    Visit my websites at
    www.justjents.co.uk
    www.recumbent.50megs.com
    geepeetee, Oct 4, 2006

  2. Hi
    It depends on what you call: "we could connect to the network connected to
    the Network".
    If the indication that you can connect to the Network is the presence of the
    signal in the Wireless connection Icon, than you probably are Not actually
    connected.
    Switch of the security make sure that every thing works. Switch on the
    security on the Router generate a WEP key, and copy the hex string to the
    Wireless computers WEP menu, use the actual hex key not the pass.
    Jack (MVP-Networking).

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Oct 4, 2006

  3. geepeetee

    David Hettel Guest

    The strength of the signal does not relate directly to if you are connected
    or not. If you do | Start (menu) | Run | CMD [Enter] | ipconfig /all [Enter]
    | is your wireless card getting an IP address that starts with a
    169.xxx.xxx.xxx ? If so you are not connect. My experience is with WEP that
    passwords must be entered as hex strings, and not as pass words as Jack has
    stated. This is especially true when using different brands of wireless
    products. As there is more than one way of turning a password into a key.

    --
    David Hettel

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com

    confers no rights

    David Hettel, Oct 4, 2006
  4. geepeetee

    RJK Guest

    ....in addition FWIW ,(and not to do with security), ... manually entering
    the hex. looking MAC address of, for example my Dads' PC downstairs with a
    PCI WMP54g in it, into my WAG354g router MAC address table would not work -
    the router only seems happy if it can generate, or auto detect, those
    addresses itself.
    ....and I wasn't entering the - (dashes) ...and I was entering a zero for 0
    and not an O !! :)

    regards, Richard

    RJK, Oct 6, 2006