No internet via WAN but networking fine - help!

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by demon501@gmail.com, Apr 11, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Right, any help on this one much appreciated. My laptop basically
    stopped working via wireless, losing all internet and network
    connectivity (some time mid march and hadn't done anything that would
    explain it). Well, at first I was able to browse to other machines
    but if i tried to copy anything larger than a few KB was told that
    the
    network name was no longer available (although it was). If I
    persisted some pages would sometimes load, but 90% of the time would
    time out. At all times the laptop has stayed connected and has
    succesfully got an IP address via DHCP. So I've ended up trying to
    use a static IP, rebuilt my winsock stack, reinstalled TCP/IP, ran a
    thousand virus and adware scans (all OK) but have been unable to get
    to the bottom of it.

    I know the router (Netgear WGR614) is fine as another laptop on the
    wan is unaffected, as is a desktop hardwired. I then I plugged the
    laptop
    into the router and all was fine! Why I waited until now to do this
    have no idea. So it must be a wireless driver issue or something so
    uninstalled and reinstalled that. Then last night - success - pages
    were loading. Alas, it was short lived. Then this morning all was
    working fine - for a couple of hours and now the problem has
    reoccurred :(. Internal networking is still fine - I using VNC to
    connect to my desktop and write this but am unable to do it directly
    on this laptop.

    Is it possible my wep settings have corrupted on the laptop? I'm
    using WPA-PSK.

    So I'm almost out of ideas. Answers on a BIG post card please google
    world...

    Cheers.....
    , Apr 11, 2007

  2. Hi
    Both Wireless Router and Wireless computer has to be configured to WEP or
    WPA, you can not mix both.
    Otherwise check the basic Installation of the Wireless card,
    http://www.ezlan.net/wireless.html
    Make sure that the Security is configured correctly.
    From the weakest to the strongest, Wireless security capacity is.
    No Security
    MAC
    WEP
    WPA-PSK
    WPA-AES
    WPA2
    Computers Card) should state the type of security that is available with
    your Wireless hardware.
    phrase.
    of one of the Wireless devices.
    device with a better one.