No fun choosing between DMC-TZ1, Fuji F30 and DMC-FX01 - need your bias....

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Greg Loriman, Sep 8, 2006.

  1. Greg Loriman

    Greg Loriman Guest

    Hello excellent persons,

    I'm finding the decision between the three camera's above more than usually
    painful, and I can't afford to buy them all, or even two. Its rather like
    being dragged by three horses in opposing directions; if I were to
    exaggerate.

    The features I am coverting are the obvious (apart from each being quite
    small) :

    TMC-TZ1 : 10x optical zoom with OIS and anti-blur in a small space
    F30 : absurdly high ISO and decent images
    DMC-FX01 : wide-angle lense

    I'd love to know your opinion, particularly if you have experience of more
    than one of the above.

    These three camera's unique features balance against one another, and the
    prices are too close (even allowing for xD cards), so all I can hope is that
    something some says tips that balance. Perhaps just simply that one of them
    was more fun than the other.

    Help me in my predicament! My limbs are about to fall off.

    thanks

    Greg

    Greg Loriman, Sep 8, 2006

  2. Greg Loriman

    m Ransley Guest

    Re: No fun choosing between DMC-TZ1, Fuji F30 and DMC-FX01 - needy...

    What do you usualy photograph.

    m Ransley, Sep 8, 2006

  3. Greg Loriman

    Greg Loriman Guest

    "m Ransley" <> wrote in message
    > What do you usualy photograph.

    Thanks for the reply.

    A pertinant question, but I should have made more explicit in my original
    post that I am much more interested in subjective opinions than judgments
    taking into consideration my needs. I hope you'll agree with me that I am a
    better judge of other people's subjective opinion as applied to my needs
    than anyone else, other than God, of course.

    Greg

    Greg Loriman, Sep 8, 2006
  4. Greg Loriman

    ~~NoMad~~ Guest

    TZ1 is the best of the bunch.

    NM

    ~~NoMad~~, Sep 8, 2006
  5. Greg Loriman

    m Ransley Guest

    Re: No fun choosing between DMC-TZ1, Fuji F30 and DMC-FX01 - needy...

    It was a relavent question. the Fuji F30 will get you action shots it
    has the fastest sensor, Panasonic are noisy over 100asa, a telephoto is
    great for close ups, so you decide whats best, nobody else can since it
    depends on its use..

    m Ransley, Sep 8, 2006
  6. Re: No fun choosing between DMC-TZ1, Fuji F30 and DMC-FX01 - needy...

    >> What do you usualy photograph.
    >>

    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > A pertinant question, but I should have made more explicit in my original
    > post that I am much more interested in subjective opinions than judgments
    > taking into consideration my needs. I hope you'll agree with me that I am
    > a better judge of other people's subjective opinion as applied to my needs
    > than anyone else, other than God, of course.
    >
    > Greg

    Er, I *think* I've decoded that, but not sure!

    But what and how and when you photograph *is* relevant, because some of us
    may have one of the cameras you're interested in, and we know the pros and
    cons of the camera for various conditions. For example, I own an F30, and
    could rattle off pages of observations about it... if I had the time to do
    so. But with a bit more focus (so to speak), I could concentrate on
    something that's relevant to you.

    Battery life?
    Focus speed?
    Lens sharpness?
    Contrast issues?
    Memory card limitations?
    Durability of body?
    etc

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

    Mike Jacoubowsky, Sep 8, 2006
  7. Greg Loriman

    Bob Williams Guest

    Re: No fun choosing between DMC-TZ1, Fuji F30 and DMC-FX01 - needyour bias....

