    These other 2 laptops do connect to the Internet however when I use them at
    the coffee shop that offers free wireless connection. What’s wrong with my
    setup at home?
    =?Utf-8?B?c3RtdHM=?=, Sep 29, 2007

  2. Hi
    That is a new one to me. I can explain some thing like this if the
    connection is DSL, but Cable Internet Service???
    How your Internet connection is authenticated (I.e., ID, password, special
    software, etc.)?
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Sep 29, 2007

  3. =?Utf-8?B?c3RtdHM=?=

    Lem Guest

    stmts wrote:
    > I’m using Win XP on my laptop and I have no problem with my wireless
    > connection to the Internet using a Link sys wireless router that’s connected
    > to a cable modem.
    >
    > I recently added 2 additional laptops to my wireless setup and all 3
    > computers connect to the Internet ok. But… when I turn the original laptop
    > off, the other 2 computers can’t connect to the Internet. My original laptop
    > must always be turned on.
    >
    > These other 2 laptops do connect to the Internet however when I use them at
    > the coffee shop that offers free wireless connection. What’s wrong with my
    > setup at home?

    Are you SURE that you have configured your "other laptops" to connect
    via your router? This sounds more like you set up Internet Connection
    Sharing on laptop 1 and the other laptops are connecting to laptop 1.
    (Of course, that would require that laptop 1 be connected to the router
    with either an Ethernet cable or a 2nd wireless adapter.)

    As Robert L says, please post results of ipconfig /all from ALL 3 computers.

    --
    Lem -- MS-MVP - Networking

    Lem, Sep 29, 2007