No Internet Connection Between Router and Modem

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by danisgod@gmail.com, Aug 21, 2007.

  1. Guest

    Hello,

    No Internet Dilemma!

    Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
    with his new home networking setup.
    All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
    wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
    modem.

    So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)

    Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g
    Wireless 4-Port Cable Router
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218646&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=ROUTER&doy=21m8

    So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic Windows
    Vistas due to its unreliability we finally reolised that the router
    wasnt picking
    up an internet connection from it cable modem.

    Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...

    Hope to hear from you all soon

    Thanks, Dan
    , Aug 21, 2007

  2. doS Guest

    try connecting the modem directly to the laptop

    doS, Aug 22, 2007

  3. Guest

    On 22 Aug, 00:13, "doS" <> wrote:
    > try connecting the modem directly to the laptop
    >
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hello,

    > > No Internet Dilemma!

    > > Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
    > > with his new home networking setup.
    > > All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
    > > wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
    > > modem.

    > > So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)

    > > Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g
    > > Wireless 4-Port Cable Router
    > >http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218646&C=Maplin&U=Search...

    > > So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic Windows
    > > Vistas due to its unreliability we finally reolised that the router
    > > wasnt picking
    > > up an internet connection from it cable modem.

    > > Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...

    > > Hope to hear from you all soon

    > > Thanks, Dan

    Ive tried that, the modem works perfectly
    , Aug 22, 2007
  4. doS Guest

    then the router is bad...

    doS, Aug 22, 2007
  5. Jess Pezy Guest

    On Aug 21, 4:18 pm, wrote:
    > On 22 Aug, 00:13, "doS" <> wrote:
    >

    > > try connecting the modem directly to the laptop

    > > <> wrote in message

    > > > Hello,

    > > > No Internet Dilemma!

    > > > Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
    > > > with his new home networking setup.
    > > > All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
    > > > wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
    > > > modem.

    > > > So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)

    > > > Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g
    > > > Wireless 4-Port Cable Router
    > > >http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218646&C=Maplin&U=Search...

    > > > So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic Windows
    > > > Vistas due to its unreliability we finally reolised that the router
    > > > wasnt picking
    > > > up an internet connection from it cable modem.

    > > > Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...

    > > > Hope to hear from you all soon

    > > > Thanks, Dan

    > Ive tried that, the modem works perfectly

    Whos your ISP?? Depending on the ISP some providers have special
    configurations that have to be done so the modem can pass the IP
    configuration to the router. For example when i had adelphia, they had
    a special configuration where i had to clone the MAC address of the
    modem into the router in order to obtain an internet connection. Try
    contacting your ISP to find out if the modem is acting like a router,
    if so ask them how to turn the modem into a bridge and let the router
    be the router.
    Jess Pezy, Aug 22, 2007
  6. Top Guest

    wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > No Internet Dilemma!
    >
    > Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
    > with his new home networking setup.
    > All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
    > wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
    > modem.
    >
    > So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)
    >
    > Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g
    > Wireless 4-Port Cable Router
    > http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218646&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=ROUTER&doy=21m8
    >
    > So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic Windows
    > Vistas due to its unreliability we finally reolised that the router
    > wasnt picking
    > up an internet connection from it cable modem.
    >
    > Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...
    >
    > Hope to hear from you all soon
    >
    > Thanks, Dan

    Don't know how yours goes but here's my setup: Cable from cable modem to
    router, cable from router to desktop, wireless to other computer.
    Desktop is Vista and other computer is setup with XP PRO SP2. Works well
    for my uses here. Hope you get yours sorted.

    Top
    Top, Aug 22, 2007
  7. Eugene Maes Guest

    It maybe as simply as your router using the same ip address as your isp. I
    had this problem with a friend linksys router. By default it uses
    198.162.1.1 which cause a conflicted. On your desktop computer choose the
    run option from the start menu and type ipconfig and make up the computer is
    connected directly to the modem. Write down the response, then connect the
    desktop to the router and follow the same procedure. If the router is using
    the same ip address, you will need to change the router's ip address and the
    manufacturer can assist you.

    gene

    Eugene Maes, Aug 22, 2007
  8. why? Guest

    On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:50:10 -0000, wrote:

    >Hello,
    >
    >No Internet Dilemma!
    >
    >Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
    >with his new home networking setup.
    >All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
    >wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
    >modem.
    >
    >So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)
    >
    >Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g
    >Wireless 4-Port Cable Router
    >http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218646&C=Maplin&U=SearchTop&T=ROUTER&doy=21m8

    Don't forget to give the model number, it helps to find the router on
    the manufacturer site, you know the sort of thing, azure support, azure
    faq and azure manuals.

    http://www.azurewave.com/product_AW-GR520_1.asp

    You haven't said if you can connect to the router setup pages.

    Didn't mention what ISP. BY at 1 point needed a device name in the
    router.

    >So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic Windows
    >Vistas due to its unreliability we finally reolised that the router

    Works fine, straight out the box, connected to LAN and the PCs on my
    setup and Internet access worked 1st time.