    Greg Loriman wrote:

    > Hello excellent persons,
    >
    > I'm finding the decision between the three camera's above more than usually
    > painful, and I can't afford to buy them all, or even two. Its rather like
    > being dragged by three horses in opposing directions; if I were to
    > exaggerate.
    >
    > The features I am coverting are the obvious (apart from each being quite
    > small) :
    >
    > TMC-TZ1 : 10x optical zoom with OIS and anti-blur in a small space
    > F30 : absurdly high ISO and decent images
    > DMC-FX01 : wide-angle lense
    >
    > I'd love to know your opinion, particularly if you have experience of more
    > than one of the above.
    >
    > These three camera's unique features balance against one another, and the
    > prices are too close (even allowing for xD cards), so all I can hope is that
    > something some says tips that balance. Perhaps just simply that one of them
    > was more fun than the other.
    >
    > Help me in my predicament! My limbs are about to fall off.
    >
    > thanks
    >
    > Greg

    I'd forger the Panny FX01.
    It's main "redeeming" feature is a slightly wider angle than the others.
    But this new WA lens isn't up to Leica's high standard.
    For a 6MP lens it is not very sharp.
    See: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx01/page8.asp
    The F10 used in this comparison has been replaced by the F30 which is
    even more full featured and sharper than the F10.
    See: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf30/page8.asp
    So it boils down to this.
    10X zoom vs 3x zoom......Advantage Panny
    Low noise images from indoor low light shots.....Advantage Fuji
    "Gain Up" of Viewing Screen in low light scenes.....Advantage Fuji
    Although I am a great fan of Panny EVF Superzooms / Leica Lenses, in
    this case I'd go with the Fuji. (Unless, of course, you really want 10X
    Zoom, then it is no contest).
    Bob Williams

    Bob Williams, Sep 8, 2006
  8. Greg Loriman

    m Ransley Guest

    Re: No fun choosing between DMC-TZ1, Fuji F30 and DMC-FX01 - need...

    And there is no comparison of the fuji f30 to TZ1, two totaly different
    cameras, at least you should be comparing similars

    m Ransley, Sep 8, 2006
  9. Greg Loriman

    minnesotti Guest

    Greg Loriman wrote:

    > TMC-TZ1 : 10x optical zoom with OIS and anti-blur in a small space
    > F30 : absurdly high ISO and decent images
    > DMC-FX01 : wide-angle lense

    Half a year ago, I was choosing a camera, and I was choosing from the
    list of cameras involving the mentioned above.

    I am a perfectionist, and I like high performance. This is why the
    ultra-compact FX01 fell of the perch straight away; I went for a larger
    camera which could fit more of a serious technology. I went to the shop
    and made pictures with the cameras I was interested in, and saved them
    on my SD for further review on my computer. No store had F30 or its
    predecessors. My choice narrowed down to LX1 and TZ1. I am more of a
    perfectionist than a high performance lover. This is why I discarded
    TZ1 because it had worse image quality. I bought LX1, and several
    months of the use confirmed to me that I made a satisfying choice.

    minnesotti, Sep 8, 2006
  10. Greg Loriman

    Greg Loriman wrote:
    > "m Ransley" <> wrote
    > > What do you usualy photograph.

    > Thanks for the reply.
    >
    > A pertinant question, but I should have made more explicit in my original
    > post that I am much more interested in subjective opinions than judgments
    > taking into consideration my needs. I hope you'll agree with me that I am a
    > better judge of other people's subjective opinion as applied to my needs
    > than anyone else....

    No, I don't agree at all. Mr Ransleys question was an absolutely
    critical one, particularly when comparing several *quite different
    cameras*. What and how you shoot makes much more difference than
    subjective opinions.

    I'm no fan of analogies, but this really is very much like asking:

    "I need a vehicle - should I get a Honda Civic, a Lamborghini
    Murciélago, a Hummer, a Subaru utility, a 125cc trail bike, or a
    Winnebago?"

    , Sep 8, 2006
  11. Greg Loriman

    minnesotti Guest

    wrote:
    > Greg Loriman wrote:
    > > "m Ransley" <> wrote
    > > > What do you usualy photograph.

