No Internet Connection Between Router and Modem

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by danisgod@gmail.com, Aug 22, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    No Internet Dilemma!

    Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
    with his new home networking setup.
    All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
    wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
    modem.

    So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)

    Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave
    54gWireless 4-Port Cable Router
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218646&C=Maplin&U=Search...

    After hours of troubleshooting we finally reolised that the router
    wasn't picking up an internet connection from it cable modem.

    I'm all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this
    forums...

    Hope to hear from you all soon

    Thanks, Dan
    , Aug 22, 2007

  2. Hi
    I am not familiar with the UK systems.
    In the USA most cable Internet services need MAC address authentication.
    So Routers as to be set for it see here,
    http://www.ezlan.net/broadband.html
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Aug 22, 2007

  3. Barb Bowman Guest

    It may be as simple as rebooting the 4200 (unplug it and plug it
    back in). Or, if your provider requires a specific mac address,
    assuming that the desktop was directly connected to the 4200 prior
    to getting the router, you should be able to "clone" the mac address
    of the desktop into the new router.

    --

    Barb Bowman
    MS Windows-MVP