    conflicting with DirectInput? Some people, like me, acctually do use their
    old SideWinder joysticks in some games! If not, can someone please give me
    some drivers that will enable my gameport?

    =?Utf-8?B?VHlsZXI=?=, Oct 11, 2005

  2. Unfortunately, drivers need to be 64bit, and so, needs to be re-written. As
    MS has seen it fit to discontinue the Sidewinders, they also are not likely
    to hire a bunch of programmers to do that. Pity though, the automobil
    industry commits to the production af spare parts (the complete catalog,
    mind you) for 15 - 25 years after production stops. In reality they sell off
    this responsibillity, but the production will continue.

    The only chance I know of, of obtaining one such driver would be to write it
    yourself - you could even use Linux's support to learn how it's done.
    Myself, I am dual-booting (of course) and most of the games where I use the
    Sidewinder will not run on Winx64 anyway. I miss it for the FS, but the
    Logitech is working.

    One other slim chance is - I have my port on my Creative Audigy card - since
    the port is also a Midi port there is a chance that you can have that
    supported sometime in the future, but for the Sidewinder? You'd still need
    the driver.

    Greetings, Tony. . .

    Tony Sperling, Oct 11, 2005

  3. Microsoft Sidewinder is not supported under Windows XP Professional x64, you
    can join the list of folks who are just as disappointed as you will be:
    http://www.planetamd64.com/lofiversion/index.php/t4437.html

    Fortunately of course, there is hope, Logitech has an alternative which is
    supported, the Extreme 3D Pro Twist Handle USB Joystick. It seems that
    Logitech is leading in hardware support for x64 and I want to encourage them
    to keep it up.
    http://www.logitech.com/index.cfm/products/details/US/EN,CRID=12,CONTENTID=6954
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 11, 2005
  4. =?Utf-8?B?VHlsZXI=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    I agree. I finally gave up on Microsoft and bought a Logitech keyboard and
    mouse. NEVER again Microsoft hardware, period.

    John Barnes, Oct 11, 2005
  5. Maybe they are holding out for Vista x64. :)

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 11, 2005
  6. =?Utf-8?B?VHlsZXI=?=

    John Barnes Guest

    It's without me. At this point, I don't have much interest in Vista anyway.

    John Barnes, Oct 11, 2005