no internet connection error "Work Offline"???

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Howie, Feb 21, 2005.

  1. Howie

    Howie Guest

    We are using Windows 98SE, Pentium III, 450 MHz.., DSL internet connection,
    224 MB of SDRAM...

    Our internet connection is hit and miss. Commonly, a "work offline" error
    box pops up when we first use Internet Explorer or Outlook Express. The
    error message states: "No connection to the internet is currently available.
    To view internet content that has been saved on your computer click Work
    Offline. Click Try Again to attempt to connect".

    I re-installed the NIC card driver, and that didn't seem to work. The
    trouble started when I cloned my old hard drive onto my newer (larger
    spaced) hard drive... any ideas?

    Outlook Express (OE) doesn't connect on the first try either... I also have
    trouble posting to newsgroups in OE as well. It will still connect, but
    only after I click "try again"... help!

    Howie
    Howie, Feb 21, 2005

  2. Howie

    Plato Guest

    Howie wrote:

    > Our internet connection is hit and miss. Commonly, a "work offline" error
    > box pops up when we first use Internet Explorer or Outlook Express. The
    > error message states: "No connection to the internet is currently available.
    > To view internet content that has been saved on your computer click Work
    > Offline. Click Try Again to attempt to connect".

    Is it a usb "nic".

    Plato, Feb 21, 2005

  3. Howie

    Howie Guest

    > Is it a usb "nic".

    no, the NIC is a PCI card...
    Howie, Feb 21, 2005
  4. Howie

    Plato Guest

    Howie wrote:

    > > Is it a usb "nic".
    > >

    > no, the NIC is a PCI card...

    just thought to ask as your problem is common with some usb nics
    Plato, Feb 22, 2005
  5. Howie

    Jerry G. Guest

    Un-install the networking, and then re-install it again from the
    installation CD for your operating system. You will have to go through the
    pain in the "@$$", to get things going again. This should do the fix most
    of the time.

    You can also try to first do a system file compare using the SFC utility. It
    may fix the fault, if it can find corrupt files and replace them.

    --

    Jerry G.
    ======

    Jerry G., Feb 22, 2005
  6. Howie

    Howie Guest

    I have a Realtek RTL8029 PCI Ethernet NIC installed... I should uninstall
    this network adapter? I believe a while back I tried that...

    I tried SFC checker as well, no luck...

    Howie, Feb 22, 2005
  7. Howie

    Howie Guest

    I tried another driver, it appeared to fix my problem....

    Howie, Feb 22, 2005
  8. Howie

    Plato Guest

    Howie wrote:

    > I tried another driver, it appeared to fix my problem....

    Where did you get the other driver?
    Plato, Feb 22, 2005
  9. Howie

    Howie Guest