    configuring my RH9 machine so it could work with the Router just like my
    Win2K machine?

    Thanks

    JoEyCrAcK, Sep 28, 2003

  2. On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:58:47 +0000, JoEyCrAcK wrote:

    > I have a Linksys Router. I have two laptops, One is running Win2K and
    > the other Red Hat 9. When connected to the Router the only machine that
    > I could connect to the internet with is my Win2K machine. If I take the
    > cable out from the Router and just connect from the DSL modem (Westell)
    > directly to my RH9 machine then it connects to the internet. Can I get
    > some help on configuring my RH9 machine so it could work with the Router
    > just like my Win2K machine?
    >
    > Thanks

    Make sure your DHCP client in RH9 is running.

    In the GUI desktop go to the start menu (little red hat) and click on

    System Settings then scroll down to Network.

    A panel will pop up showing your ethernet adaptor aka eth0. Click on the
    Edit icon above and make sure that "Automatic Obtain IP Address Setting
    With DHCP" has been selected.

    Not sure if you had to specify manual IP settings for your DSL provider or
    not but if that's the case, this could explain why the RH9 lap won't work
    behind the router.

    US Administrator, Sep 28, 2003

  3. JoEyCrAcK

    Meat-Plow Guest

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 15:58:47 +0000, JoEyCrAcK wrote:

    > I have a Linksys Router. I have two laptops, One is running Win2K and the
    > other Red Hat 9. When connected to the Router the only machine that I could
    > connect to the internet with is my Win2K machine. If I take the cable out
    > from the Router and just connect from the DSL modem (Westell) directly to my
    > RH9 machine then it connects to the internet. Can I get some help on
    > configuring my RH9 machine so it could work with the Router just like my
    > Win2K machine?
    >
    > Thanks

    Oh and you'll have to stop and restart your interface services for the
    change to take effect.

    stop = ifdown eth0 (or whatever the numeric value of your device is)

    restart = ifup eth0

    You need to issues those command lines from a terminal and you'll need to
    be root or su -l root and give root's password.

    Meat-Plow, Sep 28, 2003
  4. JoEyCrAcK

    JoEyCrAcK Guest

    Hey,

    My DHCP is running. a lot of people have told me this and its being running.

    I opened up a Terminal and ran the command

    stop = ifdown eth0 // command not found
    restart = ifup eth0 // command not found

    and that's the same numeric value that I have for my device.

    JoEyCrAcK, Sep 28, 2003
  5. JoEyCrAcK

    Meat-->Plow Guest

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 21:10:15 GMT, "JoEyCrAcK" <>,wrote:

    >Hey,
    >
    >My DHCP is running. a lot of people have told me this and its being running.
    >
    >I opened up a Terminal and ran the command
    >
    >stop = ifdown eth0 // command not found
    >restart = ifup eth0 // command not found
    >
    >and that's the same numeric value that I have for my device.

    You need to be root to have the path to the ifup/down sbins. Or su -l root.

    Can you ping the router ? Do you have an ip address in the LAN's subnet?

    I need to know if the router is configuring your network services.

    Meat-->Plow, Oct 1, 2003