    > > Thanks for the reply.
    > >
    > > A pertinant question, but I should have made more explicit in my original
    > > post that I am much more interested in subjective opinions than judgments
    > > taking into consideration my needs. I hope you'll agree with me that I am a
    > > better judge of other people's subjective opinion as applied to my needs
    > > than anyone else....

    > No, I don't agree at all. Mr Ransleys question was an absolutely
    > critical one, particularly when comparing several *quite different
    > cameras*. What and how you shoot makes much more difference than
    > subjective opinions.
    >
    > I'm no fan of analogies, but this really is very much like asking:
    >
    > "I need a vehicle - should I get a Honda Civic, a Lamborghini
    > Murciélago, a Hummer, a Subaru utility, a 125cc trail bike, or a
    > Winnebago?"

    The original question was more like: "I am on the market for a fun
    vehicle -- should I get Civic, Lamorgini or a 125 cc trail bike ?"

    minnesotti, Sep 8, 2006
  12. Greg Loriman

    Guest

    Re: No fun choosing between DMC-TZ1, Fuji F30 and DMC-FX01 - needy...

    minnesotti wrote:
    ....> >
    > > I'm no fan of analogies, but this really is very much like asking:
    > >
    > > "I need a vehicle - should I get a Honda Civic, a Lamborghini
    > > Murciélago, a Hummer, a Subaru utility, a 125cc trail bike, or a
    > > Winnebago?"

    > The original question was more like: "I am on the market for a fun
    > vehicle -- should I get Civic, Lamorgini or a 125 cc trail bike ?"

    Heheh, yep, that's probably more fair.... and that's why I hate
    analogies!!

    , Sep 8, 2006
  13. Greg Loriman

    Greg Loriman Guest

    "Mike Jacoubowsky" <> wrote in message
    >>> What do you usualy photograph.
    >>>

    >> Thanks for the reply.
    >>
    >> A pertinant question, but I should have made more explicit in my original
    >> post that I am much more interested in subjective opinions than judgments
    >> taking into consideration my needs. I hope you'll agree with me that I am
    >> a better judge of other people's subjective opinion as applied to my
    >> needs than anyone else, other than God, of course.
    >>
    >> Greg

    > Er, I *think* I've decoded that, but not sure!
    >
    > But what and how and when you photograph *is* relevant, because some of us
    > may have one of the cameras you're interested in, and we know the pros and
    > cons of the camera for various conditions. For example, I own an F30, and
    > could rattle off pages of observations about it... if I had the time to do
    > so. But with a bit more focus (so to speak), I could concentrate on
    > something that's relevant to you.

    Thanks for the reply.

    Ok, but it must be obvious from what I've written that I can't answer that
    question. I don't have a particular photographic leaning; that's why each of
    these camera's unique abilities are causing me such a problem. I appreciate
    that in attempting to help me that the imprecise question could result in
    you responding with pages of stuff, but there's nothing to stop you only
    giving one or two particularly stand-out observations of your use of one of
    the cameras, which is what I'm looking for. I'm not asking for a full
    description in order to cover all possibilities; rather I am asking for
    anything about these camera's that inspires strong feelings, positive and
    negative.

    I can then contemplate those observations in respect of myself, and by that
    I mean : what do your feelings make me feel. I hope to to sway towards or
    away from the candidates. This isn't a purely rational process because I've
    already done the rational side (reading reviews etc) and I am stuck. So now
    it boils down to whatever strong meat you guys can offer me that might
    resolve the problem.

    Its enough to say, as I mentioned before, I've tried both X and Y and Y was
    way more fun, but X was way more useful. Something similarly unscientific
    even if your observation is for only one camera, or two even though you
    didn't try the second, is just fine.

    Greg

    Greg Loriman, Sep 8, 2006
  14. Greg Loriman

    Greg Loriman Guest

    Re: No fun choosing between DMC-TZ1, Fuji F30 and DMC-FX01 - needy...

