NO HDTV DVD format!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by GMAN, Oct 28, 2003.

  1. GMAN

    GMAN Guest

    GMAN, Oct 28, 2003

  2. GMAN <> wrote:
    > http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8300

    That's not "*no* HDTV DVD," that's just "not yet."

    doug

    --

    ---------------Douglas Bailey ()---------------
    I can't see the lines I used to think I could read between...

    Douglas Bailey, Oct 28, 2003

  3. GMAN

    TCS Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 04:17:33 GMT, GMAN <> wrote:
    >http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8300

    HDTV requires at least 4 times the data storage.

    There won't be a HDTV-DVD discs until there are HDTV-DVD drives to go along
    with them.

    TCS, Oct 28, 2003
  4. On 28 Oct 2003 13:56:21 GMT, TCS
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 04:17:33 GMT, GMAN <> wrote:
    >>http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8300

    >HDTV requires at least 4 times the data storage.
    >
    >There won't be a HDTV-DVD discs until there are HDTV-DVD drives to go along
    >with them.

    Well, Blue laserr or most likely high-density Red laser drives are
    about to hit the market, and HD-DVD standards are under review, so
    it's not far off....

    . Steve .

    Steve(JazzHunter), Oct 28, 2003
  5. Grand Inquisitor, Oct 29, 2003
  6. GMAN

    TCS Guest

    On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 11:08:21 -0500, Steve(JazzHunter) <> wrote:
    >On 28 Oct 2003 13:56:21 GMT, TCS
    ><> wrote:

    >>On Tue, 28 Oct 2003 04:17:33 GMT, GMAN <> wrote:
    >>>http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8300

    >>HDTV requires at least 4 times the data storage.
    >>
    >>There won't be a HDTV-DVD discs until there are HDTV-DVD drives to go along
    >>with them.

    >Well, Blue laserr or most likely high-density Red laser drives are
    >about to hit the market, and HD-DVD standards are under review, so
    >it's not far off....

    no doubt.

    I hope HDTV isn't the end of the road for home viewing. It's twice as sharp
    as NTSC, but it is still crap compared to film.

    TCS, Oct 29, 2003
  7. Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    > GMAN wrote:
    >
    >> http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8300

    > I don't really think this means anything. The Forum isn't a governing
    > body, this is a free market.

    If there is a format war the consumer loses until there is a single
    format that survives. Sometimes (AM-Stereo) there are no winners at all.

    Matthew

    --
    <http://www.mlmartin.com/bbq/>

    Thermodynamics For Dummies: You can't win.
    You can't break even.
    You can't get out of the game.

    Matthew L. Martin, Nov 2, 2003

  8. > http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8300

    Thanks for the blast from the past. I had almost forgotten all about Divx.
    Oh, wait a second, they're talking about a proposed *new* version.

    What was that about those who forget about the past are condemned to repeat
    it?

    Just because the forum specs it, don't expect eDVD to take off based on the
    handful of idiots willing to connect their players to the Net so they can
    phone home to allow them to play the title they purchased.

    My favorite:
    "The DVD Forum, the body that oversees the DVD specification, has decided to
    stick with red laser technology and current storage capacities rather than
    make the move to blue light and more capacious discs."

    You mean the DVD Forum isn't going to violate the copyrights and patents of
    Blu-Ray?

    MR_ED_of_Course, Nov 3, 2003
  9. GMAN

    GMAN Guest

    In article <BBCB1728.2534C%>, MR_ED_of_Course <> wrote:

    >> http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8300

    >Thanks for the blast from the past. I had almost forgotten all about Divx.
    >Oh, wait a second, they're talking about a proposed *new* version.
    >
    >What was that about those who forget about the past are condemned to repeat
    >it?
    >
    >Just because the forum specs it, don't expect eDVD to take off based on the
    >handful of idiots willing to connect their players to the Net so they can
    >phone home to allow them to play the title they purchased.
    >
    >My favorite:
    >"The DVD Forum, the body that oversees the DVD specification, has decided to
    >stick with red laser technology and current storage capacities rather than
    >make the move to blue light and more capacious discs."
    >
    >You mean the DVD Forum isn't going to violate the copyrights and patents of
    >Blu-Ray?

    No, what i am afraid of is the powers that be wont support the Blue Ray
    standard like they all have on the DVD standard.

    GMAN, Nov 3, 2003
  10. in article bo4lfc$el2$, GMAN at
    wrote on 11/2/03 8:26 PM:

    > In article <BBCB1728.2534C%>, MR_ED_of_Course
    > <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/8300

    >> Thanks for the blast from the past. I had almost forgotten all about Divx.
    >> Oh, wait a second, they're talking about a proposed *new* version.
    >>
    >> What was that about those who forget about the past are condemned to repeat
    >> it?
    >>
    >> Just because the forum specs it, don't expect eDVD to take off based on the
    >> handful of idiots willing to connect their players to the Net so they can
    >> phone home to allow them to play the title they purchased.
    >>
    >> My favorite:
    >> "The DVD Forum, the body that oversees the DVD specification, has decided to
    >> stick with red laser technology and current storage capacities rather than
    >> make the move to blue light and more capacious discs."
    >>
    >> You mean the DVD Forum isn't going to violate the copyrights and patents of
    >> Blu-Ray?
    >>

    > No, what i am afraid of is the powers that be wont support the Blue Ray
    > standard like they all have on the DVD standard.

    These are the founders of Blu-Ray:
    Hitachi, Ltd.
    LG Electronics Inc.
    Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
    Pioneer Corporation
    Royal Philips Electronics
    Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
    Sharp Corporation
    Sony Corporation
    Thomson Multimedia

    That pretty much covers the hardware powers that be and some of the content.
    You can also count on support from Warner Bros. The rest will fall in line
    just like they did with DVD.

