No floppy?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=, Oct 2, 2005.

  1. I just received my new Dell server with RAID array, but sans-floppy and OS.
    How do I load the RAID drivers without F6 being able to access a floppy?

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=, Oct 2, 2005

  2. "Mike" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > I just received my new Dell server with RAID array, but sans-floppy
    > and OS. How do I load the RAID drivers without F6 being able to
    > access a floppy?

    You need to buy a floppy drive, and install it. Right now there is no other
    way to do this. (either a USB floppy drive if your CMOS supports it, or a
    regular floppy drive)

    --

    -------------------------------------
    Wayne Wastier

    Wayne Wastier, Oct 2, 2005

  3. Never mind. I was trying to use Dell Server Installation 2.3 which wouldn't
    load x64. When I switched to 2.4 it worked fine.

    Cheers

    =?Utf-8?B?TWlrZQ==?=, Oct 2, 2005
  4. Glad to hear Dell has finally integrated the drivers into their CD.

    I keep a spare USB floppy around for those that will work with USB, and an
    old floppy I pulled out of the last machine I sent off to the recycler for
    those that don't do USB cleanly. When I need to use an F6 driver, I plug in
    one or the other and do it. A PITA, and one that will go away with Vista,
    finally.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 2, 2005
  5. Could the going away with Vista have something to do with WinPE? ;)
    --
    Andre
    Extended64 | http://www.extended64.com

    Andre Da Costa [Extended64], Oct 2, 2005
  6. No comment.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 2, 2005
  7. I finally discovered why people are having such difficulty with RAID and
    FLOPPY drives, the BIOS on my Gigabyte motherboard by default is causing the
    problem. Everyone MUST "Enable" the "Seek for Floppy Drive" in the advanced
    settings of BIOS. Ever since I can remember, this setting has been by
    default, set on disable on most motherboard manufactures BIOS.

    =?Utf-8?B?TWFyaw==?=, Nov 16, 2005
  8. On Dell servers, you ALLWAYS have a CD called Installation and Server
    Management CD.

    All the needed drivers are on that CD. You boot on it, you will have a
    wizard helping you to configure the RAID, then you put all the informations
    (user, network conf,...) you chose your OS and...THAT's ALL !

    Windows 2003 has all the PERC drivers included so no even need to use F6.

    Finally, any USB floppy drive is supported on the x8xx generation.

    --
    DELL Expert Center Senior Analyst

    =?Utf-8?B?Tmljb2xhcw==?=, Feb 10, 2006