    > No, I don't agree at all. Mr Ransleys question was an absolutely
    > critical one, particularly when comparing several *quite different
    > cameras*. What and how you shoot makes much more difference than
    > subjective opinions.
    >
    > I'm no fan of analogies, but this really is very much like asking:
    >
    >> "I need a vehicle - should I get a Honda Civic, a Lamborghini
    >> Murciélago, a Hummer, a Subaru utility, a 125cc trail bike, or a
    >> Winnebago?"

    >The original question was more like: "I am on the market for a fun
    >vehicle -- should I get Civic, Lamorgini or a 125 cc trail bike ?"

    Perfect. Ironic that that is this is just what I am looking for.

    Greg Loriman, Sep 8, 2006
  15. Greg Loriman

    Greg Loriman Guest

    > I'd forger the Panny FX01.
    > It's main "redeeming" feature is a slightly wider angle than the others.
    > But this new WA lens isn't up to Leica's high standard.
    > For a 6MP lens it is not very sharp.
    > See: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfx01/page8.asp
    > The F10 used in this comparison has been replaced by the F30 which is even
    > more full featured and sharper than the F10.
    > See: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/fujifilmf30/page8.asp
    > So it boils down to this.
    > 10X zoom vs 3x zoom......Advantage Panny
    > Low noise images from indoor low light shots.....Advantage Fuji
    > "Gain Up" of Viewing Screen in low light scenes.....Advantage Fuji
    > Although I am a great fan of Panny EVF Superzooms / Leica Lenses, in this
    > case I'd go with the Fuji. (Unless, of course, you really want 10X Zoom,
    > then it is no contest).
    > Bob Williams

    Cool. I like the answer. Thanks.

    Greg Loriman, Sep 8, 2006
  16. Greg Loriman

    Greg Loriman Guest

    >> TMC-TZ1 : 10x optical zoom with OIS and anti-blur in a small space
    >> F30 : absurdly high ISO and decent images
    >> DMC-FX01 : wide-angle lense

    > Half a year ago, I was choosing a camera, and I was choosing from the
    > list of cameras involving the mentioned above.
    >
    > I am a perfectionist, and I like high performance. This is why the
    > ultra-compact FX01 fell of the perch straight away; I went for a larger
    > camera which could fit more of a serious technology. I went to the shop
    > and made pictures with the cameras I was interested in, and saved them
    > on my SD for further review on my computer. No store had F30 or its
    > predecessors. My choice narrowed down to LX1 and TZ1. I am more of a
    > perfectionist than a high performance lover. This is why I discarded
    > TZ1 because it had worse image quality. I bought LX1, and several
    > months of the use confirmed to me that I made a satisfying choice.

    Lovely! Thanks for a great response.

    Greg Loriman, Sep 8, 2006
  17. Greg Loriman

    Greg Loriman wrote:
    > >The original question was more like: "I am on the market for a fun
    > >vehicle -- should I get Civic, Lamorgini or a 125 cc trail bike ?"

    > Perfect. Ironic that that is this is just what I am looking for.

    I'm fascinated with the 'attitude'. Just about every reply has
    suggested it would be useful to tell us what you shoot, but you have
    reacted against that suggestion. We are all wrong and you're right?
    Why is it so difficult to say what you are likely to shoot? Do you
    seriously think it is irrelevant? Or is it simply that you cannot
    possibly ever accept that others might have a bit more of a clue on how
    to go about choosing a camera?

    If you later discover that your choice does not suit your shooting
    style, I suggest you post under a different name.... (O;

    , Sep 8, 2006
  18. Greg Loriman

    minnesotti Guest

    Greg Loriman wrote:

    > Its enough to say, as I mentioned before, I've tried both X and Y and Y was
    > way more fun, but X was way more useful. Something similarly unscientific
    > even if your observation is for only one camera, or two even though you
    > didn't try the second, is just fine.

    Being a scientist, I will equip you with a scientific method. Buy a
    camera which functionality is closest to the average functionality. In
    doing this way, if you find later that the camera's "cool" feature was
    not what you really wanted, then you will have less chances for
    disappointment.

