    Both machines have the firewalls off. I've tried putting machine B in the
    DMZ without any protection at all and it's a no-go.

    I never saw this before. How 'bout you guys??

    Techno Wanker, Jul 22, 2005

  2. Techno Wanker

    FML Guest

    Techno Wanker wrote:
    > Here's a real stumper:
    >
    > I have 2 machines running XP Pro on an internal LAN, connected to the
    > Internet via a LinkSys router, which connects it's WAN port to a Motorola
    > Surfboard cable modem. Both machines can see the router and each other. Both
    > can connect to and change the router config. Machine A can reach the
    > internet through the cable modem, but machine B can't make the trip. I've
    > tried just about everything and I can't for the life of me think of what's
    > wrong.
    >
    > Both machines have the firewalls off. I've tried putting machine B in the
    > DMZ without any protection at all and it's a no-go.
    >
    > I never saw this before. How 'bout you guys??

    How about running ipconfig /all on both machines and posting the results
    here. At one point, was Mach A connected directly to the modem without a
    router? If so, it could be that the Cable Modem is provisioned to Mach
    A's MAC address in which case a bit of MAC spoofing at the router may be
    in order. Could be a lot of things. Lets start by looking at the
    ipconfig output.

    FML, Jul 22, 2005

  3. Techno Wanker

    Duane Arnold Guest

    Techno Wanker wrote:

    > Here's a real stumper:
    >
    > I have 2 machines running XP Pro on an internal LAN, connected to the
    > Internet via a LinkSys router, which connects it's WAN port to a Motorola
    > Surfboard cable modem. Both machines can see the router and each other.
    > Both can connect to and change the router config. Machine A can reach the
    > internet through the cable modem, but machine B can't make the trip. I've
    > tried just about everything and I can't for the life of me think of what's
    > wrong.
    >
    > Both machines have the firewalls off. I've tried putting machine B in the
    > DMZ without any protection at all and it's a no-go.
    >
    > I never saw this before. How 'bout you guys??

    It sounds like the only machine that's been provisioned to access the ISP's
    network by MAC is computer A.

    You can either call the ISP and replace computer A's MAC with the MAC of the
    Linksys router or clone the MAC of computer A into the Linksys router and
    use it. The router has the ability to clone a MAC.

    Either way should reslove your problem and both machines can access the
    Internet through the router.

    IPconfig /all will tell you the NIC's MAC and the MAC of the Linksys router
    should be by the serial number on the router.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 22, 2005
  4. Techno Wanker

    Beer Bob Guest

    Thanks to both of you for your input. I checked the ipconfig /all and both
    machines were identical, except for the machine name. I tried shutting down
    both machines, unplugging the router and cable modem. I restarted the modem,
    then the router, then machine B. Now machine B had internet access, but when
    I started up machine A it had none.

    The resolution to the problem came this morning when I had both machines
    running and pressed the reset button on the router. Now both machines have
    access again just as before. It appears the router lost some functionality
    somehow - and I don't know how, because it's powered from a UPS - and turned
    itself into a hub. A switch or hub will not connect multiple computers to a
    cable modem at the same time, because it will only bind the cable modem IP
    number to one machine's NIC. I guess I was thinking that by unplugging the
    router it would automatically reset, but it didn't. And so that's the name
    of that tune!

    The only problem I can recall is last week the cable company had some fiber
    cable burned up in a fire and the cable service was out for about a day for
    all their customers.

    Thanks again!

    Beer Bob, Jul 23, 2005
  5. Techno Wanker

    Duane Arnold Guest

    > The resolution to the problem came this morning when I had both machines
    > running and pressed the reset button on the router. Now both machines have
    > access again just as before. It appears the router lost some functionality
    > somehow - and I don't know how, because it's powered from a UPS - and
    > turned itself into a hub. A switch or hub will not connect multiple
    > computers to a cable modem at the same time, because it will only bind the
    > cable modem IP number to one machine's NIC. I guess I was thinking that by
    > unplugging the router it would automatically reset, but it didn't. And so
    > that's the name of that tune!

    I don't know about this. In order to turn a router into a switch, it has to
    be configured to do it. It's the modem that gets the IP from the ISP and
    the router uses that public WAN IP. The router in turns assigns private or
    LAN IP(s) via the DHCP server on the router to machines requesting a DHCP
    IP or the machine uses a router's static IP.

    Let's just say the router lost functionality and the *Reset* button cleared
    problem.

    Duane :)

    Duane Arnold, Jul 23, 2005