    MR_ED_of_Course, Nov 3, 2003
  11. On Mon, 03 Nov 2003 05:18:45 GMT, MR_ED_of_Course
    <> wrote:

    >in article bo4lfc$el2$, GMAN at
    > wrote on 11/2/03 8:26 PM:

    >>> Thanks for the blast from the past. I had almost forgotten all about Divx.
    >>> Oh, wait a second, they're talking about a proposed *new* version.
    >>>
    >>> What was that about those who forget about the past are condemned to repeat
    >>> it?
    >>>
    >>> Just because the forum specs it, don't expect eDVD to take off based on the
    >>> handful of idiots willing to connect their players to the Net so they can
    >>> phone home to allow them to play the title they purchased.
    >>>
    >>> My favorite:
    >>> "The DVD Forum, the body that oversees the DVD specification, has decided to
    >>> stick with red laser technology and current storage capacities rather than
    >>> make the move to blue light and more capacious discs."
    >>>
    >>> You mean the DVD Forum isn't going to violate the copyrights and patents of
    >>> Blu-Ray?
    >>>

    >> No, what i am afraid of is the powers that be wont support the Blue Ray
    >> standard like they all have on the DVD standard.

    >These are the founders of Blu-Ray:
    >Hitachi, Ltd.
    >LG Electronics Inc.
    >Matsushita Electric Industrial Co., Ltd.
    >Pioneer Corporation
    >Royal Philips Electronics
    >Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd.
    >Sharp Corporation
    >Sony Corporation
    >Thomson Multimedia
    >
    >That pretty much covers the hardware powers that be and some of the content.
    >You can also count on support from Warner Bros. The rest will fall in line
    >just like they did with DVD.

    Warners is solidly behind a red laser format, they won't fall in
    unless Blu-Ray takes off. At this point however, there will cony\tinue
    to be battles, Toshiba/NEC have a blue laser format that they are
    developing, it was rejected by the DVD forum mostly due to a good
    chunk of the voting members being behind Blu-Ray, The Blu-Ray
    syndicate doesn't really want a hi-ef DVD format, they want a
    proprietary format that allows more control over the patents and
    software licensing, Sony's domination of the A/V market is slipping,
    and they are cutting jobs left, right and centre. They are looking for
    a profitable patent to licemse, having Blu-Ray under the aegis of the
    DVD forum doesn't allow Sony to have as much control as they would
    like. Unfortunatly, the concentration of the Blu-Ray members means
    that an HD-DVD will be continually voted down as Sony develops
    Blu-Ray, Toshiba and Warner Bros. will work at the other formats, and
    offer cheap or free licensing to software companies to establish their
    formats.

    It is likely going to be an ugly battle in the HD optical format wars,
    Sony just doesn't like to be onside with other developers (Beta,
    Mini-Disc, refusal to make DLP equipment, SACD and so on) they want to
    be the controlling interest in any new formats (not saying that
    Blu-Ray or Beta or SACD aren't good things, only that Sony has
    historically tried to control the development of new formats, they may
    well win this one, as the Blu-Ray group has a majority of DVD forum
    votes,

    Grant Kinsley MD

    The Mad Doctor, Nov 4, 2003
  12. GMAN

    poldy Guest

    In article <>,
    (The Mad Doctor) wrote:

    > Warners is solidly behind a red laser format, they won't fall in
    > unless Blu-Ray takes off. At this point however, there will cony\tinue
    > to be battles, Toshiba/NEC have a blue laser format that they are
    > developing, it was rejected by the DVD forum mostly due to a good
    > chunk of the voting members being behind Blu-Ray, The Blu-Ray
    > syndicate doesn't really want a hi-ef DVD format, they want a
    > proprietary format that allows more control over the patents and
    > software licensing, Sony's domination of the A/V market is slipping,
    > and they are cutting jobs left, right and centre. They are looking for
    > a profitable patent to licemse, having Blu-Ray under the aegis of the
    > DVD forum doesn't allow Sony to have as much control as they would
    > like. Unfortunatly, the concentration of the Blu-Ray members means
    > that an HD-DVD will be continually voted down as Sony develops
    > Blu-Ray, Toshiba and Warner Bros. will work at the other formats, and
    > offer cheap or free licensing to software companies to establish their
    > formats.

    I thought Warner shares in the patent for the current format. Unless
    they get patent revenues in any new format, they probably won't support
    it. Didn't they let Liebfarb go however? And Liebfarb was the one who
    pushed DVD at Warners when the other studios held back.

    No new format is going to work unless you get at least a couple of
    studios to release content. Disney and others only jumped in when they
    saw that the original studios were making a lot of money at it.

    > It is likely going to be an ugly battle in the HD optical format wars,
    > Sony just doesn't like to be onside with other developers (Beta,
    > Mini-Disc, refusal to make DLP equipment, SACD and so on) they want to
    > be the controlling interest in any new formats (not saying that
    > Blu-Ray or Beta or SACD aren't good things, only that Sony has
    > historically tried to control the development of new formats, they may
    > well win this one, as the Blu-Ray group has a majority of DVD forum
    > votes,

    If Sony holds out, they're only going to lose. All their proprietary
    formats have lost in the marketplace, regardless of their technical
    merits. Hell even their movie studio may not support Blue Ray, given
    the internal struggles they had with MP3s.

    Are there even prerecorded content in Blue Ray yet?

    poldy, Nov 4, 2003