No Icons on Desktop !! HELP !

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by pg, Jan 22, 2009.

  1. pg

    pg Guest

    My sister's computer has a very weird problem.

    The PC boots up okay, until it displays the wallpaper, and then it
    stops.

    No icon, no taskbar, no nothing.

    I can move the mouse pointer, but clicking on the mouth, whether it be
    the right button or left button, nothing.

    Hitting the "ctrl-alt-del" keys also nothing. No task manager,
    nothing.

    The PC just stuck on the wallpaper. NOTHING.

    So I reboot the PC, and go into the safe mode.

    It boots until the agp400.sys (or something about AGP) and then it
    stops.

    Nothing, absolutely NOTHING.

    I don't know what is wrong.

    Is it the HD? Or is it the software?

    Is there a possibility that a virus or malware cause this problem??

    Please help.

    The PC specs as follow:

    P4 machine. 2.6GHz. 2GB of RAM and 160 GB of HD.

    Thanks advance for your help !!

    pg, Jan 22, 2009

  2. pg mourned:

    > My sister's computer has a very weird problem.
    >
    > The PC boots up okay, until it displays the wallpaper, and then it
    > stops.
    >
    > No icon, no taskbar, no nothing.
    >
    > I can move the mouse pointer, but clicking on the mouth, whether it be
    > the right button or left button, nothing.
    >
    > Hitting the "ctrl-alt-del" keys also nothing. No task manager,
    > nothing.
    >
    > The PC just stuck on the wallpaper. NOTHING.
    >
    > So I reboot the PC, and go into the safe mode.
    >
    > It boots until the agp400.sys (or something about AGP) and then it
    > stops.
    >
    > Nothing, absolutely NOTHING.
    >
    > I don't know what is wrong.
    >
    > Is it the HD? Or is it the software?
    >
    > Is there a possibility that a virus or malware cause this problem??
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > The PC specs as follow:
    >
    > P4 machine. 2.6GHz. 2GB of RAM and 160 GB of HD.
    >
    > Thanks advance for your help !!

    *PLONK*

    <Aside: I'm not getting drawn on that rubbish ROFL - a tad more subtlety
    needed for a bite>

    Prabhukumar-bakhsh Sanigepalli, Jan 22, 2009

  3. pg

    Sinner Guest

    "Prabhukumar-bakhsh Sanigepalli" <> wrote in message

    > *PLONK*

    *Ditto*

    Sinner, Jan 22, 2009
  4. pg

    donald huang Guest

    Did your sister just installed a new graphic card/video card? I suggest you
    to unplug it and use the integrated one and try to boot your machine or try
    the last known good configuration or even perform a system restore. You can
    check with the OEM of your devices to see whether everything should be
    working together and whether all the drivers are right.

    donald

    donald huang, Jan 22, 2009
  5. pg

    Rabid Dog Guest

    pg wrote:
    > My sister's computer has a very weird problem.
    >
    > The PC boots up okay, until it displays the wallpaper, and then it
    > stops.
    >
    > No icon, no taskbar, no nothing.
    >
    > I can move the mouse pointer, but clicking on the mouth, whether it be
    > the right button or left button, nothing.
    >
    > Hitting the "ctrl-alt-del" keys also nothing. No task manager,
    > nothing.
    >
    > The PC just stuck on the wallpaper. NOTHING.
    >
    > So I reboot the PC, and go into the safe mode.
    >
    > It boots until the agp400.sys (or something about AGP) and then it
    > stops.
    >
    > Nothing, absolutely NOTHING.
    >
    > I don't know what is wrong.
    >
    > Is it the HD? Or is it the software?
    >
    > Is there a possibility that a virus or malware cause this problem??
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > The PC specs as follow:
    >
    > P4 machine. 2.6GHz. 2GB of RAM and 160 GB of HD.
    >
    > Thanks advance for your help !!

    Try booting VGA mode.

    Rabid Dog, Jan 22, 2009
  6. pg

    Woody Guest

    Press F8 and on the selection screen select boot in VGA mode. If it comes up
    uninstall the video drivers and reinstall the correct drivers for your card.

    Woody, Jan 25, 2009
  7. pg

    Big John Guest

    pg wrote:
    > My sister's computer has a very weird problem.
    >
    > The PC boots up okay, until it displays the wallpaper, and then it
    > stops.
    >
    > No icon, no taskbar, no nothing.
    >
    > I can move the mouse pointer, but clicking on the mouth, whether it be
    > the right button or left button, nothing.
    >
    > Hitting the "ctrl-alt-del" keys also nothing. No task manager,
    > nothing.
    >
    > The PC just stuck on the wallpaper. NOTHING.
    >
    > So I reboot the PC, and go into the safe mode.
    >
    > It boots until the agp400.sys (or something about AGP) and then it
    > stops.
    >
    > Nothing, absolutely NOTHING.
    >
    > I don't know what is wrong.
    >
    > Is it the HD? Or is it the software?
    >
    > Is there a possibility that a virus or malware cause this problem??
    >
    > Please help.
    >
    > The PC specs as follow:
    >
    > P4 machine. 2.6GHz. 2GB of RAM and 160 GB of HD.
    >
    > Thanks advance for your help !!

    To get your desktop icons back in XP, right click anywhere on screen,
    select "Arrange Icons by" then left click on " Show Desktop Icons"

    Big John, Jan 30, 2009
  8. pg

    Sinner Guest

    "Big John" <> wrote in message
    > pg wrote:
    >> My sister's computer has a very weird problem.

    Wouldn't you think that anyone that can find this many groups to cross-post
    to could find his answer on Google. The OP is troll.

    Sinner, Jan 30, 2009
  9. pg

    thanatoid Guest

    pg <> wrote in
    oups.com:

    > My sister's computer has a very weird problem.
    >
    > The PC boots up okay, until it displays the wallpaper, and
    > then it stops.
    >
    > No icon, no taskbar, no nothing.
    >
    > I can move the mouse pointer, but clicking on the mouth,
    > whether it be the right button or left button, nothing.
    >
    > Hitting the "ctrl-alt-del" keys also nothing. No task
    > manager, nothing.
    >
    > The PC just stuck on the wallpaper. NOTHING.
    >
    > So I reboot the PC, and go into the safe mode.
    >
    > It boots until the agp400.sys (or something about AGP) and
    > then it stops.

    <SNIP>

    Read a few of these to start off. I can't help you anymore, I
    use older OS's, but I don't think you're a troll.

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=agp400.sys

    --
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are."
    Anais Nin

    thanatoid, Jan 30, 2009