    Default Gateway: 192.168.2,1
    DNS Server 192.168.2.1

    Any help with this problem would be appreciated. Thanks.

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVuIEZpc2g=?=, Jun 28, 2005

  2. Your DNS is the problem. Unless you have a really wierd router that is a true
    DNS server. You should be using the DNS address that your ISP has provided.

    As far as your automatic settings, you probably don't have your router set
    to act as a DHCP server so its fine to just use manual.

    --
    Fritz
    Computer type person

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJpdHo=?=, Jun 28, 2005

  3. =?Utf-8?B?TGVuIEZpc2g=?=

    DKI Guest

    That if you read what he posted is wrong, they work with XP Pro and at first
    did work with X64 but now don't. so that rules out the router and is a
    setting or service in windows that is the problem more likely

    DKI, Jun 29, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?TGVuIEZpc2g=?=

    DKI Guest

    Is there anything you changed or settings you altered before it it stopped
    working in XP X64?

    DKI, Jun 29, 2005
  5. What machine/motherboard are you using. Do you have access from 64-bit IE? Or
    no access from either 32-bit or 64-bit IE when running x64 Edition?

    --
    Charlie.
    http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 29, 2005
  6. DKI,

    Your telling me you set your router to itself for the DNS? How are you
    writing your response then?
    If you have a network with a DNS server, you have the network point to the
    DNS server. THEN you set the DNS server to point OUTSIDE of the network (i.e.
    your ISP's DNS server). If you do not have a DNS server in your network, you
    point all the systems in the network to a DNS server outside of the network.
    This is networking 101. Thats how it works, its like a big giant tree with
    leaves, and bigger and bigger branches until you get to the trunk.

    His DNS setting is the same as his gateway. That is the problem.
    Your ISP gives you DNS addresses for a reason. Its so you can actually
    resolve to outside of your network. Otherwise your going to be stuck at the
    command prompt for a while.

    --
    Fritz
    Computer type person

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJpdHo=?=, Jun 29, 2005
  7. =?Utf-8?B?TGVuIEZpc2g=?=

    DKI Guest

    If that was the case with his why would one OS be getting out without any
    problems and not the other on the same settings as the other on the same
    machine

    That is how mine is set, and i am using a router,

    IP Address: 192.168.2.2
    Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    DNS Server 192.168.2.1

    And it works and had no problems, cause the belkin router automaticly gets
    the DNS address from the ISP to pass on to the machines.

    DKI, Jun 29, 2005
  8. If it was "automatically" passing it to the machines then he would have it
    set to automatic instead of typing in those settings. If he's typing in those
    settings he is using the manual mode.

    Also, in automatic mode it "passes" the settings it gets from the DNS, it
    doesn't tell him to point towards itself. You are still thinking of DHCP.
    --
    Fritz
    Computer type person

    =?Utf-8?B?RnJpdHo=?=, Jun 29, 2005
  9. "Charlie Russel - MVP" wrote:

    > What machine/motherboard are you using. Do you have access from 64-bit IE? Or
    > no access from either 32-bit or 64-bit IE when running x64 Edition?
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://www.msmvps.com/xperts64/
    >

    > Len Fish wrote:
    > > I recently installed Windows x64 without problem and now have a dual
    > > boot system with XP Pro on a separate partition. At first the
    > > internet connection worked fine on both OS's but now I cannot connect
    > > when using x64 (although still OK on XP Pro). I connect via a Belkin
    > > ADSL wireless router which can find the network (but not connect to
    > > the internet) when using manual settings but cannot find the network
    > > when using automatic connection (cannot rtenew IP adddress). The
    > > manual settings I have used for X64 are the same as those used
    > > (and which work) for XP pro:
    > >
    > > IP Address: 192.168.2.3
    > > Subnet mask: 255.255.255.0
    > > Default Gateway: 192.168.2,1
    > > DNS Server 192.168.2.1
    > >
    > > Any help with this problem would be appreciated. Thanks.

    > Thanks all but the problem remains.

    My system comprises an Athlon 64 3500 processor on an Asus A8N-SLI De Luxe
    motherboard. No internet connection is available on either 32 or 64 bit IE.
    On initial install of Windows x64 an internet connection was (automatically)
    available and although I have not changed any settings, on a subsequent later
    re-boot the internet connection was lost. The system is unable to obtain an
    IP address automatically (although Windows XP Pro can) but I can connect to
    the network (but not the internet) using manual settings. The Belkin ADSL
    router is set as a DHCP server and is also set to obtain my ISP’s DNS address
    automatically.

    I am at a loss to understand why the internet connection works perfectly
    with this set up on XP Pro, but fails to do so on x64 using the same
    settings, router and network card on the same system.

    Len

    =?Utf-8?B?TGVuIEZpc2g=?=, Jun 29, 2005
  10. The built in NVIDIA firewall is almost certainly to blame. Install it if you
    haven't already installed it, and then uninstall it. That should do the
    trick.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 30, 2005