MAC address to the router, rebooted numerous times, cycled power on the
    >>> modem and router several times, tried different cables and XP shows that
    >>> it's connected with WPA security, yet IE refuses to display any web pages
    >>> except for the routers setup page. I continually get "Internet Explorer
    >>> cannot display the page" error. If I remove the network patch cable from
    >>> the router and plug directly into the computer, I can get internet. I have
    >>> disabled all firewalls (except the router's built in). Can someone guide me
    >>> on what to check for next?
    >>> Many thanx,
    >>> Ripper
    >>>

    > --
    >
    > Barb Bowman
    > MS-MVP

    Thanx, Barb, I will certainly try that next time. A definite time saver.
    Rip
    ripperT, Jun 29, 2008