    Applying this principle, you can strike off TZ1. It iz a superzoom
    camera. It may appear that the superzoom capability does nothing for
    you, but then you will find that the camera is not remarkable in other
    capabilities (such as low-light sensitivity or wide-angle image
    quality). Thus, you have the "generalist" cameras F30 and FX01 left.

    Now, you may try to take them in your hands and try to use them. What
    are your impressions ? For example, when I took FX01 in my hands, it
    appeared to me that it makes quite good quality pictures due to
    advanced techologies crammed into the body. It has a small body which
    snugly fits into my palm or into my pocket. If I wanted to go to the
    parties and did not want to feel that my camera is "there in the
    pocket" -- I'd definetely take FX01.

    However, I also know that I want to take pictures of people (e.g. in a
    party) in a room, and _hate_ to use flash. If I used ordinary camera
    (even FX01) without a flash, the quality of the pictures in the dimly
    lit room would be bad or even disgusting. For these situations, I'd
    wanted to get an F30. I did not get it for the reason that I am past
    this stage of my life when I wanted to take pictures of people at a
    party.

    What I really want is a TZ1 camera fitted with a F30 sensor. I would be
    able to whip a camera out of my pocket and take the detailed pictures
    of someone at a distance in a dimly lit room ... e.g. at a concert...
    or of a sexy chick at the other side of the pub without drawing her
    attention :) ...

    minnesotti, Sep 8, 2006
  19. Greg Loriman

    minnesotti Guest

    wrote:
    > Greg Loriman wrote:
    > > >The original question was more like: "I am on the market for a fun
    > > >vehicle -- should I get Civic, Lamorgini or a 125 cc trail bike ?"

    > > Perfect. Ironic that that is this is just what I am looking for.

    > I'm fascinated with the 'attitude'. Just about every reply has
    > suggested it would be useful to tell us what you shoot, but you have
    > reacted against that suggestion.

    OK. Even more correct analogy of the original question would be: "I am
    on the market for a fun vehicle -- tell me about your fun experiences
    with Civic, Lamborgini and 125 cc trail bike". The OP would then pick
    up the car with his kind of fun.

    minnesotti, Sep 8, 2006
  20. Greg Loriman

    Greg Loriman Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Greg Loriman wrote:
    >> >The original question was more like: "I am on the market for a fun
    >> >vehicle -- should I get Civic, Lamorgini or a 125 cc trail bike ?"

    >> Perfect. Ironic that that is this is just what I am looking for.

    > I'm fascinated with the 'attitude'. Just about every reply has
    > suggested it would be useful to tell us what you shoot, but you have
    > reacted against that suggestion.

    So because the majority think one thing I should think it also?

    You'll be glad to know that I don't believe in democracy, which I consider
    akin to mob rule, and so perhaps my "attitude" is consistent with that.

    > We are all wrong and you're right?

    Why not? It works that way often in real life. Many great scientific leaps
    have been under such circumstances. In anycase I'm not quite so immature as
    to have even thought that; rather I assumed I had been misunderstood.

    I'm not arrogant, as you seem to be suggesting in your rather aggressive
    reply.

    > Why is it so difficult to say what you are likely to shoot? Do you
    > seriously think it is irrelevant?

    No, but it simply isn't what I am looking for.

    > Or is it simply that you cannot
    > possibly ever accept that others might have a bit more of a clue on how
    > to go about choosing a camera?

    Perhaps my motivation is something far less silly. That I pointed out the
    fact that you inadvertently contributed to giving me what I was looking for,
    despite your telling me what I really need to do, makes your response quite
    bizzarre; you could be accused of the things you accuse me of.

    > If you later discover that your choice does not suit your shooting
    > style, I suggest you post under a different name.... (O;

    I suggest you restrain your desire to judge and damn.

    Please don't reply.

    Greg Loriman, Sep 8, 2006