    >wasnt picking
    >up an internet connection from it cable modem.

    Then it's assumed you got into the config pages.

    >Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...

    Also assumed it's a good cable from the modem to the router, you get the
    link LED lit and maybe traffic.

    >Hope to hear from you all soon
    >
    >Thanks, Dan

    Me
    why?, Aug 22, 2007
  9. Guest

    On Aug 22, 10:19 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    > On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:50:10 -0000, wrote:
    > >Hello,

    > >No Internet Dilemma!

    > >Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
    > >with his new home networking setup.
    > >All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
    > >wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
    > >modem.

    > >So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)

    > >Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g
    > >Wireless 4-Port Cable Router
    > >http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218646&C=Maplin&U=Search...

    > Don't forget to give the model number, it helps to find the router on
    > the manufacturer site, you know the sort of thing, azure support, azure
    > faq and azure manuals.
    >
    > http://www.azurewave.com/product_AW-GR520_1.asp
    >
    > You haven't said if you can connect to the router setup pages.
    >
    > Didn't mention what ISP. BY at 1 point needed a device name in the
    > router.
    >
    > >So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic Windows
    > >Vistas due to its unreliability we finally reolised that the router

    > Works fine, straight out the box, connected to LAN and the PCs on my
    > setup and Internet access worked 1st time.
    >
    > >wasnt picking
    > >up an internet connection from it cable modem.

    > Then it's assumed you got into the config pages.
    >
    > >Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...

    > Also assumed it's a good cable from the modem to the router, you get the
    > link LED lit and maybe traffic.
    >
    > >Hope to hear from you all soon

    > >Thanks, Dan

    > Me

    Thanks for your response.

    The Cable Internet provider that he is with is Virgin Media.
    We did manage to get into the Routers Setup Page on 192.168.0.1 and
    everything was within the setup menus.

    I have considered a number of things since last night on what the
    matter could be

    1. Virgin Cable might have it so you can only connect to the internet
    via only your MAC address.
    2. MAC Cloning might also be an option, yet didnt succesfully work
    when I tried lastnight
    , Aug 22, 2007
  10. why? Guest

    On Wed, 22 Aug 2007 03:57:24 -0700, wrote:

    >On Aug 22, 10:19 am, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:
    >> On Tue, 21 Aug 2007 22:50:10 -0000, wrote:
    >> >Hello,

    >> >No Internet Dilemma!

    >> >Ive been trying to help my friend out for the last couple of nights
    >> >with his new home networking setup.
    >> >All he wants is to connect to the internet via his laptop over
    >> >wireless while having his home desktop PC hooked up to the cable
    >> >modem.

    >> >So we have the basic bog standard setup (or so id think)

    >> >Internet --- MOTOROLA SB4200 SURFboard cable modem --- AzureWave 54g
    >> >Wireless 4-Port Cable Router
    >> >http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218646&C=Maplin&U=Search...

    >> Don't forget to give the model number, it helps to find the router on
    >> the manufacturer site, you know the sort of thing, azure support, azure
    >> faq and azure manuals.
    >>
    >> http://www.azurewave.com/product_AW-GR520_1.asp
    >>
    >> You haven't said if you can connect to the router setup pages.
    >>
    >> Didn't mention what ISP. BY at 1 point needed a device name in the
    >> router.
    >>
    >> >So After hours of troubleshooting at getting idiotic Windows
    >> >Vistas due to its unreliability we finally reolised that the router

    >> Works fine, straight out the box, connected to LAN and the PCs on my
    >> setup and Internet access worked 1st time.
    >>
    >> >wasnt picking
    >> >up an internet connection from it cable modem.

    >> Then it's assumed you got into the config pages.
    >>
    >> >Im all out of ideas now and thought id try my luck with this forums...

    >> Also assumed it's a good cable from the modem to the router, you get the
    >> link LED lit and maybe traffic.
    >>
    >> >Hope to hear from you all soon

    >> >Thanks, Dan

    >> Me

    >Thanks for your response.
    >
    >The Cable Internet provider that he is with is Virgin Media.
    >We did manage to get into the Routers Setup Page on 192.168.0.1 and
    >everything was within the setup menus.

    So did it display blanks for the ISP obtained settings?

    If there is a setting to give the router a name, then enter something.
    My very old Netgear RT314 is link01 and the old belkin is link02. I
    don't know if that's a requirement still naving never removed the names.
    It didn't work if not set.

    >I have considered a number of things since last night on what the
    >matter could be

    If you do

    PC-modem and it works fine. Then when you setup PC-router-modem you need
    to reboot the modem, remove power for a few seconds.

    If you remove the router, power cycle the modem.

    >1. Virgin Cable might have it so you can only connect to the internet
    >via only your MAC address.

    Mot any more, TW/BY stopped that years ago. The MAC of the CM is the
    registered device.

    >2. MAC Cloning might also be an option, yet didnt succesfully work
    >when I tried lastnight

    Don't go there, oops too late. Besides it's not needed.

    Me
    why?, Aug 22, 2007