    "The blues isn't about feeling better. It's about making other
    people feel WORSE, and making a few bucks while you're at it."

    Now playing: "Opeth - The Baying of the Hounds"
    Tarkus, Aug 2, 2006

  2. Tarkus <> wrote:

    >"Quite frankly, I don't believe there is a format war"

    This announcement came as quite a shock--since Fox is solely supporting
    Blu-Ray, everyone had expected him to say something good about HD_DVD.
    Kimba W. Lion, Aug 2, 2006

  3. Tarkus wrote:
    > "Quite frankly, I don't believe there is a format war," said Mike Dunn,
    > president of Fox Home Entertainment, who are solely supporting Blu-ray.
    > "The HD DVD camp hasn't brought in enough consoles to form a beachhead. I
    > don't believe they intend to do so. We'll see Blu-ray start to take hold
    > this year."
    >
    > http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...Studio_Execs_Weigh_in_on_High-Defs_Future/156

    Isn't this the same studio that signed on for Divx and D-VHS? I don't
    have an opinion about either HD-DVD OR Blu-Ray; but, based solely on
    Fox's track record in the predictions department, one might worry about
    Blu-Ray's future. :)

    Well, whaddaya know? War WAS the answer, after all. Go figure.

    A lone Micronaut lost in a world of Star Wars action figures,
    (The Excessively Parenthetical) Geena-- Worrier Princess

    "Reciprocity... is the key to every relationship."
    --LAPD Capt. Dudley Smith (James Cromwell), in L.A. Confidential

    "Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be famous for fifteen
    minutes. The unfortunate corollary is that everyone will also appear in
    a Freddie Prinze, Jr. movie for fifteen minutes."
    --me

    "This is like driving a Rolls Royce, naked, in mink underpants."
    --Tony Bourdain

    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline - it
    but at the very least you need a beer."
    -- Frank Zappa

    "I'm not sayin' it's the best thing in the world FOR ya; I'm just sayin'
    it's the best thing in the world."
    -- Alton Brown

    "The most preposterous notion that H. sapiens has ever dreamed up is
    that the Lord God of Creation, Shaper and Ruler of all the Universes,
    wants the saccharine adoration of His creatures, can be swayed by their
    prayers, and becomes petulant if He does not receive this flattery. Yet
    this absurd fantasy, without a shred of evidence to bolster it, pays all
    the expenses of the oldest, largest, and least productive industry in
    all history."
    -- Robert Heinlein
    Geena Phillips, Aug 2, 2006
  4. Geena Phillips wrote:

    > Tarkus wrote:
    >
    >> "Quite frankly, I don't believe there is a format war," said Mike Dunn,
    >> president of Fox Home Entertainment, who are solely supporting Blu-ray.
    >> "The HD DVD camp hasn't brought in enough consoles to form a beachhead. I
    >> don't believe they intend to do so. We'll see Blu-ray start to take hold
    >> this year."
    >>
    >> http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...Studio_Execs_Weigh_in_on_High-Defs_Future/156
    >>

    > Isn't this the same studio that signed on for Divx and D-VHS? I don't
    > have an opinion about either HD-DVD OR Blu-Ray; but, based solely on
    > Fox's track record in the predictions department, one might worry about
    > Blu-Ray's future. :)

    Yes, *and* the other overpriced/bare-bones "$39 for a label"
    birth-of-DVD studio, during the days of the Disney Limited Editions...

    I don't know a thing about HD, but with statements like these, HD-DVD is
    starting to look better already.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, Aug 2, 2006
  5. Tarkus

    Guest

    dunn is spewing typical corporate bravado. no one knows which format
    will pan out; it's all pure speculation at this point.

    i must say that both discs hit the street way too early. there may be
    interest in them, but demand is a serious overstatement. consider the
    fraction of folks that have hd sets, then pare that down to those who
    actually have an hd signal feeding the unit. digerati aside, people
    will be hard pressed to find the benefits of either format.

    this format war has just begun and is likely to continue for quite some
    time. and let's not forget about fios' eventual offering of an hd
    on-demand catalog. don't get me wrong hd-dvd and blu-ray both look
    great, but i really do think the ce industry jumped the gun on this
    one, and they risk tanking both formats by not waiting for the public
    at-large to "get" hdtv and in turn get an hdtv.
    , Aug 2, 2006
  6. Tarkus

    David Z Guest

    "Geena Phillips" <> wrote in message
    > Tarkus wrote:
    >> "Quite frankly, I don't believe there is a format war," said Mike Dunn,
    >> president of Fox Home Entertainment, who are solely supporting Blu-ray.
    >> "The HD DVD camp hasn't brought in enough consoles to form a beachhead. I
    >> don't believe they intend to do so. We'll see Blu-ray start to take hold
    >> this year."
    >>
    >> http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/s...Studio_Execs_Weigh_in_on_High-Defs_Future/156

    > Isn't this the same studio that signed on for Divx and D-VHS? I don't have
    > an opinion about either HD-DVD OR Blu-Ray; but, based solely on Fox's
    > track record in the predictions department, one might worry about
    > Blu-Ray's future. :)

    FOX never commited to DVD until 1999. Same year as Paramount.
    David Z, Aug 2, 2006
  7. On 2 Aug 2006 01:15:38 -0700, Gave
    us:

    >i must say that both discs hit the street way too early. there may be
    >interest in them, but demand is a serious overstatement. consider the
    >fraction of folks that have hd sets, then pare that down to those who
    >actually have an hd signal feeding the unit. digerati aside, people
    >will be hard pressed to find the benefits of either format.

    That is stupid. If one HAS an HDTV set, the HD PLAYER WILL pass an
    HD signal to it.

    You have only parred down your brain.
    Phat Bytestard, Aug 2, 2006
  8. Tarkus

    Guest

    David Z wrote:
    > FOX never commited to DVD until 1999. Same year as Paramount.

    Took them two years to come onboard and their first releases were all
    shit, too. When it comes to technological predictions, Fox and
    Paramount are the Beavis and Butthead in the classroom.

    -Eric
    , Aug 7, 2006